Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:This has been an awful game so far. So many individual errors
think Munster had their mind on next week and sank to the level of the opposition
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

From an Irish perspective, that was a worryingly poor standard game. Luke Marshall was incisive in attack and Earls was good, but apart from that, who actually played well? Niall Scannell maybe? Iain Henderson was working hard but again (partly because of solid Munster defence) his carries just didn't make the impact they did last season.

I thought Angus Lloyd did very well, someone who was ignored by all the representative sides and after 5 years of AIL at Trinity got a short-term deal at Ulster, and then sent on loan to Munster. It's nice to see him and the likes of Barry Daly making it in the pro game and playing well even after missing the academy boat.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Injuries stacking up. Stander though suggested he'll be ok, but if Murray, Williams, Scannell and Sweetnam are out then a big problem.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:From an Irish perspective, that was a worryingly poor standard game. Luke Marshall was incisive in attack and Earls was good, but apart from that, who actually played well? Niall Scannell maybe? Iain Henderson was working hard but again (partly because of solid Munster defence) his carries just didn't make the impact they did last season.

I thought Angus Lloyd did very well, someone who was ignored by all the representative sides and after 5 years of AIL at Trinity got a short-term deal at Ulster, and then sent on loan to Munster. It's nice to see him and the likes of Barry Daly making it in the pro game and playing well even after missing the academy boat.
Marshall runs some great great lines but his butchery of try scoring chances is unforgiveable
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

neiliog93 wrote:From an Irish perspective, that was a worryingly poor standard game. Luke Marshall was incisive in attack and Earls was good, but apart from that, who actually played well? Niall Scannell maybe? Iain Henderson was working hard but again (partly because of solid Munster defence) his carries just didn't make the impact they did last season.

It was a mistake-ridden game alright, but Munster had one eye on the next weekend [vis the withdrawal of Duncan Williams and Bleyendaal from the first XV] and Ulster are in a malaise: most of their coaching team are lame ducks, their star player threw a strop and they have really limited resources in their pack.

Aside from Marshall, I thought that Andrew Trimble looked pretty good for the most part. McCloskey was very effective when he came on. Obviously Earls was good, and I thought that John Ryan was his usual industrious self and dominated at scrumtime. You're right though, from a neutral viewpoint there was a bucket of mistakes and very few Irish players played a full 80 minutes [or even 60 minutes] they'd be happy to stand over.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I thought Munster were quite lucky to win that. I'm also interested to hear from the people that want Zebo at full back for Ireland. He was terrible defensively and the fact that it stood out is saying something as it looked more like a game of tag than proper rugby to me.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Munster in a Champions Cup semi final tomorrow in a sold out Aviva and there hasnt been a post here for 5 days?? :shock:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good old emergency lock cover Deysel benching ahead of Oliver and JOD tomorrow.

Didn't some poster on here say they'd only be annoyed if that happened? Well it's happened!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Good old emergency lock cover Deysel benching ahead of Oliver and JOD tomorrow.

Didn't some poster on here say they'd only be annoyed if that happened? Well it's happened!
more worryingly Ian Keatley appears to be scrum half cover

luckily Burger and Hamilton are on bench for Sarries otherwise theyd spend all day trying to take Duncan Williams out
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

wixfjord wrote:Good old emergency lock cover Deysel benching ahead of Oliver and JOD tomorrow.

Oliver is playing in the final of the B&I Cup tonight with Munster A. JOD has been off colour recently - maybe he is carrying an injury.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

janeymac08 wrote:

Oliver is playing in the final of the B&I Cup tonight with Munster A. JOD has been off colour recently - maybe he is carrying an injury.
He's not. Neither is Copeland or Oliver. Deysel shouldn't be ahead of any of them.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

janeymac08 wrote:

And yet a short term Saffer import that was purported to be a lock replacement is ahead of both of them? Shocking isn't it :lol:

Ah well, at least no Munster fan can throw up Brad Thorn ever again.

(By the by, I'd pick Deysel ahead of both too, I'm just laughing at the hypocrisy and twisting that some Munster fans have done over the past month about him!)
Last edited by wixfjord on April 21st, 2017, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Best of luck tomorrow, we'll be rooting for you.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Timbit wrote: Guys this thread is toxic and the gleeful putting the boot into Munster at every opportunity is pretty unbecoming. This is the end of my interaction with this forum. Good luck in your semis tomorrow and hope to see you in the final.
What thin skinned nonsense. Are you sure you're not just annoyed because you were one of those defending the usage of Deysel earlier in this thread?

'gleeful putting the boot into Munster' :lol:

The chip is coming out big time this weekend. Good luck to you.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

What I can't understand is why Munster haven't got a scrum half on the bench
I have Bumbleflex
Flakey 16
Learner

Post by Flakey 16 »

for anyone who is inclined or who has freesat I believe the B&I cup final is being carried live on ITV Channel Islands regional channel this evening. which some people may be able to access...
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:What I can't understand is why Munster haven't got a scrum half on the bench
Wouldn't be surprised by a late change - Lloyd is obviously travelling - very very questionable decision - while we are probably only down 2 starters it does show up our depth - if no sh cover then 6/2 split would seem to make sense but the options - jod Darren o shea and conor oliver

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Isnt Oliver starting this evening? No sign of Toma in the A side either or is he injured? My bet is Scannell isnt actually fit, he seemed to get a bad injury last week
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

paddyor wrote:Isnt Oliver starting this evening? No sign of Toma in the A side either or is he injured? My bet is Scannell isnt actually fit, he seemed to get a bad injury last week
Oliver starting in B&I Final. Toma - the Kiwi SH? He has gone back to NZ I think.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

B&I Final being streamed live tonight at www.itv.com/news/channel/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk