Leinster v Exeter

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by HUDSOC »

finchamdl wrote:anyone going to exeter i'm just thinking that maybe we should all try to congregate on a specific carriage of one of the trains going from Exeter st Davids to Digby & Sowton (the station next to Sandy Park) for a bit of a sing song. I'm thinking maybe we could all try to meet on the front carriage of either the 4:18 train or the 4:50 train. what do you guys think?
I'm planning to be already well in the vicinity of the ground by then, wherever Skysports is available (we're reliably informed the 'Wigwam bar' is the place) - making sure Toulon do the needful vs. Montpellier.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Speaking of going to Exeter... Even tho I'm not going I cannot wait till the away guide is out just for the Joe speech. Gonna have to be epic.... ;)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

AdamK wrote:Speaking of going to Exeter... Even tho I'm not going I cannot wait till the away guide is out just for the Joe speech. Gonna have to be epic.... ;)
It's out already
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Yes, bedtime reading sorted. Tell me a story Joe!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

As expected Exeter are well up for this weekend:

From IT

HEINEKEN CUP: In order to progress to the knock-out stages for the eight time in nine years, Leinster will almost certainly need a bonus point win away to Exeter Chiefs on Saturday. But it is a measure of the task facing the champions that Clermont’s 46-12, six tries to nil win in Sandy Park in the second round of Heineken Cup pool matches is the only time Exeter have conceded an attacking bonus point in 37 Premiership or European matches at their Devon fortress since winning promotion two and a half seasons ago.

Furthermore, such is the price of their successes in recent years, that whenever Leinster come to town it is usually a marque fixture for the home side and Sandy Park is already close to a 10,744 sell-out.

“I think it’s probably, in a lot of ways, the game that our supporters have been looking forward to the most all season really,” their coach, Rob Baxter, told The Irish Times yesterday. “Obviously to welcome the current Heineken Cup champions to our ground in our first season in the Heineken Cup is a fantastic reward for them really. A lot of them have been there for a long time and they’ve watched us play a lot less prestigious fixtures than this one.

“They’ve been part of quite a long journey and it’s certainly one that we intend competing in to our absolute utmost. Although we can’t qualify, we are big believers in the integrity of cup competitions and as far as we’re concerned we’re going to put our best available team on the pitch, and as in every other Heineken Cup game, we’re going to go for it.”

In contrast to Leinster, Ulster travel to a Castres side who have little hope of even reaching the Amlin and will be mindful of a trek to Bayonne the following Thursday, while Munster host a Racing side who only have the Amlin Challenge Cup to play for and may also be acutely mindful of a trek to Bordeaux the ensuing Friday. The 16th round of Top 14 matches have been brought forward so as the French squad can meet up for the Six Nations on Saturday week.

Out of position

Toward the end of their 46-3 defeat away to Clermont last Saturday, as in the first meeting, Exeter ended up with players out of position (a hooker in the backrow, both outhalves on the pitch) and they will continue to assess Argentinian winger Gonzalo Camacho and centre Phil Dollman, but could also start Aussie international Dean Mumm and recall Fijian star Sireli Naqelevuki.

“There will be a couple of changes but certainly not wholesale changes,” said Baxter, “but we’ve been rotating players more this season as we feel we have a bigger squad this season and we certainly feel we’ll be competitive at the weekend.”

The Chiefs can also draw confidence from the 9-6 defeat at the RDS in round one, when they had a kick to draw the game, although Baxter admits Leinster are in a better place now, which is also what he wants.

“We’ve talked about this week with the players; this is the type of game you want to test yourself in. Leinster coming here, with the pressure on them to win but maybe a bit more than a win and that makes it a fantastic challenge that we’ve got to relish and enjoy. I’m really looking forward to it, and we learned some tough lessons in Clermont against a very good side, and particularly that the little bits matter the most.”

Exeter were disappointed to lose their unbeaten home record this season in the Aviva Premiership in a 30-19 defeat a fortnight ago, though even then the Saints become only the fifth away side to manage as much as five tries in 29 Premiership games at Sandy Park.
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

I read that article on the train this morning and would like something clarified

Could somebody read the first and last paragraphs and tell me whether they don't directly contradict each other
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

blaker wrote:I read that article on the train this morning and would like something clarified

Could somebody read the first and last paragraphs and tell me whether they don't directly contradict each other
Poorly written/edited more than contradictory I'd guess. The Saints got only three tries in that win. Gerry was probably trying to save something, changed it to something else but then didn't proof it and it's ultimately just nonsense.
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Was 5.30 am and I re-read it 5 times - wasn't sure if I was half asleep or the article was wrong!
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
shoutsloudly

Post by shoutsloudly »

Hi All
Just to popped into clarify that we have had two teams score a try bonus point at Sandy Park out of a total of 41 games in all competitions . Bath got one in the LV cup against are academy side and of course Clermont. None in the our 29 premiership games. Looking forward to a great game of rugby and what is for us a massive occasion hosting the current European champions at Home 2 1/2 years after being promoted. We look forward to welcoming you and have a safe trip.
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

shoutsloudly wrote:Hi All
Just to popped into clarify that we have had two teams score a try bonus point at Sandy Park out of a total of 41 games in all competitions . Bath got one in the LV cup against are academy side and of course Clermont. None in the our 29 premiership games. Looking forward to a great game of rugby and what is for us a massive occasion hosting the current European champions at Home 2 1/2 years after being promoted. We look forward to welcoming you and have a safe trip.

Easy on there Buzz Killington :D

I can see Leinster losing this, winning it ugly or romping home........in that order. If this was the first game of the group we'd be far more circumspect.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Wouldn't count the LV cup any more than we'd count the British and Irish cup to be honest.
Panasonic
Beginner

Post by Panasonic »

it seems we gonna meet again at Clermont-Ferrand :wink:
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Looks like it'll be a cool, crisp and (most likely) dry day in Exeter on Saturday.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

blaker wrote:

I can see Leinster losing this, winning it ugly or romping home........in that order. If this was the first game of the group we'd be far more circumspect.
How's the view from up there on the fence. :D
We're all red on the inside.
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Munsterboy wrote:
blaker wrote:

How's the view from up there on the fence. :D
So many viewpoints - its hard to say.....
go_on_the_poni
Bookworm

Post by go_on_the_poni »

i'd keep an eye on the weather. as it's not looking great.
http://metcheck.com/UK/dayforecast.asp? ... eter&day=3

london is due for heavy snow friday and saturday so i'd check it again on friday.
rarrr
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Donny B. wrote:We have to stop building Exeter up to something the're not.

Clermont put 12 tries on them in two games. We should fecking hammer them!
Yes but let’s not pretend that it's something easy. In 37 games at Sandy park they have lost 12 times, but only twice in that time have they been beaten giving up a winning bonus point to the opposition. To say Leinster can go there and win is one thing and of course quite achievable, but to say we can do it with a bonus point is entirely different, also if Toulon do not win, we could be looking at having to score 6 try's for some insurance against Munster who play the day after us.

The thing is with Exeter, you may beat them, but not by much. Make no mistake here we are up against it with a mountain to climb. Also, remember that on paper and based on recent glory we have a team that can score from anywhere a bag full of try's , but this year mainly for a lack of season and player continuity we have not managed it. I don’t think people realise how much more kidney has interrupted our preparation time with 2 extra Ireland meeting this year over other years. We have scored 8 trys in the h-cup, a p!ss poor Munster have scored 9. We are all hoping that it will click and happen, but it is hope and not based on form.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we can do this, but I'm not going to underestimate the task or Exeter.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

rosscarrick wrote:I see Sky are showing the worthless Scarlets Clermont game ahead of the important Exeter Leinster game.
We seem to be on the red button - which I dont have.

Will this change when they look at the games?
It say's we are on the red button online, but on the Rugby Club thay said we are not.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

BlueBlue wrote:
Donny B. wrote:We have to stop building Exeter up to something the're not.

Clermont put 12 tries on them in two games. We should fecking hammer them!
Yes but let’s not pretend that it's something easy. In 37 games at Sandy park they have lost 12 times, but only twice in that time have they been beaten giving up a winning bonus point to the opposition. To say Leinster can go there and win is one thing and of course quite achievable, but to say we can do it with a bonus point is entirely different, also if Toulon do not win, we could be looking at having to score 6 try's for some insurance against Munster who play the day after us.

The thing is with Exeter, you may beat them, but not by much. Make no mistake here we are up against it with a mountain to climb. Also, remember that on paper and based on recent glory we have a team that can score from anywhere a bag full of try's , but this year mainly for a lack of season and player continuity we have not managed it. I don’t think people realise how much more kidney has interrupted our preparation time with 2 extra Ireland meeting this year over other years. We have scored 8 trys in the h-cup, a p!ss poor Munster have scored 9. We are all hoping that it will click and happen, but it is hope and not based on form.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we can do this, but I'm not going to underestimate the task or Exeter.

Well said. We have the quality to do the job but this is not a poor side we are facing. If we do this and get through then I know we will celebrate but I doubt we will do a Munster and call it the miracle game and put out DVDs and talk about it for the rest of time.
bilco
Beginner

Post by bilco »

At training in UCD today McFadden sitting on the sideline with his left knee heavily strapped. Not sure they’re writing him off altogether though as there was no other outside back standing with the matchday subs. Team looks like …

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Cullen
5. Toner
6. McLaughlin
7. O’Brien
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. Darcy