Leinster v Exeter

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fireworks
Mullet

Leinster v Exeter

Post by Fireworks »

One hurdle cleared and another ahead next Saturday at 6. Assuming there are no injuries I think this is a game where we have to blow them away from the start. I was a fan of keeping a few big guns on the bench to hit a tiring side but with Exeter I think we need to hit them with everything we have from the start.

15: Rob Kearney
14: Isa Nacewa
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Isaac Boss

1: Cian Healy
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Sean O'Brien
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

16: Sean Cronin
17: Heinke van der Merwe
18: Michael Bent
19: Kevin McLaughlin
20: Rhys Ruddock
21: Eoin Reddan
22: Ian Madigan
23: Fergus McFadden

I might reverse the placings at 2 as Strauss is just coming back from injury and at 19 I am taking a bit of a flier. If Kevin could do a job in the row for 20 min I would have him in as outside of scrum time it would give us an additional back row to inflict damage. In reality might be safer with an actual second row.
No23
Bookworm

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by No23 »

Cronin should retain his place and FMcF deserves to start instead of Nacewa
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

No23 wrote:Cronin should retain his place and FMcF deserves to start instead of Nacewa
Would not disagree with Cronin but thought Nacewa was better tonight than Fergus. There is talk of BOD needing a scan on his good ankle so if any problems there then how about Luke at 13 and Fergus takes his vacant wing. Is this too much of an experiment.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Fireworks wrote:
No23 wrote:Cronin should retain his place and FMcF deserves to start instead of Nacewa
Would not disagree with Cronin but thought Nacewa was better tonight than Fergus. There is talk of BOD needing a scan on his good ankle so if any problems there then how about Luke at 13 and Fergus takes his vacant wing. Is this too much of an experiment.
yes (too much of an experiment). only changes i'd contemplate from tonight's starting lineup would be bod and o'brien if fit. otherwise i would be happy with today's team sheet. fine performance from the boys, i am excited about the trip to exeter already
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

berniemac67 wrote:
Fireworks wrote:
yes (too much of an experiment). only changes i'd contemplate from tonight's starting lineup would be bod and o'brien if fit. otherwise i would be happy with today's team sheet. fine performance from the boys, i am excited about the trip to exeter already
If BOD cant train at full tilt this week id have Ferg starting.
If BOD is fine this week id start Ferg on the wing.
Hoping Exeter are looking to preserve their front liners for the premiership and roll over to have their tummy's tickled..... But i doubt it!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I feel for Ferg he got a run in one position and was on electric form now he's back on the bench (possible) or filling in in centre for injured players.

Never thought I'd say it but Ferg might be more useful on the wing at the moment than Isa.

I would really like to see Damian Browne back in the running next week, Dev was entering the ruck from the side all evening but got away with it mostly.

Cian was absolutely immense. Came off a collapsed scrum with enough presence of mind to take a quick kick from Isaac B.

BOD on the pitch for twenty fecking minutes and gets injured. We're overdue some luck in that department. Did he come off or stay on 'til the final whistle?

Right, roll on next week.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Peg Leg wrote: Hoping Exeter are looking to preserve their front liners for the premiership and roll over to have their tummy's tickled..... But i doubt it!
I'd say it's more likely they'll feel they were robbed in the RDS and will be out for revenge.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

outcast eddie wrote:I feel for Ferg he got a run in one position and was on electric form now he's back on the bench (possible) or filling in in centre for injured players.

Never thought I'd say it but Ferg might be more useful on the wing at the moment than Isa.

I would really like to see Damian Browne back in the running next week, Dev was entering the ruck from the side all evening but got away with it mostly.

Cian was absolutely immense. Came off a collapsed scrum with enough presence of mind to take a quick kick from Isaac B.

BOD on the pitch for twenty fecking minutes and gets injured. We're overdue some luck in that department. Did he come off or stay on 'til the final whistle?

a bit harsh on toner. he added a lot in the lineout pressing them to throw to the front where leo stole and disrupted a lot of ball. toner or browne, i guess the choice depends on how we're giong to play and where we expect more engagement
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

outcast eddie wrote:I feel for Ferg he got a run in one position and was on electric form now he's back on the bench (possible) or filling in in centre for injured players.

Not sure you can give out to Toner for that one as I think he was just following Leo. Leo appears to have that special skill of entering the side door but being invisible to the ref.

If Browne was back I think I would keep him on the bench.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Always weary of a player coming back from injury and starting from the bench! What happens if he comes on in 60mins and crokes it 5 mins later?
Daniel Sullivan
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I'll answer my own question about BOD. Just re-watched, he obviously stayed on and seemed to have only a slight limp while walking around shaking hands after the final whistle.

I'd like to think he'll be starting next week unless Kidders has a hand in things.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

outcast eddie wrote:I'll answer my own question about BOD. Just re-watched, he obviously stayed on and seemed to have only a slight limp while walking around shaking hands after the final whistle.

I'd like to think he'll be starting next week unless Kidders has a hand in things.
Shiite, meant to mention that somewhere!
Daniel Sullivan
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Did anyone else see when the medics ran back on after examining BOD and tried to literally drag him off? He was having none of it, and seemed to be gesturing up to joe in the box saying feck off basically! LOL
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

AdamK wrote:Did anyone else see when the medics ran back on after examining BOD and tried to literally drag him off? He was having none of it, and seemed to be gesturing up to joe in the box saying feck off basically! LOL
Tried to do that with the last ankle too and came off fairly bleedin rapid after. He must drive them up the wall!
Daniel Sullivan
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Anyone else feel Reddan was quite poor once again and exceptionally slow to the break down? Very out of character and his intended role quickening up of the game was completely the opposite I felt on this occasion. Very fond of him as a player, but he's had a pretty poor season thus far imo.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Yes. I have to admit that i was a few beers in, in a bar devoid of atmosphere with some Americans that weren't entirely interested, but i felt we fell way off the boil when Reddan came on. Thought we could have scored another couple without the changes
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Yeah, some of Reddan's passes were too obvious, and a little laboured. I wonder if it's a fitness thing, but his lightning quick delivery has won us Heineken cups, literally.
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

did Kidney have anything to do with BOD being on the bench tonight I wonder.......fresh for 6 Nations. Or is he just being kept in reserve for when needed, he was very sharp when he came on.

Lions tour captain and depending on form the test captain. Even 3/4's fit the stand out 13 option for the Lions, outside J.Davies
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

You're demonstrating an Oldschool (I'm assuming you'll take this as a compliment Oldschool) level of paranoia... Kidney will not tell us who to play in a crucial HC game. More likely, Schmidt thought tonight was an easier run than next week and wanted BOD to come through a shorter test than next week (McFadden could have covered either of Fitz or Nacewa - with Nacewa to cover Kearney and BOD to come on if either of the first two had been having a mare/injured/not fit enough).
Expect BOD to start next week with Fitz, Kearney and McFadden in back as Nacewa looked most under cooked today. Again, should any of above underperform, Nacewa can be brought in... pretty nice situation to be in.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

McFadden falls victim to his versatility tag again. Leinster's best player for two and a bit months on the wing, gets shunted inside to allow for injuries/niggles, produces his worst performance and sees the left winger score and play a blinder. Even if he sees otherwise, he's not a centre. He's not creative enough. It's a bit like Shane Horgan part deux.

If everyone is fit, McFadden's versatility will probably see him warm the bench with the only change being BOD at 13.

Joe Schmidt obviously knows more than me (I'm sure many of you disagree, but that's the reality :D ) but for me Nacewa, not Kearney, is our best 15 so realistically it should McFadden, Fitz and Kearney fighting it out for position 11 and 14. I know some people here dismissed this point last season, but I still get the feeling if Nacewa was Irish qualified, he'd be playing 15 for Leinster