Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Cianostays »

I'd hope to see a strong team go over with a small amount of rotation for Northampton next week. Some of the frontliners need minutes, others probably need to be managed.

1-23: Dooley, Treacey, Furlong, Dev, Fardy, Ruddock, Connors, Doris/Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Kelleher, Henshaw, O'Brien, Byrne, Rob K, Byrne, Bent, Porter, Baird, Penny, JGP, Sexton, Larmour.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by wixfjord »

Considering Glasgow are conference mates of ours I'd like to see us going similarly strong too.

I'd go with:

Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Dev, Molony, Rhys, Connors, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, DK, Henshaw, ROL, Byrne, Keenan
Dooley, Tracy, Furlong, Fardy, Doris, McGrath, Frawley, JOB

I think Porter should be given the start and I think the plastic pitch might mean we stick the Byrne twins in to give us a bit of extra carrying.

Max needs game time at 8 if he's going to be there for Northampton too.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd be much more conservative to be honest. The league is a marathon, not a sprint. I'd leave out all our European starters bar those that need match fitness.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

wixfjord wrote:Considering Glasgow are conference mates of ours I'd like to see us going similarly strong too.

I'd go with:

Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Dev, Molony, Rhys, Connors, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, DK, Henshaw, ROL, Byrne, Keenan

I think Porter should be given the start and I think the plastic pitch might mean we stick the Byrne twins in to give us a bit of extra carrying.

I like the look of this team. I’m a bit concerned about our form but I still think we can’t risk too many HC starters with the two Northampton games coming up. There’ll be some bruised bodies coming back from France after the slugfest yesterday

I do think we need to be open-minded about form though. If someone like, say, Connors goes over to Glasgow and has another stormer he should be considered for the following week.

Just to expand a little on our form; I know we won all three of Zebre, Benetton and Lyon, and that two were away, but having watching Ireland’s agonising decline this year I don’t think we can just assume that normal service will resume in the bigger games. If someone isn’t performing they can’t be allowed to coast on reputation. I hope this is being hammered home in training
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Considering the next three games after this are the back to backs with our biggest rivals for our champions cup group followed by a game against our nearest rivals in our conference I think fringe players with some academy lads is the way to go here. Glasgow could be tempted to rest a few of their players and have been awful this year when missing lads at the World Cup.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Twist wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Considering Glasgow are conference mates of ours I'd like to see us going similarly strong too.

I'd go with:

I like the look of this team. I’m a bit concerned about our form but I still think we can’t risk too many HC starters with the two Northampton games coming up. There’ll be some bruised bodies coming back from France after the slugfest yesterday

I do think we need to be open-minded about form though. If someone like, say, Connors goes over to Glasgow and has another stormer he should be considered for the following week.

Just to expand a little on our form; I know we won all three of Zebre, Benetton and Lyon, and that two were away, but having watching Ireland’s agonising decline this year I don’t think we can just assume that normal service will resume in the bigger games. If someone isn’t performing they can’t be allowed to coast on reputation. I hope this is being hammered home in training
Can Connors cover any positions apart from 7? I see your point, but VDF deserves to keep his starting position for the Northampton game (should have been MOTM yesterday) and he's the least likely of the backrow that would need to be replaced.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Resting players with no form makes sod all sense to me. I'd play the lot of them and fit in a rest after the back-to-backs.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Logorrhea wrote:Resting players with no form makes sod all sense to me. I'd play the lot of them and fit in a rest after the back-to-backs.
The next two Gabe’s after the back to backs are Ulster and Munster.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Well we always send the kids out for the away interpro v Munster and we can probably expect ulster will do the same with us saving player for Connacht the next week.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well we always send the kids out for the away interpro v Munster and we can probably expect ulster will do the same with us saving player for Connacht the next week.
Went full tilt last season
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well we always send the kids out for the away interpro v Munster and we can probably expect ulster will do the same with us saving player for Connacht the next week.
Yeah - and look how that panned out...
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Laighin Break wrote:
Twist wrote:

I'd go with:

Can Connors cover any positions apart from 7? I see your point, but VDF deserves to keep his starting position for the Northampton game (should have been MOTM yesterday) and he's the least likely of the backrow that would need to be replaced.
Why not? He'll give you different things.

You might want a jumping 8 like Conan or Deegan (or Doris). It would be useful to add some hefty ball carriers elsewhere.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

riocard911 wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

I don't remember, I stopped watching rugby around last Christmas and only just started again. It must have been great though as past performance IS a guarantee of future performance isn't it?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

riocard911 wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
What is your point here? Are you trying to imply we shouldn't put our strongest team possible out for big games?
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

its all we need really!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Pretty sure that Leo has said that the RWC players will be getting a break over Xmas/New Year.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

In answer to your question, arsebiscuits1:

My point is one should be careful in one's choice of battles. I'd rather send the kids to Limerick and let them gain valuable experience and maybe pull off a surprise win, than send my first choice line-up down and have them end up losing. In terms of continuity and maintaining momentum, I would think it's the better way to go. Last Xmas' match in Thomond is proof of that thesis, IMO.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Who are referring to when we talk of 'the kids' now? Hugo Keenan? Josh Murphy? Will Connors? I'm fine with sending them to Limerick. Remember the wailing when we sent out Dan Leavy et al? That came to look stupid pretty quickly.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

No new injuries. McFadden, Tomane and O’Loughlin all back in training this week. Cronin still not available
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep I think a Christmas derby in Thomond is the absolute perfect place to give hungry guys like Doris, Connors, Keenan, JOB, R. Kelleher a start.
Maybe not all of them but a side with a mix of them would be great to see.

I don't want to see us full strength down there.

If you look at the side that won there a few years back (with Leavy, ROL, Larmour etc) it seemed to really bring on a few of them.