19/20 Season Preview: Outhalf

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

19/20 Season Preview: Outhalf

Post by mildlyinterested »

Johnny Sexton(34) - Signed central 2 yr contract in 2019.
Ross Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2017.
Ciaran Frawley(21) - Signed contract in 2019.
Harry Byrne(20) - Academy Y2
David Hawkshaw(20) - Academy Y2

Johnny Sexton returns again fresh off signing another 2 year central contract with the IRFU, he will be absent during the World Cup, Leinster will hope he returns in form and fully fit. Ross Byrne has proven to be a safe pair of hands in Sextons absence and while he is training with the irish squad at the moment he looks unlikely to travel to the world cup at this stage. Ciaran Frawley moves into the senior squad this season, the versatile back will be aiming to nail down the 3rd choice outhalf position in the squad. His competition for that position will come from academy player Harry Byrne, who missed the junior world cup due to injury but was a star performer during the 6 nations. Finally fellow academy player David Hawkshaw will miss the 1st half of the season with injury, the outhalf/inside centre suffered a serious knee injury for the irish u20's in the 6 nations. Upon his return it will be interesting to see what position he plays.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: 19/20 Season Preview: Outhalf

Post by mildlyinterested »

“From the moment he started playing with the Leinster senior team, he’s been one of the leaders, one of the voices in training,” said Byrne’s provincial team-mate Josh van der Flier, who has been named at openside flanker for Ireland.

“He understands the game really well. He understands defences and what he expects of his forwards and backs. He’s very assured, he doesn’t seem to doubt himself at all and that’s very, very impressive to see working.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Byrne is very close a seat on that plane to Japan.
The other lads should have a word with Hughie Green.
It would have the potential to be a career changing experience.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

As wrenching as it was to lose Carbery (particularly when it made shite all difference to our RWC), I am finally coming around to stopping worrying and loving the bomb. Unless there is more IRFU meddling, it could even be a blessing in disguise.

We have an almost perfect profile of 10s to build around (in terms of age and experience). Harry Byrne really does look like a 10 we could build the future around.

Beyond the IRFU meddling, Carbery's injury profile would have meant it would be very disruptive to the squad, getting him his gametime.
Also, having now watched him a lot this year, I am finally seeing why Leinster insisted on playing him so much at 15. Depending on the gameplan, it makes at least as much good out of his skillset. Dave (and others) were defending it at the time, and I finally see why.
I wonder will Frawley or some other player be tried in that role this season.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I understand your logic but don't share it! I agree he's great at 15, and can't help but think of the different dimension he'd offer us there. Like Ireland, we rely too much on our OH for creativity. Having Sexton/Carbery or Byrne/Carbery on the pitch demands a lot more speculation of opposition. In the case of the latter pairing they could have been around for another 8-10 years. Maybe Harry Byrne & Hawshaw will fill the void, but I don't think it's ever good to lose a player like Carbery. Especially when he didn't want to go!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Twist wrote:I don't think it's ever good to lose a player like Carbery. Especially when he didn't want to go!
I spent a year moaning about it, so I obviously agree with you.
But the reality is that the IRFU would have made it very difficult for us to play him at 15, particularly given how often he was injured.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I am not Gordon D'Arcy's ghostwriter!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:I am not Gordon D'Arcy's ghostwriter!
Nobody ever wants to be mistaken for Gavin Cummiskey.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish