Overreliance on St Michael's and Blackrock(?)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Overreliance on St Michael's and Blackrock(?)

Post by hugonaut »

johng wrote:Both the starting and replacement LH props in tonight's team and Shane Delahunt in Connacht. Think there is a guy in the Ulster academy too. Not sure if he has made his debut for them.
Jack Regan?
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Pilotman123 wrote:schools coaches are extremely superior to...
That expensive education was wasted, I see.
thecomedian
Beginner

Post by thecomedian »

johng wrote:Both the starting and replacement LH props in tonight's team and Shane Delahunt in Connacht. Think there is a guy in the Ulster academy too. Not sure if he has made his debut for them.
Though Delahunt did go to Kilkenny College, not the elite but still a few paying school back then. Think he was Leinster schoolboys also.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

thecomedian wrote:
Though Delahunt did go to Kilkenny College, not the elite but still a few paying school back then. Think he was Leinster schoolboys also.
Yep Shane was in Kilkenny College as was Robin Copeland and Craig Ronaldson all three ended up there !.
Flying wedge
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I don't really see the problem with two schools producing a large proportion of Leinster's players. It's probably an example of the Pareto principle that Jordan Peterson is always banging on about and if it wasn't Michael's and Blackrock it'd be a handful of other schools. It's natural enough for a small proportion of the entities to produce the majority of the output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEWRykSgwE
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

leinsterforever wrote:I don't really see the problem with two schools producing a large proportion of Leinster's players. It's probably an example of the Pareto principle that Jordan Peterson is always banging on about and if it wasn't Michael's and Blackrock it'd be a handful of other schools. It's natural enough for a small proportion of the entities to produce the majority of the output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEWRykSgwE
Jaysis wept - really??
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Interesting quote from Tania Rosser on twitter re the successful U19 that were doing a lap of honour. I don't know how true it is but I thought I'd post it as it adds to the discussion:

"Leinster U19 are made up of 21 different clubs and school. Majority are not from Rock and Michael's! Only 9 out of 40 are from those schools"

Still a large number I know but maybe not as many as you might have thought.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Interesting quote from Tania Rosser on twitter re the successful U19 that were doing a lap of honour. I don't know how true it is but I thought I'd post it as it adds to the discussion:

"Leinster U19 are made up of 21 different clubs and school. Majority are not from Rock and Michael's! Only 9 out of 40 are from those schools"

Still a large number I know but maybe not as many as you might have thought.
It is interesting, and it is good. But you could also flip the statistic and say "Nearly 25% of the u-19 squad are from just two schools up the road from each other..".
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

People need to relax saying there’s an over reliance of Michael’s and Blackrock, yes maybe at the moment the Senior team has loads of Michael’s people in it but there’s loads of people from different schools in the sub academy. Belvedere, Gonzaga and Clongowes are starting to produce players into the sub academy and hopefully eventually academy. But what I find very hard to understand is how Michael’s produce all these players and have very little success at schools level. Scott Penny lost to Belvo every year he played in school to a Belvedere team that only produced one professional so far while that Michael’s team produced a couple of players with Leinster caps already. They should be more successful in schools cup considering they produce loads of players to Leinster. But back to my main point, I don’t think there’s an over reliance on Michael’s and Rock. Gonzaga got to a final last year and their Junior cup team already beat Michael’s and Rock in pre season this year. Future looks bright for the other schools and hopefully a school like Gonzaga will produce more professionals