General GAA thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: General GAA thread

Post by Donny B. »

Tonic Wine wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Donegal were worthy winners but they are some dirty and cynical shower. Even with the game won they were still diving trying to get players sent off. Hope Kerry stuff them. Supporters are classless pieces of sh!t too.

That Donegal team played the most sophisticated and tactically shrewd game of football ever witnessed in Croke park.They have a small population which with a high unemployment rate and limited resources.What they have done is miraculous.They have just about 18 or 19 players that are good enough for that level.They battle for half the year with half a squad living outside the county who are unable to train.To come to croke park and overcome the dubs in their home patch was special.I hope they do Kerry over in the final.Hats off to them.
So you support diving in G.A.A. to get players sent off?

They deserved their win, Dublin thought it was too easy and got suckered but spare me the hooker with the heart of gold bullshit. Horrible dirty shower who play shite football. At least Kerry are a proper team. Hope for football's sake that they win.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Where was the tactical genius today? Keeping ten men behind the ball, even when you're chasing the game? Ask me b*%&!cks.

Fair play to Kerry, they were far from dazzling but at least they're a proper football team.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Very disappointing game to mark the end of the football championship.........Dublin may not win all the time but at least they bring out the best in their opposition.....

In other news.......Glenealy win their semi final yesterday and qualify for the SHC final on October 5 V Bray Emmets.......the drive for five still alive! :D
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:Where was the tactical genius today? Keeping ten men behind the ball, even when you're chasing the game? Ask me b*%&!cks.

Fair play to Kerry, they were far from dazzling but at least they're a proper football team.
Kerry were no better than Donegal on the day. A game essentially decided by a mistake from the Donegal goalkeeper. Certainly the worst Kerry team that I've seen win an All-Ireland.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Where was the tactical genius today? Keeping ten men behind the ball, even when you're chasing the game? Ask me b*%&!cks.

Kerry were no better than Donegal on the day. A game essentially decided by a mistake from the Donegal goalkeeper. Certainly the worst Kerry team that I've seen win an All-Ireland.
They learned from the Dublin semi-final that you need to go down to Donegal's level to beat them. However they showed in other rounds that they're an excellent attacking team. True, they're an ordinary enough team by recent Kerry standards, but I doubt they'll give a toss about that.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:
cormac wrote:

They learned from the Dublin semi-final that you need to go down to Donegal's level to beat them. However they showed in other rounds that they're an excellent attacking team. True, they're an ordinary enough team by recent Kerry standards, but I doubt they'll give a toss about that.
I know what you're saying but it's a depressing statement. Thought this Kerry team flattered to deceive quite a bit. Only Mayo put it up to them before the final (Cork were awful and Galway never believed they could beat them) and only Mayo could have thrown away both games like they did.

Of course my thoughts on the matter are dictated by my feeling that Dublin would have beaten that Kerry team comfortably enough had they met, but that's probably fuelled by sour grapes, so best to leave it there.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

delighted for Kerry, didn't think the final matched any of the semis but have to say really enjoyed watching the games on Sky this season and I reckon there will have been a load of converts who will watch from now on.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

JB1973 wrote:delighted for Kerry, didn't think the final matched any of the semis but have to say really enjoyed watching the games on Sky this season and I reckon there will have been a load of converts who will watch from now on.
The big one is this weekend at 5pm. (think it clashes with some of the rugby though).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

domhnallj wrote:
JB1973 wrote:delighted for Kerry, didn't think the final matched any of the semis but have to say really enjoyed watching the games on Sky this season and I reckon there will have been a load of converts who will watch from now on.
The big one is this weekend at 5pm. (think it clashes with some of the rugby though).
Clashes with end stages of day 2 of Ryder Cup, Spurs v Arsenal and two rugby matches, one an international.

I'd say barmen in Ireland are looking forward to it! :?
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Super 2nd half performance today.

“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Avenger wrote:Super 2nd half performance today.

Fair play and all that, but Christ it''s so grim and what a truly awful game
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Donny B. wrote: Fair play and all that, but Christ it''s so grim and what a truly awful game
Em... What?
It was a very good game. Not as free scoring as the first game but it was very skillful and the effort of both teams was immense. Hooking and blocking is a massively underrated skill.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Congrats! It takes a special team to do what KK have done over the last decade+ .. some very gifted players in that squad, and KK worthy winners, yet again. Still the bar-setters.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

meinster wrote:
Congrats! It takes a special team to do what KK have done over the last decade+ .. some very gifted players in that squad, and KK worthy winners, yet again. Still the bar-setters.
I keep telling myself that it can't go on forever but it has been amazing. I can barely remember the two in the 80s and then there was two in the 90s so to win 10 since 2000 has been unbelievable.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Avenger wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Fair play and all that, but Christ it''s so grim and what a truly awful game
Em... What?
It was a very good game. Not as free scoring as the first game but it was very skillful and the effort of both teams was immense. Hooking and blocking is a massively underrated skill.
Good game for a cat, you shut down Tipp attack very well, but for a neutral I thought it was nowhere near as exciting as the first one.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Some interesting games for the qualifiers.
Dublin v Limerick, Cork v Clare.

I don't think Clare have won a championship game since they beat Cork in the 2013 final replay. I think Cork will win this one.
I reckon Limerick will have too much for Dublin. I like the look of the Limerick team despite the hammering they got in the Munster semi-final.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Avenger wrote:I don't think Clare have won a championship game since they beat Cork in the 2013 final replay. I think Cork will win this one.
They beat Offaly last week!

Agreed, unless Clare are firing on all cylinders, and get a lot of the 50/50 calls, Cork will be too strong (and much better prepared) for Clare.
Avenger wrote:I reckon Limerick will have too much for Dublin.
It depends which Dublin turns up! Limerick probably slight favourites alright, but not wise to write Dublin off yet!

Nightmare scenario for KK is Cork come through a close Clare battle, just about scrape past Galway in the QF, and are rearin' to go when they meet KK in the Semis!

Nothing suggesting it won't be another KK v Tipp final!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I'm not writing Dublin off... I just think that Limerick will win.

KK look in good shape. Long wait till the semi's though.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Avenger wrote:I'm not writing Dublin off... I just think that Limerick will win.

KK look in good shape. Long wait till the semi's though.
Yeah.... they appear to have negotiated that little rebuilding phase of the past couple of years rather well........ ominous for everyone else.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Avenger wrote:Some interesting games for the qualifiers.
Dublin v Limerick, Cork v Clare.

I don't think Clare have won a championship game since they beat Cork in the 2013 final replay. I think Cork will win this one.
I reckon Limerick will have too much for Dublin. I like the look of the Limerick team despite the hammering they got in the Munster semi-final.
Very disappointed in both of these games (maybe I was expecting too much) as IMO the standard of shooting and decision making was not good enough. There was over 40 wides in the Cork/Clare game.

At least the Tipp/Waterford game was good.

On evidence so far, It's KK/Tipp again but Waterford impressed me too and there's massive room for development in that team.

Limerick the biggest disappointment for me. Really thought they'd kick on after last season.