Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:Alby gone on the 23rd.

https://www.the42.ie/alby-mathewson-mun ... 1-Nov2019/
This bit.
The 33-year old is determined to go out on a high, starting with their home clash against Ulster tomorrow and also the start of the Heineken Champions Cup, with Johann van Graan including him in the squad for Europe ahead of promising Irish U20 Craig Casey.
For 1 game?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

blockhead wrote:

This bit.
The 33-year old is determined to go out on a high, starting with their home clash against Ulster tomorrow and also the start of the Heineken Champions Cup, with Johann van Graan including him in the squad for Europe ahead of promising Irish U20 Craig Casey.
For 1 game?
Mathewson's registered in Heineken squad for first 2 rounds - Ospreys and Racing on the 23rd. He will be swopped out ahead of the double header v Saracens in Rounds 3 and 4.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

tomthefan wrote:We were sold a dud!
Sold??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

He’s been brilliant for them

We should sign him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There goes my theory that Murray would need an op after the World Cup and Alby would stay on.

Not that I'd wish an op on Murray but it's pretty worrying that he wasn't just trying to get through that tournament if that's the form he's been showing since his return. I think it was nerve damage and that can be a funny thing so hopefully he recovers in the same way Healy did.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:There goes my theory that Murray would need an op after the World Cup and Alby would stay on.

Not that I'd wish an op on Murray but it's pretty worrying that he wasn't just trying to get through that tournament if that's the form he's been showing since his return. I think it was nerve damage and that can be a funny thing so hopefully he recovers in the same way Healy did.
Hopefully but not at the expense of Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Munster have got an "interesting" Heineken group - angry Saracens, Ospreys in the brown stuff and Racing also in trouble 13th in T14.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

neill_m wrote:Munster have got an "interesting" Heineken group - angry Saracens, Ospreys in the brown stuff and Racing also in trouble 13th in T14.
Maybe an uninterested Saracens and a distracted Racing?

Saracens are gonna get a serious reception in Limerick anyway!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

McCall already said that the league would be their focus due to the points deduction and needing to avoid relegation and that their selections in Europe would reflect that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Coming pretty close to a joker at outhalf. A bit close to the HC to do anything though.

Tyler is there and Scannell is a good option. After that it's Healy or moving Cronin. They were probably going for a 6-2 bench anyway so no biggie for now.

Leinster have been down Frawley and Sexton for most of the season so far, but we have options because Harry Byrne has been getting a run.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Coming pretty close to a joker at outhalf. A bit close to the HC to do anything though.

Tyler is there and Scannell is a good option. After that it's Healy or moving Cronin. They were probably going for a 6-2 bench anyway so no biggie for now.

Leinster have been down Frawley and Sexton for most of the season so far, but we have options because Harry Byrne has been getting a run.
With Matheson about to leave (after round 2?) they could look for a medical Joker at OH.
It will have to be done quickly unless Matheson can play OH.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

ronk wrote:Coming pretty close to a joker at outhalf. A bit close to the HC to do anything though.

Munster might be borrowing Harry Byrne as a medical joker according to Gavin in the IT today, bit worrying to be considering someone so inexperienced
for the Heinken Cup though. Hope he's not as easily crocked as Joey at least!
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

tomthefan wrote:

Munster might be borrowing Harry Byrne as a medical joker according to Gavin in the IT today, bit worrying to be considering someone so inexperienced
for the Heinken Cup though. Hope he's not as easily crocked as Joey at least!
Ah, I'd say it's just Cummiskey speculating, or possibly van Graan messing around in response to Leinster sniffing around Casey. At least, I hope it's that, cos it would make very little sense. Why would Munster want to parachute Byrne in when they've their own guy at a similar development stage already training with them? Do the academy players train with the senior squad at Munster? Lancaster mentioned that as one of the best things for development, and Lam did it at Connacht.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

tomthefan wrote:. Hope he's not as easily crocked as Joey at least!
Joey didn't get injured much playing for us...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

When the draw for the HCC pools was made, Munster looked to have got a very tough draw.
However recent events would appear to have changed that situation quite dramatically.
Ospreys are playing like drains at the moment and are likely to be unable to turn that around before Christmas.
Racing aren't exactly pulling up trees in the TOP14 either, lying 10th as I post but no doubt affected to some extent by the RWC.
Saracens are the big "surprise", cough, cough.
Their coach has said they'll be prioritizing the PRL over the HCC and it's the logical thing to do financially.
That doesn't mean they'll throw in the towel but we might see more rotation for some of their HCC matches.
A lot will depend on their RWC returnees, whom, come to think of it, will be quite late returning from Japan, which is far from ideal.
All of the above and Munster being Munster suggests that Munster have a decent chance of reaching the QFs again.
A lot will depend on the size of the final points deduction Saracens receive.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

If Harry Byrne does go to Munster on a 'temporary basis' , I doubt that he will ever return to Leinster. We would be told that he really loves the culture of Munster Rugby and that he would hate to leave. Was there not a suggestion at one time that Joey's move was to be 'temporary ' ?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Angelsea Angst wrote: Was there not a suggestion at one time that Joey's move was to be 'temporary ' ?
Nope.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Angelsea Angst wrote: Was there not a suggestion at one time that Joey's move was to be 'temporary ' ?
Nope.
For the sake of 1 match (that we lost anyway) they directly affected approx 10 years of a guys career and Leinster's use of a potential franchise player for the same period.

Leinster have to plan a new replacement for Sexton (or Kearney), Munster tossed their brightest star at 10 for years on the scrapheap and the IRFU broke the improved coordination between provinces over the last 10 years.