IRB World Rankings

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: IRB World Rankings

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Every game played where three or more teams compete for a title or trophy used to be the old IRB Definition of a competition. Any competitive fixture under this definition could be included. Double points for RWC fixtures (because every Nation is eligible) and half points for one-off fixtures.

Seems fairly straight forward and would add to credibility of World Rankings
Wouldnt add to credibility. It would weaken touring tests, it would have effects outside of the top 10 teams and as the RWC is the only cross hemisphere competition then standard differences could cause distortions.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

"Say it ain't so Mah!"

The thought of Wales top of the pile is not easy to swallow. However, it presumably will provide some motivation when we meet them in a fortnight.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah lads. Come on. Nh team on top rather than NZ. How bad is that? First time for the Welsh too.

Ok. So they haven't beaten NZ 66 years. Let them have their day in the sun.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

England and us are close, they won the Slam though.

There's an instinct to dismiss Wales but they've been good.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

johng wrote:Ah lads. Come on. Nh team on top rather than NZ. How bad is that? First time for the Welsh too.

Ok. So they haven't beaten NZ 66 years. Let them have their day in the sun.

Between the world cup vote, Heineken cup breakup, moaning about the pro14, looking to join up with English clubs and playing a style of rugby that's hard on the eye, I can't say I'm too happy for them.

At least NZ being top ranked was a victory for attacking rugby.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

So Joe Schmidt leaves these shores having taken us to world number 1
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:So Joe Schmidt leaves these shores having taken us to world number 1
Long may it last!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by TerenureJim

So Joe Schmidt leaves these shores having taken us to world number 1
Well earned!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

By my calculations we can't be No 1 anymore because S Africa were ranked much higher than Scotland and therefore the differential for the NZ win is much higher.

It was nice while it lasted and served a purpose. Interesting how we might get back there!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:By my calculations we can't be No 1 anymore because S Africa were ranked much higher than Scotland and therefore the differential for the NZ win is much higher.

It was nice while it lasted and served a purpose. Interesting how we might get back there!
Yep, barring the biggest shock in world rugby EVER we can’t possibly get there unless we win a quarter final
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Xanthippe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:By my calculations we can't be No 1 anymore because S Africa were ranked much higher than Scotland and therefore the differential for the NZ win is much higher.

Yep, barring the biggest shock in world rugby EVER we can’t possibly get there unless we win a quarter final

We were World NO.1 entering the Word Cup.
When the World Cup is over there will be an updated World Ranking.
Everything inbetween is nonsense.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

We were World NO.1 entering the Word Cup.
When the World Cup is over there will be an updated World Ranking.
Everything inbetween is nonsense.
Not quite. World ranking is a possible tie breaker.

The winner of the match between the two teams
Difference between points scored for and points scored against in all pool matches
Difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all pool matches
Points scored in all pool matches
Most tries scored in all pool matches
Official World Rugby Rankings as of 14 October 2019
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

FLIP wrote: Not quite. World ranking is a possible tie breaker.

Difference between points scored for and points scored against in all pool matches
Difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all pool matches
So, I was right!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:
FLIP wrote: Not quite. World ranking is a possible tie breaker.

So, I was right!
Nope, rankings are still updated each Monday. New Zealand are back on top after the weekend.

https://www.world.rugby/rankings/mru?lang=en
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated. Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 14, 2019 will determine the higher ranked Team.

So not the rankings on the day of the match, or the previous Monday, but the rankings as they were on the 14th of Oct.
My original point was that the updated rankings during the WC are meaningless.

However, I was wrong as it turns out, the above applies to the group phase.
In the knock out phase, in the case of abandoned or cancelled matches
Where all criteria above are not able to determine a winner, the Team that is higher ranked in the official World Rugby World Rankings at the time the Match is scheduled to be played (this criterion will not apply for the Final; in the case that the winner of the Final cannot be determined from the above criteria the two Teams shall be jointly declared winners).
Last edited by blockhead on September 23rd, 2019, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote:Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated. Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 14, 2019 will determine the higher ranked Team.

So not the rankings on the day of the match, or the previous Monday, but the rankings as they were on the 14th of Oct.
My original point was that the updated rankings during the WC are meaningless.
As they will be. It's the 23rd September, 2019 as of this post.
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

World Rugby Rankings see us back in 4th place behind:
1. NZ. 90.98
2. Wales. 88.87
3. England. 88.13
4. Ireland. 85.93
5. S Africa. 85.75
6. Australia 83.52
7. Japan. 82.08
8. France. 81.38

NZ. now a long way ahead and our 2.8 pt gap from England and almost 3.0 pts behind Wales shows the anomalies of the ranking system. On the other hand Japan's advance above France, Scotland and Argentina is proof that it can be responsive to a succession of quick victories against teams ahead of you.

However, those who devised the ranking system must be absolutely delighted to see all eight quarter finalists are the teams listed this morning from 1 to 8. Well done Mastermind, your system works!

P.S. Canada and Namibia at 22 & 23 behind Russia looks about right based on RWC performances. But Spain rising to 16 looks like an anomaly.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

With double points in the world cup, if we beat New Zealand in the quarter, well be ranked above them.

The amount of points you can gain from a win in the world cup nearly guarantees that the quarter finalists will be ranked 1-8 and the winner will be number 1 after the tournament.

Don't forget that Spain would probably have qualified for the world cup without their registration screw up. They probably aren't better than USA but other than that, their ranking looks about right. They finished ahead of Romania in last year's European nations chip.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Schumi wrote:With double points in the world cup, if we beat New Zealand in the quarter, we’ll be ranked above them .
Yep. In fact we’d actually swap places and we’d relegate them to their lowest ever position. Worst they’ve ever been before is 3rd.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So England 1st, S Africa 2nd, NZ 3rd and Wales 4th. Ireland follow in 5th and then Australia.

I suppose it gives Farrell something to aim for come February!