Nick McCarthy

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tingman
Graduate

Nick McCarthy

Post by tingman »

...headed to munster next season...geez will this ever freekin stop!!!
roarlad
Learner

Re: Nick McCarthy

Post by roarlad »

How prescient was this:
cormac wrote:Wasn't really a match for the Munster management, more of a shopping trip.
At this point from a Leinster perspective, if this continues you'd ask that they be compensated for developing all these players.. rather than the other provinces merely poaching younger players on the periphery for free of charge.. do we get another NIQ? a larger budget?
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

roarlad wrote:How prescient was this:
cormac wrote:Wasn't really a match for the Munster management, more of a shopping trip.
At this point from a Leinster perspective, if this continues you'd ask that they be compensated for developing all these players.. rather than the other provinces merely poaching younger players on the periphery for free of charge.. do we get another NIQ? a larger budget?
No Leinster shouldnt. Players who go elsewhere are generally those deemed surplus to requirements in Leinster so why should Leinster get another NIQ or anything else for players they dont want going elsehwere.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

I’d like to see McCarthy’s views on this as to whether he would prefer to stay at Leinster, rather than what is proposed
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cumisky or O'Conner only last week was saying that it was JCB going to Munster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

McCarthy signed a new contract coming into this season. Unlikely that was a one year deal, so is he being moved in contract like Carbery and Conway before him?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Serb wrote:McCarthy signed a new contract coming into this season. Unlikely that was a one year deal, so is he being moved in contract like Carbery and Conway before him?
Yes. It's an IRFU move. And we better get used to it.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Honestly, the Cummiskey 'conveyor belt of nines' article stank. It was just weird. This is conspiratorial but in light of this news it almost feels like a PR job for the IRFU before the announcement of the McCarthy move. We just objectively don't have a conveyor belt of nines. Both Patterson and O'Sullivan are arguably converted outside backs and the former didn't go directly into the academy. Both are still very young. Then there is a notable gap to McCarthy who is almost 24, and we even had to bring in JGP because of our lack of home grown nines (a rarity in any position for Leinster). Munster have Murray, Williams, Hart, Neil Cronin, probably a deeper roster than our own.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

tingman wrote:...headed to munster next season...geez will this ever freekin stop!!!
This is the new reality now I'm afraid.

I think Hugh O'Sullivan is more highly thought of in Leinster and deemed the better prospect.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

This is starting to stink.

Excuse my lack of detail (I'm an exile) and perhaps less in tune to the finer details but we are hardly rich on 9's.
And even if we were why would McCarthy be shuffled to Munster.

Why not Ulster where the back up is Shanahan, gutsy but very limited.

We had the same with JC where they had a surfeit of 10's ...and they are all in situ.

Is this a Munster Bias?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

tingman wrote:Is this a Munster Bias?
Do you really have to ask that question, regardless of where you're based?

Those above suggesting "this is the new reality" are defeatist. Part of the reason I haven't shut up about Carbery and won't do so, is because I think we (as Leinster fans) have a duty to try and stop this becoming the new reality. It will destroy provincial rugby. Also, no Leinsterman should have to suffer the indignity of moving to Limerick.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

neiliog93 wrote:Honestly, the Cummiskey 'conveyor belt of nines' article stank. It was just weird. This is conspiratorial but in light of this news it almost feels like a PR job for the IRFU before the announcement of the McCarthy move. We just objectively don't have a conveyor belt of nines. Both Patterson and O'Sullivan are arguably converted outside backs and the former didn't go directly into the academy. Both are still very young. Then there is a notable gap to McCarthy who is almost 24, and we even had to bring in JGP because of our lack of home grown nines (a rarity in any position for Leinster). Munster have Murray, Williams, Hart, Neil Cronin, probably a deeper roster than our own.
mildlyinterested will be able to comment more specifically but historically the majority of school boys do not go directly into the Academy. Last year was unusual that HOS & Aungier went straight to Academy. So I wouldn't be down on Patterson just because he didn't go straight to the Academy.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Honestly, the Cummiskey 'conveyor belt of nines' article stank. It was just weird. This is conspiratorial but in light of this news it almost feels like a PR job for the IRFU before the announcement of the McCarthy move. We just objectively don't have a conveyor belt of nines. Both Patterson and O'Sullivan are arguably converted outside backs and the former didn't go directly into the academy. Both are still very young. Then there is a notable gap to McCarthy who is almost 24, and we even had to bring in JGP because of our lack of home grown nines (a rarity in any position for Leinster). Munster have Murray, Williams, Hart, Neil Cronin, probably a deeper roster than our own.
mildlyinterested will be able to comment more specifically but historically the majority of school boys do not go directly into the Academy. Last year was unusual that HOS & Aungier went straight to Academy. So I wouldn't be down on Patterson just because he didn't go straight to the Academy.
McCarthy didn't join the academy straight from school either.

I wouldn't be worried about as very few players join straight from school.

Patterson and O'Sullivan are both originally scrumhalves who played other positions - wing and fullback - at SCT level. They are not converts from other positions.
Backplay
Beginner

Post by Backplay »

Move is pencilled in for next season so he has plenty of time to take Afrikaans lessons and hit the ground running...
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Backplay wrote:Move is pencilled in for next season so he has plenty of time to take Afrikaans lessons and hit the ground running...
N'ander skrum helfte sluit aan by die rooi weermag op die Lowveldt
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Wait. Maybe he's not nucifora. Fluent Afrikaans hmmmmm
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote:Wait. Maybe he's not nucifora. Fluent Afrikaans hmmmmm
Lucifer can speak in tongues.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

curates_egg wrote:
johng wrote:Wait. Maybe he's not nucifora. Fluent Afrikaans hmmmmm
Lucifer can speak in tongues.
'Get thee behind me Satan', said Carbery to Lucifora, alas he didn't survive the 40 days and 40 nights of off season and fell to temptation. He is punishment is worse than Hell, banished to the empty red seats of Thomond Park.

Enter stage right, Ross Byrne, our Messiah.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He's not the messiah he's just a naughty boy
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

In an alternate universe somewhere Joey Carbery and Nick McCarthy have come through the Munster academy. Joey is battling with Bill Johnston for the 4th string spot on the A team and Nick McCarthy has just started a new career after being cut from the Munster academy in the summer. Are either of them any good? We have no idea because Joey has played 20 minutes in the pro 14 and McCarthy never got a chance because the trojans of Williams and Hart kept him away from any action.

Thank f'#k I am a Leinster fan.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English