A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro14 R3: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 11th Oct KO 19:35

Post by cormac »

ronk wrote:
johng wrote:
cormac wrote:That was Michael Bent's first try since Feb 2014.
Wow!
Seemed like a response to the card. He'll have been angry over that decision.
Whole team looked angry after the cards. They responded very well to the two yellows.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Apart from taking his try, Bent & Zack coped very well with The Pro14 Dream Team LHP, Schulmann, who is an awesome scrummager. Whitehouse was absolutely at 6s & 7s when it came to front-row infringements. When will most refs realise that whenthe scrum contest is really intense, the scrum will automatically wheel left and sometimes at speed because of how front-row alignment is always biased to left side (everyone of the six front-row players are pushing on the left shoulder of their direct opponent).

Also delighted to see Kelleher involved and competitive in such scrum contests as this is the place he will best learn what is possible as a hooker. It's a tough school but a great learning institution!.

Finally, Leinster should put up a montage of Penny's clear-out technique, which is akin to a mini-JCB. One in particular, close to the Edinburgh line, possibly just before the try by Doris, was absolutely textbook. Penny looks better and better as a senior player, great tackler, great clearout technique and dynamic in possession close to the line.

Very promising game from lots of angles and certainly evidence of the real strength in depth in the Club to mount another serious hunt for the EPCR cup and Pro14 League double.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I thought Tomane was unlucky. Silly idea to slide in but not with obvious malice. Felt it was penalty re-start rather than yellow.

I felt Dooley's body positioning was awful in the scrum, he was engaging with his back already curved in a compromising position.
Each time I copped it the scrum went badly for Leinster.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Morf wrote:I thought Tomane was unlucky. Silly idea to slide in but not with obvious malice. Felt it was penalty re-start rather than yellow.
I don't really get this way of thinking. He slid in with his knees and connected with his knees. He had loads of time to get set but his arms were never out or in position to make any kind of tackle and its not like he got anywhere near the ball.

Agree that there was no malice but that doesn't change the fact that it was dangerous and I don't see any mitigating factors to bring it down from a yellow.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Morf wrote:I thought Tomane was unlucky. Silly idea to slide in but not with obvious malice. Felt it was penalty re-start rather than yellow.
I don't really get this way of thinking. He slid in with his knees and connected with his knees. He had loads of time to get set but his arms were never out or in position to make any kind of tackle and its not like he got anywhere near the ball.

Agree that there was no malice but that doesn't change the fact that it was dangerous and I don't see any mitigating factors to bring it down from a yellow.

I am with you here. Give a yellow every single time and it will stop it or the guy who keeps doing it will get dropped by his own team. It is not a tackle ever and you should not have to try and pull out of it because you should never be doing it in the first place.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

OTT wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

I am with you here. Give a yellow every single time and it will stop it or the guy who keeps doing it will get dropped by his own team. It is not a tackle ever and you should not have to try and pull out of it because you should never be doing it in the first place.
Bang on OTT.
But I wouldn't go as far as calling him scummy because of it.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

blockhead wrote: Bang on OTT.
While you're here and referring to me indrectly, could explain the "beloved Munster" comment please? I'm still utterly bemused by it :lol:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It's obvious: you're a sleeper agent from Shelbyville under deep, deep cover.

I thought it was a good decision and just wish a whole load like it had happened in the past. See also head high challenges: I'm much happier with Sexton's chances of playing while there is zero tolerance on head hits.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I don't think there's really malice involved for the most part when defenders slide in with the knees. I'd say it's just an instinctive thing to try to get low enough to hold up the ball. The only other way would be to dive headlong, and it would be difficult to hold the man up that way.

It is reckless though, and hopefully if it's consistently penalised players will consciously avoid doing it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:It's obvious: you're a sleeper agent from Shelbyville under deep, deep cover.
Honestly, if I'd known people would think this then I'd never have married my cousin.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
While you're here and referring to me indrectly, could explain the "beloved Munster" comment please? I'm still utterly bemused by it :lol:
GWAN outta that. Coming on here and defending the TP faithful more often than not. Dont ask me for examples, I couldn't be bothered.
Also, your name "LeRouxIsPHat"? Bodyshaming a Leinster ledge? or liigiindd as you might say.
I'm on to you man!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
GWAN outta that. Coming on here and defending the TP faithful more often than not. Dont ask me for examples, I couldn't be bothered.
Also, your name "LeRouxIsPHat"? Bodyshaming a Leinster ledge? or liigiindd as you might say.
I'm on to you man!
Is frisking for pens a necessity?
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:It's obvious: you're a sleeper agent from Shelbyville under deep, deep cover.
Honestly, if I'd known people would think this then I'd never have married my cousin.
:happy clapper:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

blockhead wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
I'm on to you man!
In all my time on here I've never been so confused.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ross Byrne's kicking both out of hand and off the tee were not up to his usual high standard on Friday. There was a little bit of wind but nothing that should have troubled him.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

the spoofer wrote:Ross Byrne's kicking both out of hand and off the tee were not up to his usual high standard on Friday. There was a little bit of wind but nothing that should have troubled him.

It was very windy on Friday with big gusts. At times I didn't have to wave the flag the wind took it. For one of the conversions Ross missed the wind gusted as he kicked it and it went wide. At the same time I had to take a step because the flag was caught by the wind.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

IanD wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Ross Byrne's kicking both out of hand and off the tee were not up to his usual high standard on Friday. There was a little bit of wind but nothing that should have troubled him.

It was very windy on Friday with big gusts. At times I didn't have to wave the flag the wind took it. For one of the conversions Ross missed the wind gusted as he kicked it and it went wide. At the same time I had to take a step because the flag was caught by the wind.
Maybe the flapping of the flag distracted the young man.
That flag of yours could be costing us points!
Serb
Mullet

Pro14 R3: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 11th Oct KO 19:35

Post by Serb »

Ross Byrne’s kicking has always been a little bit inconsistent. He runs at a 74% success rate (64/86) in his best ever season, compared to Carbery who kicked 88% (66/75) of his attempts last season and Carty who kicked 79% (56/71) — ideally you want to be 80%+

He did kick very well towards the end of last season, including slotting a few high pressure kicks (e.g vs Ulster in the quarter final), but I think it’s one of the major reasons he’s playing for Leinster instead of sitting in a hotel in Tokyo tonight.

He’s a good player to have in the squad but I don’t believe he’s our long term 10 post Sexton.
Last edited by Serb on October 16th, 2019, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Serb wrote:Ross Byrne’s kicking has always been a little bit inconsistent. He runs at a 75% success rate (64/86) in his best ever season, compared to Carbery who kicked 88% (66/75) of his attempts last season and Carty who kicked 79% (56/71) — ideally you want to be 80%+

He did kick very well towards the end of last season, including slotting a few high pressure kicks (e.g vs Ulster in the quarter final), but I think it’s one of the major reasons he’s playing for Leinster instead of sitting in a hotel in Tokyo tonight.

He’s a good player to have in the squad but I don’t believe he’s our long term 10 post Sexton.
Ross's kicking has notably improved over the last few seasons but still probably short of where it needs to be.

I did notice a slight change in his technique this year. He is pointing the ball much further forward on the tee. In seasons gone by he had it much more upright - presumably feedback from Richie Murphy in Ireland training over the summer.

Hopefully he can have the same upward trajectory as Madigan. He wasn't trusted to hit anything in his early career at Leinster before becoming positively metronomic (I think he credited a lot of this to Richie Murphy as it happens)

As far as long term 10s go I think he could still be up there. But he exists as a pure distributor with his passing and kicking. His pace and ball carrying are extremely lacking.

We're seeing more and more top level 10's now offering the 'dual threat' and Ross might find himself left behind in the way the game seems to be evolving.

But I am a huge fan of his and I always think there will be a place at Leinster for a person with a skill set as good as his
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Harry Byrne will be Sextons successor long term.