Dublin GAA Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Dublin GAA Thread

Post by nelly the elephant »

Donny B. wrote:Pat Gilroy has apparently resigned as the Dublin Manager.

He made some mistakes this year but overall he made a massive impact in his four years in charge and got us an All Ireland.

Thanks Pat.
Well said.

Kudos to Pat......we've all seen tremendously committed men (Gerry McCaul,Tom Carr,Pillar etc) come up short despite having(apparently) the resources in place to bring Sam back to Átha Cliath....he's given his all and 4 years is enough for everyone concerned. Time for a new face(s) to freshen things up.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

This is just off the top of my head, but would Jason Ryan be a viable candidate to replace him?
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Donny B. wrote:Pat Gilroy has apparently resigned as the Dublin Manager.

He made some mistakes this year but overall he made a massive impact in his four years in charge and got us an All Ireland.

Thanks Pat.
I'm a little surprised really. Considering where they were before he took over I don't think he's done a bad job.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Donny B. wrote:This is just off the top of my head, but would Jason Ryan be a viable candidate to replace him?
Politically? No, i wouldn't have thought so. It would have to be a Dub(not saying I necessarily agree, just the way it is)

Jim Gavin would appear a likely candidate as he's done a tremendous job with the U21's this past few years. My brother has worked a lot with him in the course of his GAA wrting for the "Hedild" and speaks very highly of him. Very committed and innovative I believe.....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Donny B. wrote:This is just off the top of my head, but would Jason Ryan be a viable candidate to replace him?
Politically? No, i wouldn't have thought so. It would have to be a Dub(not saying I necessarily agree, just the way it is)

Jim Gavin would appear a likely candidate as he's done a tremendous job with the U21's this past few years. My brother has worked a lot with him in the course of his GAA wrting for the "Hedild" and speaks very highly of him. Very committed and innovative I believe.....
Gavin seems to be a shoe-in alright and seems to have a decent pedigree. Ryan was only a suggestion because he recently left the Wexford job and did a good job there. Some bigger county will no doubt take a chance on him and I wouldn't be surprised if he did well. Kildare perhaps?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

it's between Gavin and Dessie, they are saying.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Is Farrell in charge of the Minors at the moment?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Cianostays wrote:Is Farrell in charge of the Minors at the moment?

Yep......I have to say that he seems to enjoy his job with the GPA at the moment....I can't see him wanting to give that up(a likely event should he want to take up the Dubs senior football job)
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Donny B. wrote:

Gavin seems to be a shoe-in alright and seems to have a decent pedigree. Ryan was only a suggestion because he recently left the Wexford job and did a good job there. Some bigger county will no doubt take a chance on him and I wouldn't be surprised if he did well. Kildare perhaps?
Apparently Kildare are looking(perhaps surprisingly?) at extending Geezer's sojourn there......it was a very disappointing ending to a season that promised much for them....maybe one final hurrah?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:it's between Gavin and Dessie, they are saying.
Think the Dessie talk is frankly nonsense. He may get promoted to Under-21 manager if Gavin gets the top job, nice bit of succession there. But he's nowhere near ready for the top job yet.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

From what I've heard Dessie will move to U-21 after Gavin moves to the seniors.

Not a bad year for the minors really. All Ireland finals in both codes.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Broken Wing wrote:From what I've heard Dessie will move to U-21 after Gavin moves to the seniors.

Hopefully they can win one of the finals this year.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Broken Wing wrote:From what I've heard Dessie will move to U-21 after Gavin moves to the seniors.

Speaking of which...kudos for the oul alma mater......proud days indeed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 54609.html
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Dubs minor hurlers were well on top in 1st half....should have been further ahead. doing themselves justice at least...hope then can pull it off....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Ciaran Kilkenny off to Australia to play that poxy sport.

Hopefully he'll be back before too long.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/ciaran-k ... -0032571-1

Great news!!! :D

Ciaran Kilkenny performs dramatic u-turn on Aussie Rules career
27 minutes ago

Only weeks after moving down under, Ciaran Kilkenny has turned his back on a career in Australian Rules Football.

The Castleknock youngster, who made a significant impact in his first season with the Dubs senior footballers last season and was an underage star in both codes in the past, released a statement this morning explaining his decision to cut his ties to Hawthorn with immediate effect.

Kilkenny had been linked with a move to Aussie Rules for a long time prior to confirmation of his move to Hawthorn was confirmed last September, two months before he travelled to Melbourne to link up with his new team-mates.

At that stage, Kilkenny spoke of returning to Ireland in “six or eight years”, but judging by his statement at least, it seems as if homesickness and a desire to return to the GAA played a big part in his decision to call time on his Australian experience.

Kilkenny praised Hawthorn and commented on how he enjoyed the challenges posed by playing AFL, but added: “Seeing Australia and a different way of life, also served to bring home to me the things that make Ireland so special.

“Obviously family and friends are important but I also came to really appreciate the things that make Ireland unique such as the people in general, the way of life and of course the GAA.

“As much as I enjoyed the lifestyle of a professional Aussie Rules player and relished the challenge of achieving in a different code, I realised that it would never matter as much to me as the sense of community and joy I get from togging out and playing alongside the people with whom I grew up and live.

“Achieving success and realising my potential as a hurler and footballer with my club and county will always be more important to me than any of the benefits to be obtained from professional sport.”

Kilkenny’s statement can be read in full here and while it would have been interesting to see how far he would have gone in the AFL, his return will also be welcomed by new Dublin boss Jim Gavin and Dublin supporters looking forward to seeing one of the brightest talents in the GAA appear in a sky blue jersey once again.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Donny B. wrote:http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/ciaran-k ... -0032571-1

Great news!!! :D

Ciaran Kilkenny performs dramatic u-turn on Aussie Rules career
27 minutes ago

Only weeks after moving down under, Ciaran Kilkenny has turned his back on a career in Australian Rules Football.

The Castleknock youngster, who made a significant impact in his first season with the Dubs senior footballers last season and was an underage star in both codes in the past, released a statement this morning explaining his decision to cut his ties to Hawthorn with immediate effect.

Kilkenny had been linked with a move to Aussie Rules for a long time prior to confirmation of his move to Hawthorn was confirmed last September, two months before he travelled to Melbourne to link up with his new team-mates.

At that stage, Kilkenny spoke of returning to Ireland in “six or eight years”, but judging by his statement at least, it seems as if homesickness and a desire to return to the GAA played a big part in his decision to call time on his Australian experience.

Kilkenny praised Hawthorn and commented on how he enjoyed the challenges posed by playing AFL, but added: “Seeing Australia and a different way of life, also served to bring home to me the things that make Ireland so special.

“Obviously family and friends are important but I also came to really appreciate the things that make Ireland unique such as the people in general, the way of life and of course the GAA.

“As much as I enjoyed the lifestyle of a professional Aussie Rules player and relished the challenge of achieving in a different code, I realised that it would never matter as much to me as the sense of community and joy I get from togging out and playing alongside the people with whom I grew up and live.

“Achieving success and realising my potential as a hurler and footballer with my club and county will always be more important to me than any of the benefits to be obtained from professional sport.”

Kilkenny’s statement can be read in full here and while it would have been interesting to see how far he would have gone in the AFL, his return will also be welcomed by new Dublin boss Anthony Daly and Dublin supporters looking forward to seeing one of the brightest talents in the GAA appear in a sky blue jersey once again.
Great news indeed....for Dublin's hurlers! :wink:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Donny B. wrote:Ciaran Kilkenny off to Australia to play that poxy sport.

Hopefully he'll be back before too long.
I was oddly prescient! :wink:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

It will open the debate as to what he should play alright. He was a star for the Dublin minor hurlers alright but a chap I work with who's seen a lot more of him than me reckons he's a far better footballer.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Donny B. wrote:
It will open the debate as to what he should play alright. He was a star for the Dublin minor hurlers alright but a chap I work with who's seen a lot more of him than me reckons he's a far better footballer.
Fair enough....good to see him back regardless. As he had broken into the senior football squad last year i assume you're correct that Jim Gavin will enjoy his services. It's just really unfortunate that the notion of the dual player(at Intercounty level) is redundant in this day and age. The level of commitment required is one thing but the total inflexibility of both (potential) management teams is another and more important factor. Shame. :(