hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Post by hugonaut »

MunsterSugar wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:Trimble out with broken hand
Conway would be a great bench option.
Thinks its more clear cut. Payne to 13 Ringrose to 23 or other way around I'd say.
I think Payne at No23 is a great selection. He covers two difficult positions in fullback and outside centre [in the case of injury] and could certainly add impact if brought on tactically at fullback – not so much at centre though.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Wales Online select a combined Ireland / Wales XV this morning and there are 11 Irish selected. Up front, only Rory Best and Dev lose out to their opposite numbers whilst George North and Jonathon Davies make the team from the Welsh backline. Interesting selection and their rationale makes fascinating reading.
That's the start of the Ireland are Favourites app.
Because we all know Ireland and favourites tag is like oil and water.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:Trimble out with broken hand
Conway would be a great bench option.
I thought he was starting for Munster these days.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

@Oldschool that joke would be some bit good if in a general thread or Munster thread but desperate in an obvious Irish thread. Standards are slipping badly.

@Hugonaut I'd agree eith that but think Schmidt is obsessed with Payne at 13 to lead defensive system. And now with Trimble out of the equation it's fair to say only him and Henshaw are solid defensive options out of all backs past 9 and 10.
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

MunsterSugar wrote:@Oldschool that joke would be some bit good if in a general thread or Munster thread but desperate in an obvious Irish thread. Standards are slipping badly.

@Hugonaut I'd agree eith that but think Schmidt is obsessed with Payne at 13 to lead defensive system. And now with Trimble out of the equation it's fair to say only him and Henshaw are solid defensive options out of all backs past 9 and 10.
The suggestion was worthy of the response it received.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

MunsterSugar wrote:@Oldschool that joke would be some bit good if in a general thread or Munster thread but desperate in an obvious Irish thread. Standards are slipping badly.

The funny thing is, with everyone fit, Conway is probably on the bench. With Sweetnam, Earls and Zebo as first choice.

Bit harsh on earls and Zebo there. Defensively they have been very good imo. Against Scotland many blamed earls for the poor defence which was completely wrong.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

If Trimble is out then back three RK Zebo and Earls.
As others have said Payne/Ringrose 13/23 is likely.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Oldschool wrote:

Maybe not as Schmidt namedropped Conway in past. I don't think myself he'd be 23 but it is possible.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

munster#1 wrote:

The funny thing is, with everyone fit, Conway is probably on the bench. With Sweetnam, Earls and Zebo as first choice.

Bit harsh on earls and Zebo there. Defensively they have been very good imo. Against Scotland many blamed earls for the poor defence which was completely wrong.
Again I'm probably Earls biggest fan. He very solid defensively snd best of rest but lets be honest Payne and Henshaw and Trimble are streets ahead in that area. Earls is best of rest I'd say. I'm basing that on overall not just last few weeks
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

munster#1 wrote:

I can't remember that at all.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

paddyor wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

For Hoggs try I think or was it when he made try many blamed Earls
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Joe will surely put Payne in a 13 now that hes back fit, I think Payne is just his type of defensive player. Imo O'Brien has played pretty well since hes come back, but not at the level he was playing at in the past. Leavy is the form 7 in the country and is a 'true' 7. He really reminds me of a McCAW/Cane type player who has unbelieveable patience and vision at the breakdown as well as powerful carrying ability. I can see O'Mahony coming in for O'Brien for his lineout/leadership skills and Healy replacing McGrath for his recent better form. Would love to see Leavy starting at 7, but I feel it might be abit soon for Joe, he is very cautious about throwing young players in.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

MunsterSugar wrote:
paddyor wrote:
munster#1 wrote: The funny thing is, with everyone fit, Conway is probably on the bench. With Sweetnam, Earls and Zebo as first choice.

He was a bit harshly blamed for the position that led to Hoggs first try, not for being missing the tackle (did he actually miss the tackle) but rather for a very poor touch which gave a dominant Scottish line out an attacking line out . He could have given it to RK who was in a better position to find touch.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Payne played the full 80 for ulster. Played rightly, but was completely bushwhacked by the end of it. That's pro 12 level. At home. To treviso. During the 6nations window. He's a quality player, but can't see that he is close to fit for international rugby yet, never mind two games like this. Maybe, maybe off the bench as Hugo says, but he'd be doing well to get that.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

MunsterSugar wrote:
paddyor wrote:
munster#1 wrote:The funny thing is, with everyone fit, Conway is probably on the bench. With Sweetnam, Earls and Zebo as first choice.

Thats one try(and I'm not sure it was his fault - mistake was made in midfield IIRC). Can't remember anyone blaming him for the others. Think munster#1 is talking nonsense.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

MunsterSugar wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Maybe not as Schmidt namedropped Conway in past. I don't think myself he'd be 23 but it is possible.
Schmidt does like to name-drop though. He mentioned McCloskey the other week, even though no one sees him close to the team, unless there are a few injuries
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I thought most people blamed Ringrose above others for our defensive failures against Scotland but always with the caveats young and learning etc.

No witch hunt against players as it was a systems failing eerily reminiscent of Argentina.

With Trimble out it's Payne in surely. And I would suspect the bench.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

fourthirtythree wrote:I thought most people blamed Ringrose above others for our defensive failures against Scotland but always with the caveats young and learning etc.

No witch hunt against players as it was a systems failing eerily reminiscent of Argentina.

Agree - his options are Bowe Gilroy Conway or TOH a- and while I'd have one of them I don't see Schmidt picking one of them

Payne on the bench will leave us very light for wing coverage though - Ringrose covering wing is a big ask for him. Its a more sensible option to have someone who can cover wing on the bench as the starting wingers will cover fb and 13. But question will probably only be whether Payne starts or benches
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I thought most people blamed Ringrose above others for our defensive failures against Scotland but always with the caveats young and learning etc.

Agree - his options are Bowe Gilroy Conway or TOH a- and while I'd have one of them I don't see Schmidt picking one of them

Payne on the bench will leave us very light for wing coverage though - Ringrose covering wing is a big ask for him. Its a more sensible option to have someone who can cover wing on the bench as the starting wingers will cover fb and 13. But question will probably only be whether Payne starts or benches
Ringrise ticks a lot of boxes for 23.
He covers 12, 13 and wing.
His defence is good and has played for Leinster on the wing.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Oldschool wrote: Ringrise ticks a lot of boxes for 23.
He covers 12, 13 and wing.
His defence is good and has played for Leinster on the wing.
He does although he has very limited experience on the wing (maybe what 8/9 Pro 12 games at the start of last year). I'd prefer someone more experienced to come in if need be to cover Earls/Zebo. But ideally I want Ringrose retained to start at 13. I think himself and Henshaw should be retained for the last 2 games

I think he'll go consevrative though and we'll have Kearney at 15 and payne at 13