Ireland v Georgia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland v Georgia

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I won't complain about the selection because Joe has a habit of making me look stupid, but I can't say I'm overly excited about seeing this now.

In a way I hope the weather is horrendous to give the set piece and halfbacks more of a test.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:So Dave Foley gets the arrow to the eye and Dippy will become the 1067th player capped with Copeland also in line when he comes on
The lowest jersey number gets the first available cap number?

When Luke, Jamie and Fez were capped it was 15 - 9 then 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,7 so Luke got cap 999, Jamie got cap 1000 and Fez got 1001 but that changed recently and the current convention is a more straightforward 15 -9 then 1-8.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I won't complain about the selection because Joe has a habit of making me look stupid, but I can't say I'm overly excited about seeing this now.
Ah now, don't be too harsh on yourself, Joe can't take the credit for that, it's all you! ;-)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Killer, Strauss and the second rows could do with not getting injured (early)

scrum should be ok and Ross and Strauss in there
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

GEORGIA HEAD COACH Milton Haig has named a team featuring several Top 14 forwards to face Ireland on Sunday afternoon in Dublin.

‘The Lelos’ are without 73-times capped wing Irakli Machkhaneli, who has scored 23 tries at international level, depriving them of their regular captain. Centre David Kacharava, who plays his club rugby in Russia, takes over the leadership.

Haig and his assistant coach Michael Bradley have made just three changes to the team that was beaten 23-9 by Tonga in Tbilisi last weekend, with Alexander Todua of Lelo Saracens replacing Machkhaneli on the wing.

Giorgi Nemsadze, who plays for Tarbes in the French Pro D2, comes into the second row, while number eight Dimitri Basilaia of Perignan is also included.

The biggest names in the Georgian team are Clermont flanker Viktor Kolelishvili, Stade Français tighthead David Kubriashvili, loosehead Mikheil Nariashvili of Montpellier and the Toulon second row Kote Mikautadze.

You probably can’t go past their pack,” said Ireland coach Joe Schmidt when asked about Georgia’s strengths this afternoon at Carton House.
“Kubriashvili was playing in Clermont when I was there, he’s a massive hanful. Nariashvili on the loosehead side is, again, very much a threat. I’ve seen a bit of Victor Kolelishvili for Clermont and he is an impressively dynamic ball carrier and a very destructive defender.

Georgia team to play Ireland:

15. Merab Kvirikashvili
14. Alexander Todua
13. David Kacharava (captain)
12. Merab Sharikadze
11. Tamaz Mtchedlidze
10. Lasha Khmaladze
9. Giorgi Begadze

1. Mikheil Nariashvili
2. Shalva Mamukashvili
3. David Kubriashvili
4. Kote Mikautadze
5. Giorgi Nemsadze
6. Giorgi Tkhilaishvili
7. Viktor Kolelishvili
8. Dimitri Basilaia

Replacements: Simon Maisuradze, Zurab Zhvania, Levan Chilachava, Levan Datunashvili, Giorgi Chkhaidze, Vazha Khutsishvili, Lasha Malaguradze, Muraz Giorgadze.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPKVniYvyoE

They'll have to keep an eye on this fella anyway, especially off the ball
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:
Georgia team to play Ireland:

15. Merab Kvirikashvili
14. Alexander Todua
13. David Kacharava (captain)
12. Merab Sharikadze
11. Tamaz Mtchedlidze
10. Lasha Khmaladze
9. Giorgi Begadze

1. Mikheil Nariashvili
2. Shalva Mamukashvili
3. David Kubriashvili
4. Kote Mikautadze
5. Giorgi Nemsadze
6. Giorgi Tkhilaishvili
7. Viktor Kolelishvili
8. Dimitri Basilaia

Replacements: Simon Maisuradze, Zurab Zhvania, Levan Chilachava, Levan Datunashvili, Giorgi Chkhaidze, Vazha Khutsishvili, Lasha Malaguradze, Muraz Giorgadze.
The stadium announcer's head is going to explode with the effort of getting all those names right - we may see a return to the Leinster v Wasps policy of saying "the number 15 has been replaced by the number 23"
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Donny B. wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I won't complain about the selection because Joe has a habit of making me look stupid, but I can't say I'm overly excited about seeing this now.
Ah now, don't be too harsh on yourself, Joe can't take the credit for that, it's all you! ;-)
I guess those positive messages have well and truly stopped then! :lol:
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Donny B. wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPKVniYvyoE

They'll have to keep an eye on this fella anyway, especially off the ball
Keep their eyes away from him more like!!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
I guess those positive messages have well and truly stopped then! :lol:
I'm back muthaf**kers!!!!!! :D
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Cave straight in - so much for not being eligible if you haven't trained!

Would much prefer to see Marmion in at 9 than Reddan. Other than that, not much to say. A very workmanlike front 5 with a very mobile back row. Backline could cut them to ribbons or could equally be disjointed and frustrating. Will be watching Gilroy carefully, he's kind of a forgotten player down here with all the rotation going on in the back three.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

its an interesting policy from Joe of we see this game as tier 1 v tier 3 but woe betide the players who dont take it 100% seriously & professionally
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

jezzer wrote:Cave straight in - so much for not being eligible if you haven't trained!

Would much prefer to see Marmion in at 9 than Reddan. Other than that, not much to say. A very workmanlike front 5 with a very mobile back row. Backline could cut them to ribbons or could equally be disjointed and frustrating. Will be watching Gilroy carefully, he's kind of a forgotten player down here with all the rotation going on in the back three.
Cave has been training with the squad all week.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

cormac wrote:
jezzer wrote:Cave straight in - so much for not being eligible if you haven't trained!

Cave has been training with the squad all week.
Been there since he flew home from holidays on Monday morning
redman1
Beginner

Post by redman1 »

Marmion still has a lot to learn, a handy player but nowhere near this level yet. In a 2nd choice team, with 2 players retained from last weeks win, and with number 10 that's short of game time in that slot for his club Reddan is the right choice at 9.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Cave - What were his other options.
D'Arcy is an interesting selection. Most of us were probably thinking this would be a good game for Olding to start in.
However it is now likely Payne isn't going to be fit in time for the Oz game.
In which Henshaw will move to 13 and D'Arcy will start at 12 with Olding on the bench.
An indication of this would be Olding getting maybe 30 mins at 12.

As for the Georgia match I think Killer will be in for a rough ride and Ross won't be able to rest on his laurels either.
Strauss may well be playing for a place in the Oz match day 23.

Congrats to the new caps but just one thing lads - This time send the invader off back to where he came from with his tail between his legs.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In this selection, don't underestimate the effect of a couple of players having played against the Georgians in Tblisi for the Emerging Irish squad. This was the Irish Squad in June 2013:

EMERGING IRELAND Team & Replacements (v Georgia, IRB Tbilisi Cup, Avchala Stadium, Tbilisi, Friday, June 7: (* Denotes uncapped player)
15 - David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) *
14 - Niall Morris (Leicester Tigers/Exile) *
13 - Eoin Griffin (Galwegians/Connacht) *
12 - Michael Allen (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *
11 - Tiernan O'Halloran (Galwegians/Connacht) *
10 - Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster)
9 - Michael Heaney (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *

1 - Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) *
2 - Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) *
3 - Michael Bent (Leinster)
4 - Lewis Stevenson (Malone/Ulster) *
5 - David Foley (UL Bohemians/Munster) *
6 - Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary's College/Leinster) (capt)
7 - Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster) *
8 - Robbie Diack (Malone/Ulster) *

Replacements:
16 - Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *
17 - Richard Lutton (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *
18 - Ian Nagle (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
19 - Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) *
20 - John Cooney (Lansdowne/Leinster) *
21 - Noel Reid (Clontarf/Leinster) *
22 - Brendan Macken (Blackrock College/Leinster

So Keatley, Foley, Dippy & Diack all get to play Georgia again.

This was the Georgia Squad when we played them
Looseheads:
Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier)
Zurab Zhvania (Stade Français)

Hookers:
Irakli Natriashvili (Brive)
Shava Mamukashvili (Armia)

Tightheads:
Levan Chilachava (Toulon)
Davit Kubriashvili (Toulon)
Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes)

Locks:
Giorgi Chkhaidze (Tarbes)
Lasha Lomidze (Montpellier)
Konstantin Mikautadze (Toulon)
Giorgi Nemsadze (Tarbes)

Flankers:
Vito Kolelishvili (Clermont)
Shalva Sutiashvili (Massy)

Number 8's:
Dimitri Basilaia (Edinburgh)
Beka Bitsadze (Armia)

Scrum Halves:
Giorgi Begadze (Batumi)
Vazha Khutsishvili (Kharebi)

Fly Halves:
Lasha Khmaladze (Lelo)

Centres:
Davit Kacharava (Rodez)
Merab Sharikadze (Hartpury College)
Tedo Zibzibadze (Périgueux)

Wingers:
Irakli Machkhaneli (Armazi)
Tamaz Mchedlidze (Mont-de-Marsan)
Giorgi Pruidze (AIA)

Full Backs:
Merab Kvirikashvili (Saint-Junien)
Beka Tsiklauri (Lokomotiv)

The Team they have selected for Sunday is:
GEORGIA v Ireland – Sunday 16th November, 2014

8. Dimitri Basilaia
7. Viktor Kolelishvili
6. Giorgi Tkhilaishvili
5. Giorgi Nemsadze
4. Kote Mikautadze
3. David Kubriashvili
2. Shalva Mamukashvili
1. Mikheil Nariashvili

15. Merab Kvirikashvili
14. Alexander Todua
13. David Kacharava (Captain)
12. Merab Sharikadze
11. Tamaz Mtchedlidze
10. Lasha Khmaladze
9. Giorgi Begadze

Replacements
16. Simon Maisuradze
17. Zurab Zhvania
18. Levan Chilachava
19. Levan Datunashvili
20. Giorgi Chkhaidze
21. Vazha Khutsishvili
22. Lasha Malaguradze
23. Muraz Giorgadze

So they will have about 13 players who werre in their Squad 2 years ago. The majority of them play their rugby in French teams but when they play for Georgia they are very united. Also, remember that Michael Bradley has been Asst Coach to Georgia for three years and he is a very able international Coach. This will not be a walk in the park but I expect the Irish pack to get ball at scrum and line-out time (more worried about line-out to be honest) and our half-backs and back three have the capacity to score points against them.

Georgia will have targeted this game for a long time. Our team selection will surprise them a bit, Darcy in particular. However, playing sensible professional rugby and with Mads kicking his goals, we should win by conceding very few points and possibly scoring 15-25 ourselves.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Absolutely delighted with that team. Kidney and EOS never would have had the balls to play a team like that in a November test. We're gonna go to the world cup with the best prepared squad we've ever had, especially if the injured guys come back too. Plenty of experience in the team, a load of HEC winners and club regulars. The previous regimes never seemed interested in finding an alternative at 13, for example. Schmidt is looking at real options in the back row, 10, 13, 15 and especially 8.

The only downside is Rosd will be expected to play 3 big games in a row. I don't think they trust Rodney. Hopefully Ross will be pulled early.

Full trust in Joe. For me, result is least important. You want some really good performances to challenge the XV and give Schmidt more possibilities.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

suisse wrote:Absolutely delighted with that team. Kidney and EOS never would have had the balls to play a team like that in a November test. We're gonna go to the world cup with the best prepared squad we've ever had, especially if the injured guys come back too. Plenty of experience in the team, a load of HEC winners and club regulars. The previous regimes never seemed interested in finding an alternative at 13, for example. Schmidt is looking at real options in the back row, 10, 13, 15 and especially 8.

The only downside is Rosd will be expected to play 3 big games in a row. I don't think they trust Rodney. Hopefully Ross will be pulled early.

Full trust in Joe. For me, result is least important. You want some really good performances to challenge the XV and give Schmidt more possibilities.
The much alluded to and extensive injury list allied to six day turnaround has certainly enabled Joe to delve deep into his depth chart.

Interesting that you criticise previous coaches for not attempting to find an alternative to BOD, and not realise that BOD was an ever present for Joe until his retirement.I don't think Joe had a choice but to find an alternative considering that BOD is retired. He had a choice last season but not this season. He is now looking at real alternatives only because BOD is not an option.

In fairness since BOD's retirement Joe is certainly examining his options. McFadden and Cave started v Argentina, Payne v SA and Cave starts again tomorrow. With all the talk of Henshaw (injured for summer tests) it is surprising that he has not featured at 13 yet with today in particular, being a perfect opportunity.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

All Blacks nil wrote:
In fairness since BOD's retirement Joe is certainly examining his options. McFadden and Cave started v Argentina, Payne v SA and Cave starts again tomorrow. With all the talk of Henshaw (injured for summer tests) it is surprising that he has not featured at 13 yet with today in particular, being a perfect opportunity.
Joe's reasons were perfectly clear and reasonable. With Payne a doubt, he couldn't risk his only other 13 six days ahead of Australia.