Thank you Isa

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Thank you Isa

Post by deco »

Just heard confirmation on RTE that he is retiring at the end of this season.

My favourite memory of him is his individual try versus Leicester in the 2011 quarter final in Landsdowne Rd.

Thank you Isa and good luck.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Thank you Isa

Post by Flash Gordon »

Devastating news. Been arguably our stand out player for his time here. With Johnny gone, possibly drico and Luke crocked our back line is in pretty poor shape!!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Sad to see him go, a brilliant player for the province.

Gerry Thornley reporting a Saffa has been targeted as a replacement.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Gutted :cry:
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

:cry: Been carrying this news since the end of Jan. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow, but at least I can talk publicly about it now....... Therapy. :(

Unbelievable player. Unbeleivable bloke. Hope we get the chance to give him a good seeing off.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Hell of a guy who always has time for a chat with the fans. Has been the best overseas signing we ever made imo. As I said on facebook, any time a Leinster Player fields a ball they'd no right to or makes a massive hit that mocks his frame I'll still be shouting:

ISA ISA ISA ISA

Thanks for the memories Isa and the best of look to you and your family back in NZ. You'll always get a heroes welcome back in the RDS. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

What a player, what an example.

It's going to be tough without him.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It's getting to the stage that I'm afraid to come onto this site with all the bad news going about. Isa is a Leinster star, a brilliant FB and a big match player. However, it was his attitude and commitment during the AIs and 6Ns periods that stood him out as a special player. His professionalism and sense of responsibility when the other senior players were off on international duty must have had a deeply positive affect of the younger players. Indeed he was out this time around and the young lads were brilliant. That may be his enduring legacy.
Thank you Isa, and have a happy retirement.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Yeah had heard this roughly the same time as you John but sad to see it in lights all the same.

Magnificent player and synonymous with our successes and best performances. Hope everything works out for him

Remarkable situation we are now in with very serious injuries and retirements. Whittaker, Sexton, Dempsey, Isa, Horgan, Fitz, BOD* - that 2009 backline is gone (or LT injured). Over to you Joe, Dave Kearney, Fergus, Luke, McGrath, Madigan et al.
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Thank you for everything Isa and good luck to you and ur family back home

My favourite performance was a miserable wet Thursday night vs Treviso two years ago. We had a team of kids out, Ida was incredible, fielded balls everywhere, scored a smashing try and was truly class

Thanks Isa
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

With all the rumours going round, I'd pretty much given up on him being here next season. Sad to see him go and immensely grateful for all the brilliant memories. When he originally signed his current contract, he did talk about retiring after it, so I was kinda surprised when he signed that extension.

Wishing him all the best for the future for him and his family. Like Felipe, he'll always be a true-blue Legend.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Devastated to hear this news, stand outs for me (if i had to pick, theres almost too many) are his try v Ospreys in the Pro 12 final, his tackling on Chabal against Racing at home in the HEC, his catch on the run against Claremont at home in HEC in December 2010.

Really hoped he'd stick around and move into coaching, still hope he'll come back someday.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

No matter what he goes on to do he will always be a true leinster man in my eyes. To me hes as much leinster as any of the guys born and bred here. We wouldnt have won the 3 heineken cups without him.

Wishing him and his family all the best in whatever they decide to do.

Thank you Isa. You truley are a Leinster legend.

ISA ISA ISA ISA ISA ISA!
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

Devestaed to hear this morning that he is retiring.. What an absoute legend.. i'll always be grateful that i've had the chance to see in play..
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

As an Ulster fan always was more worried seeing him at fullback than Rob, massive threat going forward with ball in hand and you could never predict his next move, certainly one of the best if not the best NIQ players in a Leinster shirt
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

One of the most exciting and talented players to pull on a blue jersey, always came up with a big play in the big game (Try v Leicester or catching the ball on his arse against ASM) but was also the foundation our consistent form in the league over the last few years. Arguably won more games for Leinster on his own than anyone. An absolute hero. Thanks Isa, enjoy your retirement, come back and visit us sometime.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Sorry to see him go. He has been an incredible servant to the team over the past 5 years. He has already averaged 23 appearances a season for us which, when you consider he has struggled with one or two big injuries, is ridiculously present in the team. The 2010/11 season he was simply sublime and put himself into that category that so few ever do to be labelled unplayable.

With his departure, Joe Schmidt has a season to shape the back line as much as he can. It will almost certainly be a completely different back line to the one that he inherited. Interesting to note the back line in his opening HEC triumph was Nacewa, Horgan, BOD, D'Arcy, Fitz, Sexton and Reddan. By the time he leaves, Fitzgerald will be the only one of those guys still around more than likely. We will be making a big NIQ signing in the backline now guaranteed. It will be interesting to see who we lure. No South Africans have been mentioned by name in terms of likely targets so it may be a non marquee player.
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

deco wrote:My favourite memory of him is his individual try versus Leicester in the 2011 quarter final in Landsdowne Rd.
Probably by far my favourite memory of him as well that dummy he sold was outrageous.

You will be missed Isa best of luck in your next adventure. Someday return as a coach and help Leinster win another HC.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Damn stupid IRFU messing things up.

He's a key player going when we need him. I'd heard about it but thought there was some hope for a change of mind. It's made all the worse by the stronger hints by BOD and Luke's injury.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Thank you Isa and best of luck. Fantastic player and great ambassador for Leinster Rugby.
Dont Panic!