HEC R1 Leinster v Treviso Sat 3.15 BT Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

HEC R1 Leinster v Treviso Sat 3.15 BT Sports

Post by wixfjord »

Europe rocks around again and after that performance it will be a very, very interesting selection that could go a few ways.

Would love to see Leo et al stay with some of the younger and more in form guys. Don't think Johnny will be back until Lyon but on last night's performance Byrne should keep his spot anyway.

I think Tomane should start at 12 also and would give strong consideration to Keenan at 15, though it might just need a bit more experience in that backline.

So something like the following:

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Tomane, Ringrose, Byrne, Larmour

Dooley, Tracy, Furlong, Ryan, Connors, JGP, H Byrne, Henshaw

(Don't think Frawley is in the Euro squad right?)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: HEC R1 Leinster v Treviso Sat 3.15 BT Sports

Post by cormac »

Yep, Frawley currently isn't in the squad but we can replace up to five players before Wednesday this week.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:Europe rocks around again and after that performance it will be a very, very interesting selection that could go a few ways.

Would love to see Leo et al stay with some of the younger and more in form guys. Don't think Johnny will be back until Lyon but on last night's performance Byrne should keep his spot anyway.

I think Tomane should start at 12 also and would give strong consideration to Keenan at 15, though it might just need a bit more experience in that backline.

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Tomane, Ringrose, Byrne, Larmour

I dunno, I think that Dave Kearney has been in scorching form so far this season.

I'd go with Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Connors, Doris, McGrath, Byrne major, Lowe, Tomane, Ringrose, Kearney minor, Larmour
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Something to be said for Lowe, Larmour, Keenan back three no?

Keenan has been impressive early season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agree about starting Porter. He deserves it after last night and with Tadgh not being involved I think it makes sense to put him on the bench next week and then start him for the second game. Sorry to go on about this but I really think he has to move to LH next season, really doesn't make sense to me that we'd rotate the two of them over the next four years when there's a gaping hole appearing on the LH side and Porter has experience there.

You could pick names out of a hat for the back row, centres, and back three and it would be a great selection. No matter who gets picked there are going to be some brilliant players missing out. It's amazing that someone like COB isn't even in the conversation for this one.

I'd be tempted to go with Tomane and Henshaw again but then again we could do with Henshaw and Ringrose getting games together. I'd hate for ROL to miss out entirely but that'll probably be the case. Maybe starting Tomane and Henshaw and then having Ringrose at 23 with a view to starting the next game would make the most sense.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

With the number of in-form displays, it just might be that Leo decides to select like 'Cody'- purely on form, with nobody getting a start who hasn't yet produced a performance. So J10, Ringer, Tadgh & JVdF benching and a team possibly like:
Cian, Kelleher, Porter, Dev, Fardy, Murphy, Connors, Deegan, JGP, Ross, Lowe, CO'B, Tomane, DK, RK. Bench: Dooley, Tracy, Tadgh, Rhys, JVdF, Luke, J10 & Ringer.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:Europe rocks around again and after that performance it will be a very, very interesting selection that could go a few ways.

I'd start JGP.
We need to find a replacement for McGrath, he just isn't working out.
Look at the 57/58 min of the Connacht match half for two good examples of why.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote: I'd start JGP.
We had five tries by half time and the pace he put on the ball was a big part of that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

You've a bizarre fetish for writing off halfbacks.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:With the number of in-form displays, it just might be that Leo decides to select like 'Cody'- purely on form, with nobody getting a start who hasn't yet produced a performance. So J10, Ringer, Tadgh & JVdF benching and a team possibly like:
Cian, Kelleher, Porter, Dev, Fardy, Murphy, Connors, Deegan, JGP, Ross, Lowe, CO'B, Tomane, DK, RK. Bench: Dooley, Tracy, Tadgh, Rhys, JVdF, Luke, J10 & Ringer.

Hmm, if you're going on that criteria what performance has COB or Rob Kearney produced?
Likewise do you measure 'form' on one game?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
We had five tries by half time and the pace he put on the ball was a big part of that.
As I said look at the 57/58 mins.
In a tight game that sort of stuff will kill you.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:

Nothing bizarre in pointing out any player's deficiency.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
As I said look at the 57/58 mins.
In a tight game that sort of stuff will kill you.
I'm not being funny but I don't need to look. The idea that "he just isn't working out" considering we just battered Connacht and he's been a vital cog in the best (legitimate) team in Europe for the last two years far outweighs any issues he has, and he does have issues, he's far from perfect. And neither is JGP, who has actually been very mixed all season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Nothing bizarre in pointing out any player's deficiency.
Well...there sort of is if you're so relentless and biased in doing it that you talk about a guy who has been a mainstay of a trophy winning side for years as 'not working out' (particularly after a game in which he was an important part of a great performance).

You've also ignored JGP's pretty mixed start to the season for some reason.

As per usual OS you've an agenda that you're going to keep hammering home no matter what.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I’ve just watched back those minutes and I have no idea what you’re talking about. He sniped and was tackled, so what? Then his pass was a little high but still went to hand. He’s a Leinster player who’s top class and always gives his all.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Think it might be advisable to start Tracy and bring Kelleher on at the 50min mark. HCC is another level up and the Treviso pack will be well up for this one.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Oldschool wrote:Think it might be advisable to start Tracy and bring Kelleher on at the 50min mark. HCC is another level up and the Treviso pack will be well up for this one.
So you’re telling me you think Tracey is better than Kelleher? Did you even watch Kelleher play the last few weeks? I’d be worried starting Tracey in this Heineken Cup game, Kelleher is much the better player
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Pilotman123 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Think it might be advisable to start Tracy and bring Kelleher on at the 50min mark. HCC is another level up and the Treviso pack will be well up for this one.
So you’re telling me you think Tracey is better than Kelleher? Did you even watch Kelleher play the last few weeks? I’d be worried starting Tracey in this Heineken Cup game, Kelleher is much the better player
More a case of easing Kelleher into HCC, it is his first season at Pro14 level after all.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

I'd go:
Healy
Kelleher
Porter
Fardy
Ryan
Ruddock
Connors
Deegan
McGrath
R.Byrne
Lowe
Tomane
Ringrose
Larmour
Keenan

Tracy
Dooley
Furlong
Toner
Van Der Flier
Gibson-Park
Sexton/ H.Byrne
O'Loughlin/ J.O'Brien
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:
More a case of easing Kelleher into HCC, it is his first season at Pro14 level after all.
Treviso at home is relatively gentle for a HC fixture.