Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote:I would sign a Fullback some lad who is young and is IE some Islander with serious pace. Kearney needs to be replaced sooner rather than later so lets get some young lad now play him solely for us for 5 years and then Ireland can have him.

There's a lad called Israel Folau who is available and not too bad!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by dropkick » June 25th, 2019, 7:56 am
sunshiner1 wrote:
I would sign a Fullback some lad who is young and is IE some Islander with serious pace. Kearney needs to be replaced sooner rather than later so lets get some young lad now play him solely for us for 5 years and then Ireland can have him.
He's not IE
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd imagine we're planning to replace RK with a mix of Larmour, Kelleher, JOB, Keenan, Frawley. Some very exciting raw talent to work with there.

I’m massively excited by JOB in particular. His cameo against Ulster was great and he looks to have that second playmaker ability that we could benefit from if Ross starts getting more and more time at 10.

He could be a great #23 for us further down the line due to his versatility.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

dropkick wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:I would sign a Fullback some lad who is young and is IE some Islander with serious pace. Kearney needs to be replaced sooner rather than later so lets get some young lad now play him solely for us for 5 years and then Ireland can have him.

Sounds great, particularly with Jordan going so well on the wing .... any catches?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:I'd imagine we're planning to replace RK with a mix of Larmour, Kelleher, JOB, Keenan, Frawley. Some very exciting raw talent to work with there.

I’m massively excited by JOB in particular. His cameo against Ulster was great and he looks to have that second playmaker ability that we could benefit from if Ross starts getting more and more time at 10.

Barry Daly too don't forget. He played 15 last season once at least, IIRC.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:I'd imagine we're planning to replace RK with a mix of Larmour, Kelleher, JOB, Keenan, Frawley. Some very exciting raw talent to work with there.

Lot of contenders there alright - not sold on Keenan at fullback at all though, I have to say. Just one man's opinion.

I think Frawley is going to be kept busy at No10 for most of next season. Reider started two games at outhalf for us last season [@ Kings in November, vs Treviso in April] and was used as sub-outhalf in six more wearing the No22 jersey:
  • @ Zebre on 16/02/19;
    @ Wasps on 20/01/19;
    vs Toulouse on 12/01/19;
    @ Treviso on 27/10/18;
    vs Munster on 06/10/18; and
    vs Dragons on 15/09/18.
We'll have to replace those minutes at No10 and No22, and Frawley is ideally placed to profit ... not least because he can kick goals. Wouldn't be surprised to see him feature in 20 matchday squads between starting outhalf and inside back sub.

Larmour started nine games at fullback and eight on the right wing in 2018-19, so I think he has to be considered the likeliest successor to RK at this juncture. I would be surprised if Kelleher is not being viewed as a potential full-time fullback by the coaching set-up. I know he played more rugby at wing than at fullback for Connacht, but his move makes lots more sense as a potential replacement for RK rather than for [say] Ferg. JOB is a wild-card, a potential replacement for Carbery from my point of view. He showed well against Ulster late in the season, so I think most Leinster fans are looking forward to seeing how he does at No15 in a more meaningful game.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

August 17th.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

hugonaut wrote:If Leinster were to make a signing between now and the start of the next season [or even the end of the World Cup], what position should it be in?
In my opinion I wouldn't sign anyone. I really like the balance Leinster have at the moment, really still feels like a representative team with a few "guests" playing. A lot of professional sports are really losing the run of themselves these days and losing that community spirit that got them going in the first place and the fact that leinster is a squad of local lads with the odd Irish relocation (Cronin, Henshaw) and a few foreign lads that really buy into the area (Lowe, Fardy) is really a lot of what I like about leinster. I'd much rather see academy lads get their shot than a big name come in, maybe the results might not be as good initially but it's more exciting to see Frawley get a shot at 10 for example than for us to sign say Quade Cooper, in my opinion anyway.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:August 17th.

Was wondering how long that would take.
I have Bumbleflex
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

Mcelroy was officially announced as leaving Saracens yesterday
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Workhorse wrote:Mcelroy was officially announced as leaving Saracens yesterday
i'd be okay with leinster giving him a shot if whatever differences there were there can be settled.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Hopefully not Kelleher at 15. I think he's far more suited to playing left wing.
hugonaut wrote:Lot of contenders there alright - not sold on Keenan at fullback at all though, I have to say. Just one man's opinion.

I think Frawley is going to be kept busy at No10 for most of next season. Reider started two games at outhalf for us last season [@ Kings in November, vs Treviso in April] and was used as sub-outhalf in six more wearing the No22 jersey:
  • @ Zebre on 16/02/19;
    @ Wasps on 20/01/19;
    vs Toulouse on 12/01/19;
    @ Treviso on 27/10/18;
    vs Munster on 06/10/18; and
    vs Dragons on 15/09/18.
We'll have to replace those minutes at No10 and No22, and Frawley is ideally placed to profit ... not least because he can kick goals. Wouldn't be surprised to see him feature in 20 matchday squads between starting outhalf and inside back sub.

Larmour started nine games at fullback and eight on the right wing in 2018-19, so I think he has to be considered the likeliest successor to RK at this juncture. I would be surprised if Kelleher is not being viewed as a potential full-time fullback by the coaching set-up. I know he played more rugby at wing than at fullback for Connacht, but his move makes lots more sense as a potential replacement for RK rather than for [say] Ferg. JOB is a wild-card, a potential replacement for Carbery from my point of view. He showed well against Ulster late in the season, so I think most Leinster fans are looking forward to seeing how he does at No15 in a more meaningful game.
Reid's stats at 10 (2+6) would be fairly similar to Carbery's stats at 10 while he was here, no? - and that didn't stop him playing fullback a lot.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Yip....just think what a Hogg type player could add to our squad.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I think JOB could be the answer although I have not seen too much of him playing fullback.

It might come down to who does the basics best.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
dropkick wrote:

Sounds great, particularly with Jordan going so well on the wing .... any catches?

One or two catches I hear..
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

dropkick wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:
dropkick wrote:

One or two catches I hear..
Lots of them. It's one of his great strengths!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32xYMK23qKo
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

David Aspil(Backrow) and Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf) were training with leinster for preseason the past two weeks afaik.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:August 17th.

Was wondering how long that would take.
?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:David Aspil(Backrow) and Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf) were training with leinster for preseason the past two weeks afaik.
Adding 1 and 1 together I'm going for 4.
Which means that Ireland have doubts over their HBs.
Which means that Byrne and McGrath will be in or near Japan prior to and during the RWC.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschool wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:David Aspil(Backrow) and Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf) were training with leinster for preseason the past two weeks afaik.
Adding 1 and 1 together I'm going for 4.
Which means that Ireland have doubts over their HBs.
Which means that Byrne and McGrath will be in or near Japan prior to and during the RWC.
Fairly sure that's not allowed.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish