The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by blockhead »

offshorerules wrote:I don't know what to make of that match. Conway was lucky in my view but the referee should of had a clear view of the incident though he may have been focussing on the posts. I think it's a great result for Munster to be fair, I didn't think they'd get a point at all. That said it was a brutal game to watch. So many mistakes and stupid bits of play I nearly switched off.
I thought it was a fascinating 2nd half. Van Gran pulled off a tactical masterstroke and the players showed great discipline. Favourites for the group now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

blockhead wrote:
offshorerules wrote:I don't know what to make of that match. Conway was lucky in my view but the referee should of had a clear view of the incident though he may have been focussing on the posts. I think it's a great result for Munster to be fair, I didn't think they'd get a point at all. That said it was a brutal game to watch. So many mistakes and stupid bits of play I nearly switched off.
I thought it was a fascinating 2nd half. Van Gran pulled off a tactical masterstroke and the players showed great discipline. Favourites for the group now.
They should be but I've a feeling the group will have some twists and turns yet.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It's the second anniversary of the death of Anthony Foley today. 2 years already.
There was a lovely scene during the post match celebrations in Bilbao between Jonny Sexton and Anthony's Wife and Son. Olive gives Jonny a big hug but the son is more standoffish, dosen't want to be seen hugging a Leinster player, what would his mates think.
Anyway, hope they're all doing well.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: The Franchise Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19

Post by blockhead »

When will the natives shout "STOP, NO MORE GOY'S PLEASE"!
It's got to be disheartening for them, their team is becoming less and less representative of the local community and more of a franchise.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

blockhead wrote:When will the natives shout "STOP, NO MORE GOY'S PLEASE"!
It's got to be disheartening for them, their team is becoming less and less representative of the local community and more of a franchise.
Any more and we will get seats for games in thomond park as part of OUR season ticket.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

[insert prefix here]NSTER
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Could we see the re-emergence of the LUNSTER?
New definition:
LUNSTER-A Leinster fan who has an affinity with Munster due to the large representation of Leinster players in the Munster squad.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's at the stage where a bus should be organised to bring the player's families down to watch them.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cue Deco.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

olaf the fat wrote:
blockhead wrote:When will the natives shout "STOP, NO MORE GOY'S PLEASE"!
Any more and we will get seats for games in thomond park as part of OUR season ticket.
:lol: :clap:
Dont Panic!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:Could we see the re-emergence of the LUNSTER?
New definition:
LUNSTER-A Leinster fan who has an affinity with Munster due to the large representation of Leinster players in the Munster squad.
I'll take it a step further,
LUNSTER:
A Leinster Rugby devotee whose fanatical interest in supporting the province includes the obsessive support of the provinces' players at the world renowned "school for kids who can't read contractual documentation good", in the South African Lowveldt region of Limerick.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

All that said, smart move for Nick. Someone warm up the "Conveyor belt".
Daniel Sullivan
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

blockhead wrote:Cue Deco.
Who's next? At the "A" game on Friday there was a Munster coach who spent his time studying the Leinster players and taking notes. It had the distinct look of a shopping trip. Will we lose one back row or two at the end of the season?

I suppose the McCarthy move further suggests that Leinster are going to lose our "strength and depth" which will undoubtedly weaken us; Munster, by poaching our "depth" will have their foreign signings limited (I guess?), which will weaken them.

We're told it's all for the good of Ireland, and many on here agree. But is this dilution good in the long term for Ireland? for the provinces? Will Munster end up being another Connacht - a development team with a cohort of ex-Leinster players who didn't make the break through? Will Leinster cease to be the best team in Europe because, after our first 15/23 there will be a big step down in quality?

For fans of both teams it's not great news and my Munster pals (I do have some) aren't happy with the make-up of their squad. POC has already come out and said he doesn't agree with the dilution of the Munster squad.

Will the next stage will be the abandonment of the provincial academies and the establishment of a national academy? A re-branding of the Leinster academy, but accepting the best of the other provinces? How will these prospects be divided between the provinces?

Any how for now....and sadly...Munster are a joke of a club, a poor man's Racing Metro. Even worse, they appear to be sliding towards the Connacht model. This will weaken Irish rugby, Munster rugby and Leinster Rugby in the medium to long term.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

They are exactly like what Connacht were. A test tube for 3 other provinces, not much of a fanbase and a squad who stay abstinent most of the time just so they can get it up when the hot Neighbour comes to visit.

But it's hard to argue that the Connacht experiment hasn't worked. Some nice homegrown talent coming through, loyal fanbase, attracting overseas names and growth plans.
Daniel Sullivan
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

And so it continues ......why don't we just ship Porter, Leavy, Toner, Lowe and Leo the Lion down with McCarthy just to shore things up down there.....anything else you fancy ?? Molly Malone ??
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

As a proud but realstic Munster man I have to say I am not too happy about all the imports at the
moment but while certain elements within Munster rugby hold sway the emphasis will remain on picking players primarily from the schools system for the academy ignoring the wealth of potential talent in the non schools areas they are necessary. We need to look at ALL the possibilities as we will always struggle population wise against the Greater Dublin Region and we need to mesh the work of the clubs with the academy to get battle hardened players of the future.
Unfortunately at the moment this seems like fantasy
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

RAILWAY1 wrote:As a proud but realstic Munster man I have to say I am not too happy about all the imports at the
moment but while certain elements within Munster rugby hold sway the emphasis will remain on picking players primarily from the schools system for the academy ignoring the wealth of potential talent in the non schools areas they are necessary. We need to look at ALL the possibilities as we will always struggle population wise against the Greater Dublin Region and we need to mesh the work of the clubs with the academy to get battle hardened players of the future.
Good post and maybe hits the core of the problem, politics and blazers can ruin anything, Ireland needs a strong Munster, it can and hopefully will provide a healthy chunk of the Irish team in the future but a direction change is needed soon and this may also need an acceptance of a few poor seasons in terms of results rather than trying to shore it up from outside to try and keep the show on the road. Reality is the further you go down this road the less likely you are to pull new local talent through as they just won't get a look in.....it's all short sighted , reactionary desperation. The reality is with the Dublin population Leinster should remain as the number one province in Ireland for the foreseeable future, I suspect some people just need to accept this and try and build something local and great in Munster and glory days may return.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Carbery has winners medals for GS, Heino and Pro14.
Is he now the most decorated player in the Munster squad? (Conway may have a few medals too now that I think of it)
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Blueberry wrote:
RAILWAY1 wrote:As a proud but realstic Munster man I have to say I am not too happy about all the imports at the
Good post and maybe hits the core of the problem, politics and blazers can ruin anything, Ireland needs a strong Munster, it can and hopefully will provide a healthy chunk of the Irish team in the future but a direction change is needed soon and this may also need an acceptance of a few poor seasons in terms of results rather than trying to shore it up from outside to try and keep the show on the road. Reality is the further you go down this road the less likely you are to pull new local talent through as they just won't get a look in.....it's all short sighted , reactionary desperation. The reality is with the Dublin population Leinster should remain as the number one province in Ireland for the foreseeable future, I suspect some people just need to accept this and try and build something local and great in Munster and glory days may return.

I don't agree with this cliche that Ireland needs a strong Munster. Ireland's most successful decade has coincided with a hopelessly weak Munster team
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Is cipriani supposed to jump out of the way? He was standing and was run into.