Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Post by Laighin Break »

fourthirtythree wrote:I said way back on one of these threads that 13 is the more likely position for Payne to come into, unless Rob is injured I don't see any reason to change that opinion. Ringrose has been growing into it after a ropey start to the 6N and was really good against France I thought, but Payne doesn't know the Irish plays from 15 and Kearney is really important there.

The thing Schmidt will be happiest with from Ringrose in the 6N so far is that clear out (with Sean O'Brien assisting) after Henshaw's carry that led to Murray's try against France.

And he wouldn't be wrong. And he will probably think that Payne could have done that too while also having us more steady when France were playing well in the first 20.

Talk of Zebo being dropped is just talk. Why would he?
He could probably learn them.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'm almost certain Payne knows the Ireland calls from 15. Joe prepares the players for every contingency, I remember reading in an interview that all the scrum-halves know what to do on the wing in case there's a mid-game injury emergency. And Payne has played at 15 for Ireland anyway.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Had thought Payne might be contender for 15 or 23 but now looks like JS wants him at 13 as defensive organiser & his fitness levels have been maintained.

If this is true would have Earls & Ringrose on wings with Kearney or Zebo Full Back.

Wing may not be Ringrose's best position but he has a lot to contribute there this season and will probably be back to 13 in the not too distant future.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

matt wrote:Had thought Payne might be contender for 15 or 23 but now looks like JS wants him at 13 as defensive organiser & his fitness levels have been maintained.

If this is true would have Earls & Ringrose on wings with Kearney or Zebo Full Back.

Wing may not be Ringrose's best position but he has a lot to contribute there this season and will probably be back to 13 in the not too distant future.
Not a hope Ringrose should be selected to start on the wing - if there are concerns about him in the centre then there would be far far more on the wing. Not enough experience there and he hasn't been so good as to demand selection in front of other wingers. I'm happy enough for Ringrose to cover wing in an emergency during a game - starting - no way

I'll be disappointed if he is dropped - would like to see him retained for the next two games
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

neiliog93 wrote:I'm almost certain Payne knows the Ireland calls from 15. Joe prepares the players for every contingency, I remember reading in an interview that all the scrum-halves know what to do on the wing in case there's a mid-game injury emergency. And Payne has played at 15 for Ireland anyway.
Didn't Marmion play on the wing in the Autumn as a result of injuries?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Its a touch slow as a unit but IMO Trimble still our best right wing (and Earls our left) but itd be a pretty damn solid backline

Ringrose would be (ideal) 23
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Golf Man wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Yeah, but Schmidt is the type of coach to ruthlessly punish a mistake like Zebo's (when he needlessly gave away a 5-metre scrum that led to the French nearly try). Zebo on form is a guaranteed Ireland starter for me but he hasn't looked the best this championship.
To suggest that dropping Zebo for that mistake is justifiable is a joke - if players are going to be dropped for individual mistakes like that he has to be consistency - bit of a farce if it isn't

Not overly happy with the thought of Payne replacing Ringrose - seems unnecessary imo. Payne at FB makes the most sense but if he is not playing there this week then surely won't be an option. I wouldn't be surprised to see Payne on the bench
Plus one
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

If Payne is to come back into the team it must be at Full Back and let there be a proper battle for the 15 jersey when Rob Kearney is 100% fit and all the other contenders for the position are available . Give Henshaw and Ringrose a chance to develop a partnership in the centre, they look very good now but have the potential to be FANTASTIC.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

What do lads make of rumours in press/calls.

1. POM to start 7.
Not sure I'd do it myself but Eddie and BOD have been banging on this.

2. Payne at 13.
Is a dodgy 1. Yes your defensive structure improves but do you damage Ringrose's confidence and halt what is upward curve in performance.

3. Zebo to 15.
Well I do think Trimble needed in but there arguments on every side.

4. Henderson start over Ryan.
Being there before. Henderson is good but hasn't engine for lock
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

MunsterSugar wrote:What do lads make of rumours in press/calls.

1. POM to start 7.
Not sure I'd do it myself but Eddie and BOD have been banging on this.

2. Payne at 13.
Is a dodgy 1. Yes your defensive structure improves but do you damage Ringrose's confidence and halt what is upward curve in performance.

3. Zebo to 15.
Well I do think Trimble needed in but there arguments on every side.

4. Henderson start over Ryan.
Being there before. Henderson is good but hasn't engine for lock
Aside from Payne coming back in at 13 I don't see any other changes. Think Ringrose will go to 23.

I don't buy the argument that POM will come in and transform our lineout. He played in Cardiff 2 years ago when we lost 4 of our lineouts and only stole 1 of theres. Aside from the first half against Scotland it's been fairly solid and I think that has a lot to do with Ryan coming back in for Henderson so wouldn't change that either.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I have a feeling Healy will start at loosehead. I think SOB is only really getting up to speed now so dropping him at this juncture doesn't make much sense. The line-out functioned brilliantly against France, 22/22, without POM, so don't see him getting back into the starting line-up, especially given he's probably not fully match fit.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

FWIW Munster asked for O'Mahony to be released for gametine and were told no as its vital he attended Saturday session in Carton house
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

MunsterSugar wrote:FWIW Munster asked for O'Mahony to be released for gametine and were told no as its vital he attended Saturday session in Carton house
No surprises there I expect only 1 change in team although Payne 13, Ringrose 11, Zebo 15 & bench the same apart from RK likely ahead of Trimble if fit.

POM on bench & to come on in 2nd half for SOB.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wales Online select a combined Ireland / Wales XV this morning and there are 11 Irish selected. Up front, only Rory Best and Dev lose out to their opposite numbers whilst George North and Jonathon Davies make the team from the Welsh backline. Interesting selection and their rationale makes fascinating reading.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Wales Online select a combined Ireland / Wales XV this morning and there are 11 Irish selected. Up front, only Rory Best and Dev lose out to their opposite numbers whilst George North and Jonathon Davies make the team from the Welsh backline. Interesting selection and their rationale makes fascinating reading.
The backs are actually Halfpenny and Davies, but you are right, it is a good read.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Trimble out with broken hand
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

MunsterSugar wrote:Trimble out with broken hand
Conway would be a great bench option.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

munster#1 wrote:
Thinks its more clear cut. Payne to 13 Ringrose to 23 or other way around I'd say.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

munster#1 wrote:
Conway is a good bench option at his level which is in my view not international class.
What he has going for him is that Joe looks for versatility on the bench. He is comfortable across the back three, but to me is not quite good enough. Mind you, I thought the same about Thumbs.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

All Blacks nil wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
Conway is a good bench option at his level which is in my view not international class.
What he has going for him is that Joe looks for versatility on the bench. He is comfortable across the back three, but to me is not quite good enough. Mind you, I thought the same about Thumbs.
Who?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......