BOI renew sponsorship deal for €6m over 5 years

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Bank of Ireland has renewed its sponsorship with Leinster Rugby for the next five years in a deal believed to be worth close to €6 million.

The breadth of the sponsorship has been increased dramatically, with nearly €1 million to be provided over the five years to promote the amateur game across the province.
This will cover all grades, from under-eights mini-rugby to senior adult competitions and the women’s game. It will also result in the bank sponsoring the Leinster senior and junior schools cups when their existing deals expire.

Even Pro12 rivals would welcome Johnny Sexton’s return
This element of the sponsorship also includes support for development officers, coaching materials, equipment and the coach development programme across the province.

Details of the sponsorship will be announced this morning.

The bank’s current deal with Leinster was due to expire at the end of this coming season, and it had until October to renew its deal before it went to the market. The sponsorship will now run until June 2019.
Mark Cunningham, director of business banking at Bank of Ireland, told The Irish Times that this renewal was a “great opportunity to connect with the Leinster rugby base”.

The new deal comes as Leinster faces increased pressure to continue operating near the top of European rugby, due to the financial power that French and English clubs have gained in the past couple of years, through lucrative domestic television deals and the substantial backing provided to certain clubs by wealthy individuals.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Increased back up to pre-'crash' levels
I have Bumbleflex
ratpack
Mullet

Re: BOI renew sponsorship deal for €6m over 5 years

Post by ratpack »

I suppose the question must be would we have gotten more if we'd gone to the market ?

On the face of it, it does look like a good deal, for example Kingspan apparently pay in the region of £300,000 per annum for naming rights on Ravenhill and logo on the back of the shirt.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Dave Cahill wrote:Increased back up to pre-'crash' levels
Looks like a very significant deal for Leinster, considering that less than 12 months ago Dublin GAA signed a deal with AIG for €4M over 5 years or €800k p/a http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 45434.html compared to €1.2m p/a for Leinster from BoI
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Mauler wrote:
Looks like a very significant deal for Leinster, considering that less than 12 months ago Dublin GAA signed a deal with AIG for €4M over 5 years or €800k p/a http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 45434.html compared to €1.2m p/a for Leinster from BoI
Yeah, though the GAA don’t have to pay their players obviously. They genuinely do invest in grass roots. Personally, I coached minis/underage for years and the investment of resources never really happened. We were always struggling for equipment and pitches, we basically bankrolled the club via mini subs and kit purchases and the only thing we really got from the IRFU was a mini course before starting when the lads were U-7’s. I really hope for rugby’s sake that we continue to stay connected to the grassroots and build communities rather than go the way that professional soccer went wherein funding just goes straight to the pockets of the elite players.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Mauler wrote:
Yeah, though the GAA don’t have to pay their players obviously. They genuinely do invest in grass roots. Personally, I coached minis/underage for years and the investment of resources never really happened. We were always struggling for equipment and pitches, we basically bankrolled the club via mini subs and kit purchases and the only thing we really got from the IRFU was a mini course before starting when the lads were U-7’s. I really hope for rugby’s sake that we continue to stay connected to the grassroots and build communities rather than go the way that professional soccer went wherein funding just goes straight to the pockets of the elite players.
That's surprising because most clubs have a CCRO that is part funded (50% by Leinster Branch). It's not huge but its still something.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Anyone know how this compares to the other provinces? Was there any figures around the last BOI Leinster & Munster deals?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/muns ... 31963.html

600-700k a year with bonuses depending on performances...
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Interesting to see that BOI now feel confident enough to let this information out to the public. Seem to recall that no details of the last renewal were made public.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Just about out of state ownership too...
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Any chance of getting any other sponsors on the jersey? Or is it part of this deal that we can only have BOI on the jeresey?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Keith wrote:Any chance of getting any other sponsors on the jersey? Or is it part of this deal that we can only have BOI on the jeresey?
Without seeing the contract would say it includes exclusivity.

Why would you want (or care) if there are more names on a jersey ?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sheepshagger wrote:
Just about out of state ownership too...
Well, as a Leinster fan I'm delighted with the deal but if I was BOI customer facing the squeeze, a business or house buyer refused a loan so they can boost their bottom line I think I'd be asking questions about the deal! Sponsorship properties do two things - 1. Drive awareness - everybody's heard of BOI 2. Drive affinity to the brand - is there anyone at all out there who loves or could love Boucher's BOI???
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Keith wrote:Any chance of getting any other sponsors on the jersey? Or is it part of this deal that we can only have BOI on the jeresey?
Do we really want to go down the "we don't want a title sponsor route more a series of engaged partners" in the manner of the wishes of Mark McCafferty's hugely successful campaign of ditching of Heineken only to find there's no one really out there willing to sponsor the EPRC....
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

At the risk of starting a holy war over 'who deserves what', but does anyone know how this compares with BOI's sponsorship of other provinces?
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

TerenureJim wrote:
Do we really want to go down the "we don't want a title sponsor route more a series of engaged partners" in the manner of the wishes of Mark McCafferty's hugely successful campaign of ditching of Heineken only to find there's no one really out there willing to sponsor the EPRC....
You could have a main sponsor and also some minor sponsors advertising on the sleeves etc which I suspect is what Keith was asking. I expect, like Sheepshagger, that the BOI deal includes exclusivity in this regard.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeinsterLeader wrote:At the risk of starting a holy war over 'who deserves what', but does anyone know how this compares with BOI's sponsorship of other provinces?
Munster get 6-700k a year without the performance bonuses factored in.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

goreyguy wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:At the risk of starting a holy war over 'who deserves what', but does anyone know how this compares with BOI's sponsorship of other provinces?
So that would be 6-700k a year then. :)
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
So that would be 6-700k a year then. :)
As Deco would say, they merely have to turnip for their games.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

deco wrote:
Keith wrote:Any chance of getting any other sponsors on the jersey?

You could have a main sponsor and also some minor sponsors advertising on the sleeves etc which I suspect is what Keith was asking. I expect, like Sheepshagger, that the BOI deal includes exclusivity in this regard.

Yep, that is what I meant. Looking at the French jereseys I don't think having a few sponsors on the jersey looks too bad at all and it is an easy source of income. Unfortunatley we have to now look at every way of squeezing out as much money as we can from sponsors. Of course if BOI is the only sponsor allowed on the jersey then there is nothing they can do.