A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by Hippo »

mikey wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
suisse wrote:McFadden starts. Luke, Rob and Isa battling for the last 2 spots. If I was picking,

9. Boss 10. JS 11. Fitz 12. D'arcy 13. BOD 14. Ferg 15. Isa
You can't drop Rob, surely?
Hell of an impact sub though!!
No, Rob has to play.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mikey wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
suisse wrote:McFadden starts. Luke, Rob and Isa battling for the last 2 spots. If I was picking,

9. Boss 10. JS 11. Fitz 12. D'arcy 13. BOD 14. Ferg 15. Isa
You can't drop Rob, surely?
Hell of an impact sub though!!
No, Isa would be a better impact sub in my view. Although Shaggy was saying last night that Ferg took a knock on the knee and that may make the decision for Joe.

Interestingly Shaggy also wanted Rhys Ruddock to start, either in the backrow or second row because he considers him the best player at Leinster for clearing our rucks since Thorn left.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ah Suisse, I know you are firmly in the "Isa would be playing full-back if he was Irish" brigade but seriously, that one is pretty much put to bed these days. We are a better team with Rob at 15, not only because of what he brings to the team - the fielding, the scoring rate (better than Isa's isn't it?), the long boot (the opposite of a siege cannon which is an up an under type of gun), the odd crucial dropper from distance. But also for the confidence that oozes through teams with him at the back. The forwards know that if they work it up the pitch and it gets booted back the fockers will rue the day. Teams have options cut off from them when he plays.

And Isa has been not great this year. Came back from the holliers a trifle tubby and hasn't hit his best yet.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

The ref hasn't been announced yet, has he?

Having gone back through some of the stats and stuff, that for me is the most crucial selection of all.
It will be nigh on impossible to score 4 tries against Exeter at home. However, it will be impossible if we have a ref like we had last weekend that turns a blind eye to constant infringing at the breakdown. Exeter are very good at slowing the ball down.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

curates_egg wrote:The ref hasn't been announced yet, has he?

Having gone back through some of the stats and stuff, that for me is the most crucial selection of all.
It will be nigh on impossible to score 4 tries against Exeter at home. However, it will be impossible if we have a ref like we had last weekend that turns a blind eye to constant infringing at the breakdown. Exeter are very good at slowing the ball down.
It's roman poite which I'm personally pleased with. If we get the push on the scrum we will get loads of penalties from him regardless of who's fault it is (we know this from experience! HC 11). Excluding that I think poite is a pretty decent ref and not afraid to police the breakdown without overdoing it.

We had one miracle with him in 2011, let's hope for another one in 2013!
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bluemagic wrote:
It's roman poite which I'm personally pleased with. If we get the push on the scrum we will get loads of penalties from him regardless of who's fault it is (we know this from experience! HC 11). Excluding that I think poite is a pretty decent ref and not afraid to police the breakdown without overdoing it.

Can't agree. Do you remember the Grand Final last season? He was shocking, making it up as he went along and his crucial binning of White at the end was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. A terrible ego-maniac of a ref.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If I remember correctly, he gave Mike Ross an awful time on his Ireland debut and I know there are other examples of Ross struggling with him but can't think of them now.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:If I remember correctly, he gave Mike Ross an awful time on his Ireland debut and I know there are other examples of Ross struggling with him but can't think of them now.
Poite gets praised for his handling of the scrums but I can never understand why. Basically he makes up his mind before the game who's got the better scrum and gives them penalties no matter what they do. He also lets teams away with scrummaging illegally once they're moving forward. He's Northampton's favourite ref cause he lets them stand-up and just push forward.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I don't get it either Donny. It's not like the things he lets go aren't obvious either.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Form back line would have Isa on the Bench IMO.
We'll need to play it smart in tight for this one, is Browne definitely out?
Hope we see the ball been moved about in a more sensible manner than we tried in the RDS last week. I know we can create overlaps and find gaps by moving the ball at pace, but a team like Exeter seem to feed off shutting the door. Constantly trying to engineer a gap by trucking up phase one and coming round the corner with strike runners phase two won't cut the mustard if Exeter defend like they did in round 1!! Keep them down their end of the pitch and let them clear their lines with RK waiting in the long grass (then employ the strike running, change of direction, running loops, pop passes..... jaysus we've been spoilt for the last few yrs)!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Donny B. wrote:
bluemagic wrote:

Can't agree. Do you remember the Grand Final last season? He was shocking, making it up as he went along and his crucial binning of White at the end was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. A terrible ego-maniac of a ref.
I don't think he's a great ref but the first few scrums of the game tends to decide who he gives penalties to which should be good for us. With regards to the white sin binning I think he likes to show he's not affected by the home crowd and makes 50/50 decisions against them which is good for us as well
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bluemagic wrote:
I don't think he's a great ref but the first few scrums of the game tends to decide who he gives penalties to which should be good for us. With regards to the white sin binning I think he likes to show he's not affected by the home crowd and makes 50/50 decisions against them which is good for us as well
Are you forgetting the home match against Exeter? We were far from dominant at the scrum.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Donny B. wrote:
bluemagic wrote:
Are you forgetting the home match against Exeter? We were far from dominant at the scrum.
Yeah but nothing really clicked with us that day. Away to Claremont when we were playing well our scrum dominated theirs and they dominated Exeter. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation but when were playing well our scrum tends to be good and when were playing badly our scrum tends to be bad.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hang on a second, our scrum is still far off the boil, for whatever reason (TH lock imo), I for one certainly hope we don't bank on that being an aspect of our game, especially with Poite.

However I am happy enough with Poite. I'd have preferred Owens, but atleast Poite isn't a home town ref. Sure he was awful for the Pro12 final last year, but he's also a ref that rewards teams who play at pace and forward momentum. We know him now and I think that'll work to our advantage.
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

Donny B. wrote:
bluemagic wrote:
they have front row injuries now though...
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I see SOB is practicing his darts in lineout training in yesterday's training pics. :D
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Donny B. wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
Donny B. wrote:We have to stop building Exeter up to something the're not.

Clermont put 12 tries on them in two games. We should fecking hammer them!
You said the same about Clermont a few days before they came to the Aviva didnt you? :)

I agree with you, but YOU shouldnt be the one saying it. Youre bad luck.
Sad but true. :oops:

I hereby withdraw my remarks and now think we'll do well to keep Exeter to just the fifty points!
The mocker Gods are suitably impressed Donny! :D
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:You said the same about Clermont a few days before they came to the Aviva didnt you? :)

I agree with you, but YOU shouldnt be the one saying it. Youre bad luck.
Sad but true. :oops:

I hereby withdraw my remarks and now think we'll do well to keep Exeter to just the fifty points!
The mocker Gods are suitably impressed Donny! :D
I'm not so sure. I appreciate the intent but the damage may well have been done.

We'll only know come Saturday night, and if it all goes wrong I know exactly who I'll be blaming.
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

Donny B. wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:If I remember correctly, he gave Mike Ross an awful time on his Ireland debut and I know there are other examples of Ross struggling with him but can't think of them now.
Poite gets praised for his handling of the scrums but I can never understand why. Basically he makes up his mind before the game who's got the better scrum and gives them penalties no matter what they do. He also lets teams away with scrummaging illegally once they're moving forward. He's Northampton's favourite ref cause he lets them stand-up and just push forward.

I think it's purely because he's French (that he gets those plaudits) i.e. some people seem to think that all French refs are automatically supremos at scrum time.I consider him erratic in all aspects of the game.
finchamdl
Learner

Post by finchamdl »

anyone going to exeter i'm just thinking that maybe we should all try to congregate on a specific carriage of one of the trains going from Exeter st Davids to Digby & Sowton (the station next to Sandy Park) for a bit of a sing song. I'm thinking maybe we could all try to meet on the front carriage of either the 4:18 train or the 4:50 train. what do you guys think?