Message to Curates_egg and to all of you.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

St.Kenneth
Learner

Message to Curates_egg and to all of you.

Post by St.Kenneth »

Hi there,

I read Curates comment on the European Draw thread and hoped beyond hope that they weren't being serious.

I'm no spokesmen for the Northampton community, I don't even live there myself, but do you really believe that we have all suddenly become racists and bigots?

The British politicians have let us down hugely by conducting the recent referendum like it was some party political slanging match. Instead of arming the voting public with fact and projected forecasts, agreed by experts in the field, we were misled, scared and lied to, all for political gain. There is a problem with population growth, with ENGLAND being the 6th most populated country in the world for its size, hence why we see so much of England voting for proper controls of our borders as the country's infrastructure has become well behind the needs of the people.

It does not mean that we have all become pitchfork wielding morons who want rid of every immigrant living in the country and to stop travellers of other nations coming to our island. The reports of hate crimes have gone up within the country, but the figure is always given in percentages, again to mislead with the statistics. For example, does two reported hate crimes this year compared to one last, really merit the headline that hate crime has doubled?

There are racists and idiots in every country and I'm sure there are some folk who are anti-English walking the streets of Dublin.

What I'm trying to say is that the good supporters of Leinster Rugby Club will no doubt be welcomed with open arms to Northampton whenever that fixture should take place. I'm sure there are racist morons living in Northampton, but they lived here long before any referendum was conducted. Think of the benefits.... your Euros will no doubt get you many more pounds as our economy crashes, meaning that beer will seem cheaper for you!!

As for your comment that Northampton is a hole..... well from the bits I've seen I tend to agree! If you are looking for sightseeing opportunities then yes, you are certainly going to the wrong place, but if you want to visit a town with a strong sporting ethos and the camaraderie that that brings, then coming to the county that is home to the British Grand Prix, has a first class county cricket side, a decent enough football side and a rugby side who can swing from anywhere between European and Domestic Champions, to relegation fodder, then Northampton and its county has plenty to offer. We are no Dublin, that's for sure, but then that's like comparing the beating heart of a country, to the boil on its backside!!

What I'm trying to say is that I'm sure anyone who comes across to Northampton for the fixture between our two good sides, will receive the warmest of welcomes and a great weekend in a town where sport is a big deal. Don't let any spin from disgruntled politicians let you believe we've suddenly become a nation of knuckle-draggers, out to lynch the first immigrant we find. Result withstanding, I'm sure all of your supporters will have a great time should they make the journey.
COME ON YOU SAINTS..!!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Re: Message to Curates_egg and to all of you.

Post by Mauler »

:clap: Well said Sir. Having been over to Northampton in Dec'13 it is no Paris, but it is a cracking rugby town. Over the past 15 seasons I, like many posters on this site have visited English towns for European Cup games and have enjoyed every trip regardless of the result.
The comradery between sports people and particularly rugby is unique and special. I for one am looking forward to renewing acquaintances in Northampton in December.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

any time Northampton have been over here their fans have been sound in my experience, cant say Ive ever visited

but if you really think a 5 fold increase in REPORTED hate crimes is a misleading statistic or your infrastructure is under strain over migrants and not the cost of various Blairite and Tory policies (which caused a lot of the migration) then you've taken too many blows to the head
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

After the Brexit vote I wandered into newcastle and came across this:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... s-11525050

In case you can't bothered looking at the video it involves bunch ofenglish defence league assholes confronting various community groups at greys monument. On the one hand it's depressing that newcastle seems to attract these f%~k knuckles (some apparently travelled up from Devon) but what was inspirational was the attitude of the Geordies in refusing to be bullied in their own town. They shouted down the Edl who then slunk off to wherever they came from.

To back up our friend from Northampton, I'd be amazed if you met with any hostility when you come over, it's isolated cases, perhaps spiked after the referendum that are getting press now. please don't let the thought of being hassled by those f%~kers put you off coming over to the game. The vast majority here are appalled by the behaviour of a few emboldened racists.

As regards Northampton being a hole, I've been to Tipperary town and I know where I'd prefer to spend a weekend!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Welcome St Kenneth at anytime as a rugby supporter. Northampton and Leicester are centres of rugby excellence, both in how hard you play and supporter your respective teams. Having been to both as player, referee and supporter, I never relished the prospect, but always enjoyed the experience - regardless of the outcome on the scoreboard.

Extremist views and behaviours will always rise in the aftermath of political controversy. In our case it could be about the right to life, or a future united Ireland. That's not to say that those who hold strong views on such matters do not have the right to do so, but merely to point out that violent behaviour tends not to change fundamentally held political opinions
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

St.Kenneth wrote:Hi there,

I read Curates comment on the European Draw thread and hoped beyond hope that they weren't being serious.

I'm no spokesmen for the Northampton community, I don't even live there myself, but do you really believe that we have all suddenly become racists and bigots?

The British politicians have let us down hugely by conducting the recent referendum like it was some party political slanging match. Instead of arming the voting public with fact and projected forecasts, agreed by experts in the field, we were misled, scared and lied to, all for political gain. There is a problem with population growth, with ENGLAND being the 6th most populated country in the world for its size, hence why we see so much of England voting for proper controls of our borders as the country's infrastructure has become well behind the needs of the people.

It does not mean that we have all become pitchfork wielding morons who want rid of every immigrant living in the country and to stop travellers of other nations coming to our island. The reports of hate crimes have gone up within the country, but the figure is always given in percentages, again to mislead with the statistics. For example, does two reported hate crimes this year compared to one last, really merit the headline that hate crime has doubled?

There are racists and idiots in every country and I'm sure there are some folk who are anti-English walking the streets of Dublin.

What I'm trying to say is that the good supporters of Leinster Rugby Club will no doubt be welcomed with open arms to Northampton whenever that fixture should take place. I'm sure there are racist morons living in Northampton, but they lived here long before any referendum was conducted. Think of the benefits.... your Euros will no doubt get you many more pounds as our economy crashes, meaning that beer will seem cheaper for you!!

As for your comment that Northampton is a hole..... well from the bits I've seen I tend to agree! If you are looking for sightseeing opportunities then yes, you are certainly going to the wrong place, but if you want to visit a town with a strong sporting ethos and the camaraderie that that brings, then coming to the county that is home to the British Grand Prix, has a first class county cricket side, a decent enough football side and a rugby side who can swing from anywhere between European and Domestic Champions, to relegation fodder, then Northampton and its county has plenty to offer. We are no Dublin, that's for sure, but then that's like comparing the beating heart of a country, to the boil on its backside!!

What I'm trying to say is that I'm sure anyone who comes across to Northampton for the fixture between our two good sides, will receive the warmest of welcomes and a great weekend in a town where sport is a big deal. Don't let any spin from disgruntled politicians let you believe we've suddenly become a nation of knuckle-draggers, out to lynch the first immigrant we find. Result withstanding, I'm sure all of your supporters will have a great time should they make the journey.
I wouldn't pay much attention to anything posted by Curates Egg.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

your Euros will no doubt get you many more pounds as our economy crashes, meaning that beer will seem cheaper for you!!
Oi!
That's lazy racial stereotype if ever I saw. :lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

simonokeeffe wrote:any time Northampton have been over here their fans have been sound in my experience, cant say Ive ever visited

but if you really think a 5 fold increase in REPORTED hate crimes is a misleading statistic or your infrastructure is under strain over migrants and not the cost of various Blairite and Tory policies (which caused a lot of the migration) then you've taken too many blows to the head
If you believe everything that comes out of the mainstream media then you've "taken too many blows to the head". You do understand how easy it is to manipulate statistics, to get them to show what you want them to show... corporations have been doing it for god knows how long.
St.Kenneth
Learner

Post by St.Kenneth »

domhnallj wrote:As regards Northampton being a hole, I've been to Tipperary town and I know where I'd prefer to spend a weekend!
I've heard it's a long way to Tipperary!! :D
COME ON YOU SAINTS..!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Keith wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:any time Northampton have been over here their fans have been sound in my experience, cant say Ive ever visited

If you believe everything that comes out of the mainstream media then you've "taken too many blows to the head". You do understand how easy it is to manipulate statistics, to get them to show what you want them to show... corporations have been doing it for god knows how long.
mainstream media is another one of those perjorative phrases that makes it hard to take someone seriously, but yeah stats can be manipulated but if you're crying over the rise in hate crimes being exaggerated not its very existense youre missing the point massively and to be blunt at best you're turning a blind eye to it

even if if you want to dispute the rise in hate crimes, theres been a massive one, and theres plenty of Irish in the UK being told to f off and threatened when they stand up to people saying all the Poles etc go home

if you want to say dont worry about coming to Northampton we're nice fans and we wouldnt tolerate abuse of visiting (Irish fans), then say it, we would all believe you, just dont trot out some paranoid UKIP bullsh1t to support it
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Keith wrote:

mainstream media is another one of those perjorative phrases that makes it hard to take someone seriously, but yeah stats can be manipulated but if you're crying over the rise in hate crimes being exaggerated not its very existense youre missing the point massively and to be blunt at best you're turning a blind eye to it

even if if you want to dispute the rise in hate crimes, theres been a massive one, and theres plenty of Irish in the UK being told to f off and threatened when they stand up to people saying all the Poles etc go home

if you want to say dont worry about coming to Northampton we're nice fans and we wouldnt tolerate abuse of visiting (Irish fans), then say it, we would all believe you, just dont trot out some paranoid UKIP bullsh1t to support it
It was reported today that from a usual 20-50 reported hate crimes in a given area on average, there was a peak of 64 2 days after the results, which has settled back down since. That's not a massive increase in the number of racists, just the usual suspects feeling empowered and like they can get away with it.

The problem with the "massive rise in hate crimes" is what figure it's worked out from - 20 or 50? It's not paranoid UKIP bullshit to question the basis of sensationalist statistics.

Certainly being a Northampton based Irishman I've not suffered or witnessed any racism, and having been to a fair few Saints games there's never been anything I've witnessed like that, unlike Wasps in 2008.
Anyone But New Zealand
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Really enjoyed the trip to Northampton last time around - good rugby, good curries and good beer! Unfortunately, I did experience some racist bullshit at half time during the game though in fairness the tw@t was hushed by a couple of Saints lads. Like you say, everyone has their dickheads and good guys, I will definitely be back though - if you could just play like you did last time around that would be most hospitable! ;-)
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
St.Kenneth
Learner

Post by St.Kenneth »

simonokeeffe wrote: ....dont worry about coming to Northampton we're nice fans and we wouldnt tolerate abuse of visiting (Irish fans)....
I'm not sure who you refer to Simon, regarding UKIP propaganda. If you mean me, then I only gave a view on why English people MAY have voted to leave the EU, I won't be drawn into political debate, especially on a rugby message board. People seldom change their views in an argument, so there's little point in having an argument.

I live in the midlands. I've not heard of any rise in race crimes in this part of the country. My intention was to offer an olive branch and welcome you all from one set of supporters to another. Should you wish to snap the branch off and burn it, then that's your business.

Come and chat with fellow Northampton supporters on http://www.comeonyousaints.com if you wish to judge the mood towards any travelling Irish fan.
COME ON YOU SAINTS..!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Sorry if I've offended you Kenneth.

On Northampton, as said in the same comment, I very much enjoyed my trip there a couple of years ago. The game was of course in no large part responsible for that: it was the best Leinster performance there has been since we last won the Heineken Cup. However, I spent a couple of hours in the clubhouse bar afterwards and found it a warm and welcoming place.
Having been at 3 games with Northampton, I have always found their fans to be good fun and very respectful: proper rugby fans. So, I wouldn't want my partially tongue-in-cheek comment to be interpreted as a slight on them in any way.

My comment was certainly tongue-in-cheek...that said, I have had feedback from friends/acquaintances (both Polish and Irish) in parts of England (including even London) that abuse is on the rise - beyond newspaper articles or statistics.
This is a rugby forum for discussing rugby but it is clear that certain extreme and minority elements of English society feel in some way empowered by this vote and that their extremist views are in some way legitimised, and thereby more acceptable to air in public.
I would hope we won't go back to the dark days of the 80s but, as a travelling fan, I think it would be wrong to ignore that there is apparently a changed reality in England.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

curates_egg wrote: This is a rugby forum for discussing rugby but it is clear that certain extreme and minority elements of English society feel in some way empowered by this vote and that their extremist views are in some way legitimised, and thereby more acceptable to air in public.

that should be certain extreme and minority elements of any society etc etc.........that is what extremists do.

Loved Northampton last time, great walk to and from the stadium pubs full of decent Saints fans bantering. Hoping it will work out for December game again and I can go back.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

OTT wrote:
curates_egg wrote: This is a rugby forum for discussing rugby but it is clear that certain extreme and minority elements of English society feel in some way empowered by this vote and that their extremist views are in some way legitimised, and thereby more acceptable to air in public.

that should be certain extreme and minority elements of any society etc etc.........that is what extremists do.
Only there has not been a vote from which these elements feel empowered in other places.
Look, I don't want to get dragged into a political discussion. Yes, there are racists everywhere. However, as an Irishman, the only place I have been subjected to abuse based on my origin (due to my accent) was England.
I have never had a bad experience with English rugby fans (apart from Wasps, and an English man putting his c~*k in my pint in O'Donohues when I was a young fella #banter), and do not expect that to change one bit.
I will, however, be more cautious if and when I am next in England because England is not just made up of rugby fans.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@Flip the BS to me is saying the rise is exaggerated so it doesnt exist/should be totally discounted

I know plenty of (Irish) people working in England as nurses, teachers, and they say theres been a lot of incidents towards them/friends/colleagues

Rugby (community) has typically been great in terms of welcoming visiting fans and intermingling and I dont expect that to change. Only time Ive heard of multiple counts of fan on fan racism in a European game was an Ospreys v London Irish game
St.Kenneth
Learner

Post by St.Kenneth »

What a sh1t world we live in when topics like this even have to be mentioned.

I'm sure there will be many thousands of Saints supporters, more than happy to see as many of you over here for the match, let alone the Northampton publicans, hoteliers, club owners, restaurateurs, taxi firms etc etc etc.
COME ON YOU SAINTS..!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

On a skippier note will Voldemort Jr be your starting 12 next season?

With him around I can see JJ returning to Ireland in 2017
St.Kenneth
Learner

Post by St.Kenneth »

Our young Slytherin (Harry Mallinder) has had a stellar season last year, culminating with captaining the England U20's to a World Cup win (MOTM in the final to boot!)

Not sure who the first choice centres are going to be next season. The chairman stated a while ago that after Louis Picamoles signing, we were also after a lock and a centre, both yet to be announced.

My personal choice of centres would be Harry at 12 and Tom Stephenson at 13, or even Burrell at 13.... but Luther for me isn't a 12. To be honest, George North should be encouraged to play 13 as someone of that size, power and ability is slightly wasted on the wing.

As for JJ.... really been unimpressed when he has played. His goal kicking was very erratic and he brought little to the side in his general play. However, the Saints had a really poor year last season, just scraping 6th place and a HEC place, so perhaps in a side playing a bit better, he may shine some more. Also a big move for him after being at Munster for so long, so maybe he didn't settle into life over here in the first season. It will be interesting to see how much game time he gets this season.
COME ON YOU SAINTS..!!