Six Nations 2018: XV of the Tournament

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

Has anyone come up with their team of the tournament yet?This is what I was thinking of:

1. Healy
2. Guirado
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. Ryan
6. Shingler
7. Leavy
8. Barclay
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Farrell
13. Jones
14. Earls
15. Minozzi

A lot of Irish lads are in there but they’ve earned. I’m open to any suggestions, in case I forgot someone. I’m having trouble picking a player of the tournament though.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Six Nations 2018: XV of the Tournament

Post by Oldschool »

A16 wrote:Has anyone come up with their team of the tournament yet?This is what I was thinking of:

1. Healy
2. Guirado
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. Ryan
6. Shingler
7. Leavy
8. Barclay
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Farrell
13. Jones
14. Earls
15. Minozzi

A lot of Irish lads are in there but they’ve earned. I’m open to any suggestions, in case I forgot someone. I’m having trouble picking a player of the tournament though.
I think Ringrose won the head to head with Jones and was a big influence in today game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The curse of the post lions season strikes again.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

Oldschool wrote:
A16 wrote:Has anyone come up with their team of the tournament yet?This is what I was thinking of:

1. Healy
2. Guirado
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. Ryan
6. Shingler
7. Leavy
8. Barclay
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Farrell
13. Jones
14. Earls
15. Minozzi

I think Ringrose won the head to head with Jones and was a big influence in today game.
Ringrose only played 2 games though, which wouldn’t be enough to validate an inclusion in a team of the tournament. He did play very well for those 2 games however, but it’s just not enough time. It’s the reason guys like Faletau weren’t considered.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A16 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

1. Healy
2. Guirado
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. Ryan
6. Shingler
7. Leavy
8. Barclay
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Farrell
13. Jones
14. Earls
15. Minozzi

Ringrose only played 2 games though, which wouldn’t be enough to validate an inclusion in a team of the tournament. He did play very well for those 2 games however, but it’s just not enough time. It’s the reason guys like Faletau weren’t considered.
Haven't given it full consideration yet, but one guy who must get in is the Italian No 6 Sebastian Negri, who caused everybody problems.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Nice call on Shingler and Earls
Disagree on centres, Farrell went missing yesterday, Jones was suspect in defence

Definitely Hadleigh Parkes for me. Probably Aki if we are allowing 2 centres and not a 12 and a 13
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Jones was dreadful against Wales, appalling yesterday against Italy, and made a few errors against us too, wouldn't have him near a team of the tournament.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
A16 wrote:
Oldschool wrote: I think Ringrose won the head to head with Jones and was a big influence in today game.
Haven't given it full consideration yet, but one guy who must get in is the Italian No 6 Sebastian Negri, who caused everybody problems.
+1
Yeah I’d 100% agree with that, he’s been excellent every time I’ve seen him play. It does seem harsh to have included 2 Italians and 1 Welsh, considering wales finished up 2nd placed. I think Wales just got unfortunate in this case with certain players getting injured/returning from injury and not playing sufficient games. But anyway I’d definitely agree with that pick.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Nice call on Shingler and Earls
Disagree on centres, Farrell went missing yesterday, Jones was suspect in defence

Definitely Hadleigh Parkes for me. Probably Aki if we are allowing 2 centres and not a 12 and a 13
I thought yesterday was Farrell’s poorest game, but to his credit he has performed very well over the course of the tournament. I think he had some sort of injury, similar to Sexton’s situation, since his place kicking was way off his usual standard. That’s also probably why they kept on kicking for the corner early on. I didn’t catch the Scotland game but if Jones was as bad as I’m hearing here, then fair enough he probably doesn’t deserve to be in the team.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

A16 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Nice call on Shingler and Earls

I thought yesterday was Farrell’s poorest game, but to his credit he has performed very well over the course of the tournament. I think he had some sort of injury, similar to Sexton’s situation, since his place kicking was way off his usual standard. That’s also probably why they kept on kicking for the corner early on. I didn’t catch the Scotland game but if Jones was as bad as I’m hearing here, then fair enough he probably doesn’t deserve to be in the team.
IMO Farrell didnt show up as skipper v France and really lacked composure and discipline against us

This is clichey but great leaderds show up in big games. Ours did in nearly every game. Dont think any other country can say their big names/key men/leaders had big tournaments

Wales: AWJ. but they had injuries
Scotland: Barclay. Lots of others went missing.
England: too many to mention. M Vunipola?
France. Guirado

Ireland: Best POM Murray Sexton RK
lotmc
Learner

Post by lotmc »

The official Player of the Championship vote is open

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/potc

Shortlist comprises:

Keith Earls
Guilhem Guirado
Matteo Minozzi
Conor Murray
Johnny Sexton
Jacob Stockdale

(hint - le drop)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

lotmc wrote:The official Player of the Championship vote is open

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/potc

Shortlist comprises:

Keith Earls
Guilhem Guirado
Matteo Minozzi
Conor Murray
Johnny Sexton
Jacob Stockdale

(hint - le drop)
Has to be, dunnit?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Richie McCaw for me.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Richie McCaw for me.
:lol: I laugh but I wouldn’t be surprised..
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So, that's it then. Another Season done and dusted and where are we?

Well, by at least one metric we ascended to the top of the Six Nations pile on Saturday. By the measurement of Championship Points, we are now officially top of the pile since the Competition started.
  • All six countries have played 95 games;
    England have won 66 games; Ireland have won 63 games; France 59 and Wales 52;
    Ireland have scored 153 Championship points; England have scored 150 and France 135, and Wales 122;
    England has won six Championships, France five and Ireland four;
    England and Ireland have two Grand Slams each but Wales & France have three each.
Yes, this is based on the new Scoring System introduced in 2017, but it is the system that now applies, albeit that we are the sole beneficiaries with our Grand Slam this year.

We may not have always felt like it was the best of times but these figures present the facts, that we have been enjoying a great spell of rugby success since the Italians joined, in 2000. Contrast that with our longest period in the mire, from 1985 until 2009, 24 years when we never won the competition (even longer than Italy has been in the competition), but way behind the 44 years France endured from 1910 until first sharing the 5N in 1954, before going on for their first outright win in 1959.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

+1 RTB
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:So, that's it then. Another Season done and dusted and where are we?

Well, by at least one metric we ascended to the top of the Six Nations pile on Saturday. By the measurement of Championship Points, we are now officially top of the pile since the Competition started.
  • All six countries have played 95 games;
    England have won 66 games; Ireland have won 63 games; France 59 and Wales 52;
    Ireland have scored 153 Championship points; England have scored 150 and France 135, and Wales 122;
    England has won six Championships, France five and Ireland four;
    England and Ireland have two Grand Slams each but Wales & France have three each.
Yes, this is based on the new Scoring System introduced in 2017, but it is the system that now applies, albeit that we are the sole beneficiaries with our Grand Slam this year.

We may not have always felt like it was the best of times but these figures present the facts, that we have been enjoying a great spell of rugby success since the Italians joined, in 2000. Contrast that with our longest period in the mire, from 1985 until 2009, 24 years when we never won the competition (even longer than Italy has been in the competition), but way behind the 44 years France endured from 1910 until first sharing the 5N in 1954, before going on for their first outright win in 1959.
Here's a handy pub quiz question (for pub quiz question setters)

The bonus point system was introduced in 2017 who were the first team to get:
  • a Losing Bonus Point
    a Try Bonus Point
    the 3 Grand Slam Bonus Points
Show Spoiler:
In case you hadn't already worked it our the answer to all of the above is IRELAND
  • LBP v Scotland (04/02/17)
    TBP v Italy (11/02/17)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

And yet Jerry Guscott reckon's Ireland does not have any world class players. :oops:
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

olaf the fat wrote:And yet Jerry Guscott reckon's Ireland does not have any world class players. :oops:
He also said, earlier in the 6Ns, that Ireland were playing well because of squad being together for a long time.
The Prince of Centres does not do much research me thinks.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

olaf the fat wrote:And yet Jerry Guscott reckon's Ireland does not have any world class players. :oops:
Only good thing about his quote is how he tries to say that and then says its hard to argue Tadhg Furlong isnt the best tighthead in the world