Lyon v Leinster R2 HCC 23 Nov 2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Lyon v Leinster R2 HCC 23 Nov 2019

Post by Oldschool »

Lyon absolutely milling the Saints scrum.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Lyon v Leinster R2 HCC 23 Nov 2019

Post by wixfjord »

My side for this would be:

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Toner, Fardy, VDF, Ruddock, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, RK
Dooley, Tracy, Furlong/Bent, Molony, Deegan, JGP, R Byrne, ROL

Doris didn't take his opportunity yesterday for me, but not sure I'd want to throw Deegan in against a French side away either.
Their pitch is quite sticky I believe so might be a slower game than we'd like, which is why I'd go for a pack like that.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote:My side for this would be:

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Toner, Fardy, VDF, Ruddock, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, RK

Doris didn't take his opportunity yesterday for me, but not sure I'd want to throw Deegan in against a French side away either.
Their pitch is quite sticky I believe so might be a slower game than we'd like, which is why I'd go for a pack like that.
Bit hard to "take your opportunity" when you're sparked out after 15 minutes.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah that's a pretty hot take alright :lol: I thought he had a really good 15 minutes anyway.

I wonder if we've completely given up on ROL as a winger? Can't remember when he last played there but with DK playing pretty poorly yesterday (in my opinion anyway). Adam not exactly demanding to be picked, Ferg not in the Euro squad, and Rob potentially giving way to Larmour at fullback, there's an opportunity on the right wing for someone and I certainly wouldn't be against ROL getting a shot there. I'm a big fan of Adam and would have him as first choice, but if that's not how the coaches see it then I'd love ROL to be considered instead.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

NF in the Indo feels we have become "predictable".

Haven't heard this criticism fired at Lancaster/Leo before.

Anything in it or just a Franno cry for attention?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Doris really caught the eye both in attack and defense before getting knocked out. But I doubt he'll be considered for the next match.

Right wing is interesting alright, I wasn't impressed with Dave at the weekend. He's got to back himself to score there and Adam Byrne, for example, would have. Its quite frustrating.

Beating Treviso in a European Cup game was predictable.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Start Furlong for Porter, Fardy for Toner, Max for Dorris, Henshaw for ROL and Adam Byrne for Dave.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Lyon seem to have a powerful scrum and relatively decent pack, but their line out was a bit poor.

The main stand out from the game today was how poor Lyon’s discipline was. They conceded 17 penalties and the commentator mentioned that they average 13 penalties conceded per game this season.

Fernandez started at 10 and I didn’t think he was great, but I think usually Wisniewski starts for them. Think they would have been a lot better if he has started today.

Overall, I don’t think I’d be too worried about Lyon. Northampton looked a lot more dangerous to me to be honest.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

fourthirtythree wrote:Right wing is interesting alright, I wasn't impressed with Dave at the weekend. He's got to back himself to score there and Adam Byrne, for example, would have. Its quite frustrating.
Not pinning the ears back reminded me of this and first appreciating Ferg's pace in space for the first time. (7.17 on)

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

:lol: You're referring to Mike Ross's scintillating break at just under the minute mark, yes?
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

fourthirtythree wrote:Doris really caught the eye both in attack and defense before getting knocked out. But I doubt he'll be considered for the next match.

Right wing is interesting alright, I wasn't impressed with Dave at the weekend. He's got to back himself to score there and Adam Byrne, for example, would have. Its quite frustrating.

I agree. There was a moment half way through the 2nd half - the cross field kick he let bounce and then ran into Josh.
Maybe I'm a little harsh as I have not seen a re-run but I was surprised he never attacked the ball. Then he didn't back
himself one on one on the outside. You just get the sense had it been Lowe the outcome would have been different.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

tingman wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Doris really caught the eye both in attack and defense before getting knocked out. But I doubt he'll be considered for the next match.

I agree. There was a moment half way through the 2nd half - the cross field kick he let bounce and then ran into Josh.
Maybe I'm a little harsh as I have not seen a re-run but I was surprised he never attacked the ball. Then he didn't back
himself one on one on the outside. You just get the sense had it been Lowe the outcome would have been different.
I don't think he HAD to go on the outside but it was disappointing that he didn't alright. He could have gone on the outside, he could have gone in to out and looked for the offload inside, he could have stepped inside the last defender and gone for that gap, or gone for that gap and looked for the offload. I really don't know what he was trying to do in the end, there was no space there and even if he had avoided Josh he was still taking him out of the equation. It was all very hesitant and nervy, and he made other mistakes as well.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Backs coach Felipe Contepomi has given a squad update following the weekend win over Benetton with focus now turning to Lyon in Round 2 of the Heineken Champions Cup (KO 3.15pm Irish time).

Having been withdrawn from the lineup on Saturday morning, Joe Tomane (hamstring) will be further assessed before a final decision is made on his involvement this weekend.

Caelan Doris’ first European start ended in the first half on Saturday due to a head injury and he will follow the Graduated Return to Play Protocols under the supervision of team medics.

Centre Rory O’Loughlin picked up a contact injury to his shoulder and will be further assessed this week along with Tadhg Furlong who has a minor back complaint.

Robbie Henshaw recovered from illness to come on as a replacement against Benetton with no issues and will train as normal this week.

Will Connors has successfully come through the Graduated Return to Play Protocols after sustaining a head injury against Connacht.

Seán Cronin (neck) will again increase his training load this week but remains unavailable for selection.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote:
wixfjord wrote:My side for this would be:

Bit hard to "take your opportunity" when you're sparked out after 15 minutes.
Sorry yes that's unfair. What I should've said was I think he needed a big game to start away in France and didn't get it, whatever the reason.
Sounds like he won't make it for Sat in any case, but even if he did I want Fardy & Ruddock in the pack for this personally.

Having Tadhg fit for this would be a boost and give a different look to our bench.

Wouldn't be surprised to see JGP be given a start too. Thought McGrath was poor on Sat. Albeit he usually gets these types of games.
etak252
Learner

Post by etak252 »

Lyon scrum looked very strong yesterday. Hope Tadhg Furlong recovers in time.

Last thing you want away in France is a struggling set piece.

Only other change is maybe Luke McGrath. Passing not as crisp or accurate as Gibson Park.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Doesn't look too much like Furlong will be playing
https://www.the42.ie/tadhg-furlong-dori ... 6-Nov2019/
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

fourthirtythree wrote:Doesn't look too much like Furlong will be playing
https://www.the42.ie/tadhg-furlong-dori ... 6-Nov2019/
Furlong trained today.

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1844547/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looked like he was training today and taking a bit of contact.

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I want to see James Ryan, Dev & Fardy in starting pack to attack their lineout. But I also want Ruddock & Josh. So Rhys to No 8 and Josh & Fardy on the flanks.

This Lyon pack must be stopped on the gain line and put to ground. Strong scrum but weak lineout. Mess up lineout and maul disintegrates.

Right wing, I'm happy with Larmour or Adam with RK at full-back.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

fourthirtythree wrote::lol: You're referring to Mike Ross's scintillating break at just under the minute mark, yes?
Absolutely! No hesitancy to pin the ears back!

Is there much/any balance to be found in a back 5 of scrum with 2 locks, 2 4/6s and a 6 (occasional 8 less so 7)?