Techy advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by The Doc »

TerenureJim wrote:Ok so don't laugh but can anyone recommend a tech shop/service in town to upgrade a PCs from windows vista to Windows 10, I think it has to step to Windows 7 and then 10 as looking around online there's no one step move. The PC itself is fairly high end (well it was when purchased) and prefer to just update if possible rather than have to splash out on a new laptop although maybe I'm just kidding myself.

Also see rant thread
You can apparently go via Windows 7 upgrades but it seems the advice is to do it via a clean install - means backing up everything on your PC, wiping it and installing Windows 10 from scratch. Described here - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgr ... windows-10 (you might want to check the hardware requirements in that article to make sure your PC is up to it.

I have used a tech shop in Rathmines before (http://www.thecartridgeshop.ie/) - they were fine. I'm always slightly iffy about handing hardware over but there's not really a lot you can do about it. They seem to have various locations so maybe one of them will work for you
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

If you still have not upgraded check if your motherboard is supported, use the manufacturer's site and also check on Google for problems with the board in Windows 10. I have a high end board that was only 2 years old when 10 came out and it gives serious problems, had to downgrade from 10 to continue to use it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:Ok so don't laugh but can anyone recommend a tech shop/service in town to upgrade a PCs from windows vista to Windows 10, I think it has to step to Windows 7 and then 10 as looking around online there's no one step move. The PC itself is fairly high end (well it was when purchased) and prefer to just update if possible rather than have to splash out on a new laptop although maybe I'm just kidding myself.

Also see rant thread
Not going to laugh but you would be batshit mental to put a single penny into a PC that is between 10 and 12 years old. Even if it was the most expensive and high end PCs in existence when bought.

Generally upgrading a PC that is more than 5 years old is questionable.

Any money you spend would be more than the value of the PC. And even if it went spectacularly well, you would end up with an old pc that would run slower with a newer os. The money would be better used if put towards a new PC.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Agree with JG, you would be better served finding something someone is about to discard (which for the majority of us is likely to be 3-5 yrs old).

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

VPN
NordVPN seems to be the one to get.
However I'm always wary of going for the market leaders in something like this.
My thinking is along the lines that Mozilla Firefox was always considered a safer browser than IE because it was less likely to be hacked, IE being the Numero Uno.

Any thoughts or suggestions for either Android or Windows OS' (IOS too if you are that way inclined).

TIA
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Oldschool wrote:VPN
NordVPN seems to be the one to get.
However I'm always wary of going for the market leaders in something like this.
My thinking is along the lines that Mozilla Firefox was always considered a safer browser than IE because it was less likely to be hacked, IE being the Numero Uno.

Any thoughts or suggestions for either Android or Windows OS' (IOS too if you are that way inclined).

TIA
NordVPN is rock solid. Has a massive amount of nodes (harder to be blacklisted), offers decent speeds, doesn't log, and encrypts all traffic.

As for OS, its a personal preference but I'd stick with Windows over Android, if only due to the manner in which vulnerabilities are identified and updated. I'm not an iOS user so haven't an opinion.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Is nordvpn able to circumvent the geoblocks that Netflix and the BBC have?
Having thousands of IPs available is all very well but my understand is that commonly they exist as series of sequential addresses and this makes it simple for content providers to blacklist them.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Nordvpn also had some shady marketing strategies from what I've read. I wouldn't necessarily believe what they say about logging, shady in one way often means shady in others too.
No reason was specified.

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

tomthefan wrote:Is nordvpn able to circumvent the geoblocks that Netflix and the BBC have?
Having thousands of IPs available is all very well but my understand is that commonly they exist as series of sequential addresses and this makes it simple for content providers to blacklist them.
Every time I've used them for that purpose I've had no issues. I think the general usefulness is the pure number of geographically disparate nodes they have in each country - and each will have a different ip address range.
tomthefan wrote:Nordvpn also had some shady marketing strategies from what I've read. I wouldn't necessarily believe what they say about logging, shady in one way often means shady in others too.
Citation needed on the first part.
Anyone But New Zealand
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

I've seen a few bits and pieces here and there for example this https://www.reddit.com/r/nordvpn/commen ... _nord_vpn/.

I'm looking for a vpn that can overcome geoblocking by the BBC (currently for test match special) but at the same time I don't want to enter a honeypot
No reason was specified.

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

That's not exactly a shady marketing strategy, and doesn't really have much substance behind it.

For your purposes nordvpn will be more than good enough. If the Russians were so interested in your cricket listening they'd find a way to get it regardless.
Anyone But New Zealand
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Had some electrical work done recently, since then my TV keeps losing the broadband. Result is I have to re-enter the password every day and being unable to remote record. Anyone have any idea how I might rectify this revolting situation?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

domhnallj wrote:Had some electrical work done recently, since then my TV keeps losing the broadband. Result is I have to re-enter the password every day and being unable to remote record. Anyone have any idea how I might rectify this revolting situation?
You try reset to default on the TV and start again
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rooster wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Had some electrical work done recently, since then my TV keeps losing the broadband. Result is I have to re-enter the password every day and being unable to remote record. Anyone have any idea how I might rectify this revolting situation?
Process of elimination.
Can you check if the broadband connection to the TV has been damaged?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

rooster wrote:
I didn't know how to do that and there is no way I am reading a manual. I plugged everything out out for ten minutes lasat night and it seems to have worked in that the boradband which wasn't working pre-plugout was now working post-plugin. I will monitor the situation and report back.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

By any chance would anyone know why spell check keeps turning itself off in Word? I noticed it that it had stopped working so fixed it, but it keeps reverting back after a couple of minutes.

It may be relevant that I had change the default language to french a while ago and had to turn spell check off. It was working perfectly for a few months since then though.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:By any chance would anyone know why spell check keeps turning itself off in Word? I noticed it that it had stopped working so fixed it, but it keeps reverting back after a couple of minutes.

It may be relevant that I had change the default language to french a while ago and had to turn spell check off. It was working perfectly for a few months since then though.
This happened to me too. The problem for me was that i had more than one version of MS office installed. It wasn't a problem (other than each copy is 240MB) until I updated one of the foreign language ones.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thanks Peg Leg, don't think I have two versions installed but now that you mention it the problem might have started around the time I renewed the subscription so maybe they could be linked in some way.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Anyone manage to get onto Rugbylist this season??
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Anyone manage to get onto Rugbylist this season??
Yes, using my PC.
Couldn't login using Firefox, not sure why, but was ok using IE.
Just logged on using my mobile. Chrome used
Had to make sure I got my username and password entered properly.