Sevens

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Sevens

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Is the IRFU actually trying to use 7s as a development tool for the full game? I can't actually remember if they stated that they were or if we all just assumed that was the case when they put more focus on it years ago, but either way it seems very separate now to me.

I've always felt that it's most valuable asset for the full game would be to give game time to guys who might be low on confidence and they could get their mojo back. Jack Kelly could potentially be a candidate for that happening.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Is the IRFU actually trying to use 7s as a development tool for the full game? I can't actually remember if they stated that they were or if we all just assumed that was the case when they put more focus on it years ago, but either way it seems very separate now to me.

I've always felt that it's most valuable asset for the full game would be to give game time to guys who might be low on confidence and they could get their mojo back. Jack Kelly could potentially be a candidate for that happening.
Nucifora is a big fan. I assume it's his son that's involved with the team. I think it's a waste of money.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

How realistic is it that Dublin replaces Paris as a leg on the World Series? It'd pay for itself if that happened. I suppose Ireland will have to consolidate their position on the circuit, and not look like getting relegated foe at least a couple of seasons for it to be a goer.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Is the IRFU actually trying to use 7s as a development tool for the full game? I can't actually remember if they stated that they were or if we all just assumed that was the case when they put more focus on it years ago, but either way it seems very separate now to me.

Nucifora is a big fan. I assume it's his son that's involved with the team. I think it's a waste of money.
The goal was to qualify for the Olympics in 2020 (men) and 2016 and 2020 (women) and to qualify for the Mens World Sevens series in, at the earliest, 17-18.

In other, entirely unconnected, news, Irelands qualification plan for the 2021 WRWC was launched today. The unrest and upset caused by Sevens had nothing to do with us failing to qualify automatically, which is why its unconnected. Entirely.
I have Bumbleflex
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

leinsterforever wrote:How realistic is it that Dublin replaces Paris as a leg on the World Series?
Not very.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Is the IRFU actually trying to use 7s as a development tool for the full game? I can't actually remember if they stated that they were or if we all just assumed that was the case...
David Nucifora on Sevens contracts being below minimum wage wrote:Their contracts are the equivalent of a development contract roughly, and we think that’s where it equates into the game because it is a development programme for us
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks. I'm struggling to see the actual pathway the IRFU have set out though, seems like a bit of a hit and hope effort.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Hope for more Sport Ireland $$$s as it's an olympic sport and one women have a good shot at being successful at cheaper/quicker than 15s?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Morf wrote:Hope for more Sport Ireland $$$s as it's an olympic sport and one women have a good shot at being successful at cheaper/quicker than 15s?
You have to make it there though to get the cash, and we haven't yet.

The women were successful at XVs, they beat NZ, won knockout games at world cups, grand slams etc. Now, post the Sevens programme becoming the be all and end all, we're ranked behind Spain in the world rankings
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Morf wrote:Hope for more Sport Ireland $$$s as it's an olympic sport and one women have a good shot at being successful at cheaper/quicker than 15s?

The women were successful at XVs, they beat NZ, won knockout games at world cups, grand slams etc. Now, post the Sevens programme becoming the be all and end all, we're ranked behind Spain in the world rankings
The way the focus changed pre WRWC with the final in Belfast was a disgrace, superb 15's team at their peak and they changed emphasis and blew a final spot and who knows a cup even.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

RTB's fave LaGrue is in the 7s squad for this weekend.

I've seen him play a few times and he's certainly talented and didn't struggle physically. He's really very skinny for a potential pro rugby player but I never really get why people say that someone isn't big enough just because of the stats on a page, it's only if there's evidence of them struggling that there's a problem.

I wonder could this be a permanent move for him though? He doesn't strike me as someone who could use 7s to develop so I wonder if the powers that be have just decided that he'll never be big/good enough and that this is where his future lies.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Dave Cahill wrote:

Focusing on 7s certainly has coincided with a catastrophic decline in womens 15s. Philip Doyle's take on it: https://www.the42.ie/philip-doyle-irela ... 5-Mar2019/

It'll be interesting to see how much Scotland improve with him as coach.
leinsterforever
Mullet

These are the core teams for next year (ranked by how they finished in 2018/2019)

1. Fiji
2. USA
3. NZ
4. SA
5. England
6. Samoa
7. Australia
8. France
9. Argentina
10. Scotland
11. Canada
12. Spain
13. Kenya
14. Wales
15. Ireland (promoted)

Looking at that, I'd say the target should maybe be to finish inside the top 10. Doing that would be pretty impressive. The main thing is to get established and avoid relegation. Ireland got 19 points from two appearances as an invitational team in 2018/19, while relegated Japan only got 27 from their involvement in the whole 10-event series. So you'd have to think at least not finishing last is very doable.

I didn't realise Samoa finished that high up the standings. They could be a tough nut to crack at the Olympic repechage comp.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

leinsterforever wrote:These are the core teams for next year (ranked by how they finished in 2018/2019)

1. Fiji
2. USA
3. NZ
4. SA
5. England
6. Samoa
7. Australia
8. France
9. Argentina
10. Scotland
11. Canada
12. Spain
13. Kenya
14. Wales
15. Ireland (promoted)

Looking at that, I'd say the target should maybe be to finish inside the top 10. Doing that would be pretty impressive. The main thing is to get established and avoid relegation. Ireland got 19 points from two appearances as an invitational team in 2018/19, while relegated Japan only got 27 from their involvement in the whole 10-event series. So you'd have to think at least not finishing last is very doable.

I didn't realise Samoa finished that high up the standings. They could be a tough nut to crack at the Olympic repechage comp.

Sixth is a realistic albeit 'best-case scenario' for Ireland next season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

neiliog93 wrote:Sixth is a realistic albeit 'best-case scenario' for Ireland next season.
I dunno. There's a bit of a difference between being good enough to beat a team, let's say Australia, on a once off basis on any given day and being good enough to consistently beat them and do well enough against everyone else so they finish ahead of Australia overall. Scotland can beat Ireland in the 6N, but it's unlikely they'll finish ahead of them in the table. I think it's very unlikely that the new kids on the block will finish in front of series regulars like Australia, France and Argentina.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

neiliog93 wrote: Sixth is a realistic albeit 'best-case scenario' for Ireland next season.
No, it isn't.
Next season should be about maintaining core status and a top ten finish would be outstanding.

It's a long season- injuries and squad depth can have a devestating effect.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I would be surprised if we don't get top 10 next season - I think 8th is a realistic enough prediction. The Irish (and indeed, Scottish) inferiority complex isn't going to help us!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Wonder what position Aaron Sexton will play. There's a bit of an opening at flyhalf if Keenan isn't gonna be playing 7s anymore. I understand Sexton played some flyhalf in 15s, so he'd probably have the vision and creativity.
neiliog93 wrote:I would be surprised if we don't get top 10 next season - I think 8th is a realistic enough prediction. The Irish (and indeed, Scottish) inferiority complex isn't going to help us!
Realistic, more like. Ireland won't have the element of surprise they had in their invitational appearances to date and teams will come up with tactics to counteract them. I don't watch a huge amount of 7s if Ireland aren't playing, but I heard somewhere Ireland are one of the few teams to keep 7 defenders up and not have a sweeper in behind. There must be a reason most other teams don't do that. That kind of thing will be scrutinised and targeted at this rarefied level.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote:Wonder what position Aaron Sexton will play. There's a bit of an opening at flyhalf if Keenan isn't gonna be playing 7s anymore. I understand Sexton played some flyhalf in 15s, so he'd probably have the vision and creativity.
neiliog93 wrote:I would be surprised if we don't get top 10 next season - I think 8th is a realistic enough prediction. The Irish (and indeed, Scottish) inferiority complex isn't going to help us!
Realistic, more like. Ireland won't have the element of surprise they had in their invitational appearances to date and teams will come up with tactics to counteract them. I don't watch a huge amount of 7s if Ireland aren't playing, but I heard somewhere Ireland are one of the few teams to keep 7 defenders up and not have a sweeper in behind. There must be a reason most other teams don't do that. That kind of thing will be scrutinised and targeted at this rarefied level.
The real difficulty for Ireland will be when other teams begin to analyse how to stop us scoring rather than merely focus on their own game. This is the first step in gaining respect in any sporting competition. However, with that respect earned, the next step is to keep evolving and improving. I'm confident that we can continue to do both, particularly now that we have acquired real pace to combine with our evident rugby 'nous'.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Sevens squad named for first World Series leg

IRELAND MEN’S SQUAD (Dubai 7s – Thursday, December 5 – Saturday, December 7):
Aaron O’Sullivan (Blackrock/Leinster)*
Adam Leavy (Lansdowne)
Billy Dardis (Terenure College)(captain)
Bryan Mollen (Blackrock College)
Foster Horan (Lansdowne)
Greg O’Shea (Shannon)
Harry McNulty (UCD)
Hugo Lennox (Skerries)
Jack Kelly (Dublin University)
John O’Donnell (Lansdowne)
Jordan Conroy (Buccaneers)
Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
Terry Kennedy (St. Mary’s College).

DUBAI SEVENS IRELAND MEN’S MATCH SCHEDULE:
Pool B:
Thursday, December 5 –
Ireland v USA, The Dubai Sevens Stadium, 6.12pm local time/2.12pm Irish time
Friday, December 6 –
Ireland v Australia, The Dubai Sevens Stadium, 11.58am local time/7.58am Irish time
Ireland v Scotland, The Dubai Sevens Stadium, 5.50pm local time/1.50pm Irish time
Saturday, December 7 –
Men’s Play-Offs & Finals, The Dubai Sevens Stadium, TBC.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/11/28/da ... ies-debut/