Leinster v Dragons RDS Friday 7.35 Eir/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Dragons RDS Friday 7.35 Eir/TG4

Post by curates_egg »

Dragons (v Leinster Rugby): Jordan Williams, Owen Jenkins, Adam Warren, Connor Edwards, Ashton Hewitt, Sam Davies, Rhodri Williams (c); Brok Harris, Richard Hibbard, Leon Brown, Joe Davies, Matthew Screech, Harri Keddie, Ollie Griffiths, Taine Basham

Replacements: Ellis Shipp, Josh Reynolds, Lloyd Fairbrother, Max Williams, Huw Taylor, Luke Baldwin, Arwel Robson, Tyler Morgan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:Am I right in thinking LPG, ROL, Dooley and Bent have started all our games?
Seems like a missed opportunity to not give a less experienced squad member a start in one of the games, particularly at 9.
With the props I think both Milne and Abdaladze have gotten a fair amount of game time off the bench. Was hoping one of Mullin or Tommy O'Brien might get a run out in the centres so that does seem like a possible opportunity lost. As regards to scrum-half I suspect the coaching staff don't trust/rate the back-up options.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

cormac wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Am I right in thinking LPG, ROL, Dooley and Bent have started all our games?
Seems like a missed opportunity to not give a less experienced squad member a start in one of the games, particularly at 9.
With the props I think both Milne and Abdaladze have gotten a fair amount of game time off the bench. Was hoping one of Mullin or Tommy O'Brien might get a run out in the centres so that does seem like a possible opportunity lost. As regards to scrum-half I suspect the coaching staff don't trust/rate the back-up options.
In a game against dragons they should atleast give someone like Hughie a start, he would hardly make them loose it’s not like it’s a big European cup game, I mean he was sub for the Heineken cup final and his passing and box kicks were good in the last game even though he was on for a short period of time. JGP has had a lot of game time this season so far while the other scrum halves had barely any game time for the Senior team.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

cormac wrote:
I find it very weird that someone like Mullin and TOB aren’t getting any game time for the seniors this season, I thought this would be the game they’ll be given a chance
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Well that was some game!

For those lucky enough to have missed last week's game away to Zebre, it was one for the purists/masochists. If fans were getting updates on their phone they may well have thought their apps had broken. Leinster went 3-0 up and well...that was that!

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

There has been a fair bit of discussion regarding Deegan, Doris and the no. 8 position.
Given Conan's unavailabilty, our no. 8 options are basically limited to the two aforementioned gentlemen (Ruddock and Fardy could no doubt slot in an emergency)
Given Deegan's undoubted expertise in the 8 jersey it's therefore likely that Doris is getting the call to play at 8 in order to ensure that we have two players in the squad who are up to speed in one of the most difficult positions to play in rugby.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:
I suppose it's about balance as well. It'd be harsh on Harry Byrne to give him a start beside an inexperienced scrumhalf (even though JGP was awful last week) and with COB making his first appearance of the season it makes sense to have someone beside him who's been playing consistently. It's great that Baird gets to start beside Dev as well.

Glad that Deegan is playing again, really thought he would find himself in the stands for a few weeks and don't even mind him being at 6 for once.

Exciting team, looking forward to seeing COB again. Same with JOB, I have a feeling himself and Lowe will be a really good combo.

Good to see Kelleher back too, it'll be interesting to see how he performs after his last game which was a bit wobbly at times. The signing of his brother really was a strange one. It almost looks like a move that was done for non rugby reasons and just suited both parties to have him around.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Exciting squad. Potentially a great blend of youth and experience.

Looks like there is more importance to bedding in the O'Briens and getting Lowe back into form. than developing elsewhere in the backline.

Same with Kelleher and Baird.

The backrow is standard. We have the talent coming through and the experience is still away. Develop them as a unit.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Very exciting team, packed full of potential but I’m most excited about seeing Baird off from the start
Saw him a couple weeks ago chase down a player in Donnybrook (pretty sure it was a winger, not 100%) and it was one of those moments where the crowd was actually shocked and took a minute to realize what he actually did, super potential in him

Also keen to see Kelleher again, great first couple of outings against ospreys and Edinburgh, along with Jimmy at 15 and Lowe of course
When will internationals be re integrated back, presume we’ll see 2/3 against Connacht but probably not much more???
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'd guess full metal jacket (tm EOS) v Connacht. Or maybe just close to it. No need to rest anyone bar the odd niggle.

I'd say that very few of the players on show this week will be in Connacht.

But sure what do I know. I have been spectacularly wrong in the past.

They could be looking at Treviso in the RDS as a warm up game for all I know.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Looking forward to this. A chance to move on from a good result but a bad game in Italy.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

We need to cut out the silly mistakes
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Beautiful from Penny. He's having a good outing.

Our attack looks fairly laboured at times. Need a bit more carry from the forwards.

Loads of really poor handling errors again.

Baird's athleticism is something else. Covers the ground effortlessly.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

JGP's passing is ropey as f%~k again. Putting Byrne under unnecessary pressure.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Is it just me or does anyone else notice Penny is getting bigger every time we see him play? He’s huge!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

I knew Byrno would score a try on his first start haha
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Couple of pretty bad reads from COB in defence.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Baird’s a strong little b*%&!cks isn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Twist wrote:Baird’s a strong little b*%&!cks isn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was rated better than James Ryan in school and wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out better than him
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Impressive stuff from ROL tonight. He's really standing up in last few games.