Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
Blueberry
Graduate
Posts: 508
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Blueberry »

Really enjoyed that......a superbly coached young team executing perfectly.

Lots of little things but scrapping to the death to prevent a try at the end there shows where this bunch of youngsters are atm.

The future is bright the future is blue.

User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6117
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by blockhead »

Ah just brilliant! What a performance and what a last stand.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!

alanair
Graduate
Posts: 638
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by alanair »

Gosh , maybe Newstalk will bother their a**es giving Leinster more than 2 minutes in their ‘rugby hour’ next week :D
Though Munsters ‘heroic narrow defeat’ will probably feature......

User avatar
neiliog93
Brian O'Driscoll
Posts: 3965
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by neiliog93 »

Will Connors was outrageous. Six or seven massive hits. Wonderful, organised, accurate and tenacious defensive performance from the whole team, with Connors as the exemplar.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6117
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by blockhead »

alanair wrote:Gosh , maybe Newstalk will bother their a**es giving Leinster more than 2 minutes in their ‘rugby hour’ next week :D
Though Munsters ‘heroic narrow defeat’ will probably feature......
They'll probably say that we "out-Munstered Glasgow"!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!

Pilotman123
Graduate
Posts: 588
Joined: July 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Pilotman123 »

neiliog93 wrote:Will Connors was outrageous. Six or seven massive hits. Wonderful, organised, accurate and tenacious defensive performance from the whole team, with Connors as the exemplar.
Penny has some competition now

alanair
Graduate
Posts: 638
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by alanair »

And by the sound of it .... I’m not sure Connors went to Michaels ....???

backrower8
Enlightened
Posts: 890
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by backrower8 »

Excellent performance and result.

The defensive system and attitude is markedly different this year and a weapon in itself.

alanair
Graduate
Posts: 638
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by alanair »

And back in the world of Eirsports... there’s Ryle pretending he was at the Trevuso- Cardiff game ... :)

Ruckedtobits
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4939
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Decent Match Report from Tom English @ BBC Scotland:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/50598330

Maybe written from a Warriors perspective as I was listening to BBC Radio Scotland and have never heard so much moaning about a Referee.

User avatar
Serb
Knowledgeable
Posts: 278
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Serb »

Early stats indicating that Connors made 22 tackles in the game and missed none. Molony credited with 17, missing 2 and maybe somewhat surprising, Conor O’Brien makes up Leinster’s top three tacklers, putting in 14 tackles, missing 3.

Overall, that was a top tier league performance. The kids step up and do the job against the much more experienced team. Back row were fantastic, locks were good, half backs were fine, really liked Conor O’Brien, coaches did a great job shoring up the scrum after Bent got pinged a few times in the first half.

More concerning for me right now is the lack of quality on the wings. Kelleher did well to finish both tries but honestly, put any back in the squad out on the left wing and they’d probably end up in the same position and finish the chances off. Adam Byrne popped up at first receiver a few times and returned a couple of kicks, but was basically anonymous.

Beyond Lowe and Larmour (who I assume will be a fullback come next season), we have a pretty average bunch with no obvious quality coming through. Might be worth a look into who’s available next season, we’ll likely have no NIQs on the books unless Tomane gets renewed.

User avatar
desperado
Mullet
Posts: 1260
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Location: location location

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by desperado »

Serb wrote:Early stats indicating that Connors made 22 tackles in the game and missed none. Molony credited with 17, missing 2 and maybe somewhat surprising, Conor O’Brien makes up Leinster’s top three tacklers, putting in 14 tackles, missing 3.

Overall, that was a top tier league performance. The kids step up and do the job against the much more experienced team. Back row were fantastic, locks were good, half backs were fine, really liked Conor O’Brien, coaches did a great job shoring up the scrum after Bent got pinged a few times in the first half.

More concerning for me right now is the lack of quality on the wings. Kelleher did well to finish both tries but honestly, put any back in the squad out on the left wing and they’d probably end up in the same position and finish the chances off. Adam Byrne popped up at first receiver a few times and returned a couple of kicks, but was basically anonymous.

Beyond Lowe and Larmour (who I assume will be a fullback come next season), we have a pretty average bunch with no obvious quality coming through. Might be worth a look into who’s available next season, we’ll likely have no NIQs on the books unless Tomane gets renewed.
You're very harsh there on Adam Byrne; when we needed a bit of spark in the first half he provided it a few times. Gathered well in the air; didn't die with the ball, made yards. Kelleher finished 2 tries well. Talking about concern for quality on the wing. Lowe, Larmour, Daly, Byrne, Kearney, McFadden,Kelleher, O'Loughlin. Opinions only; but I'm not sure I'd be concerned, and after a team performance like that I'd be saving concern for another day.

User avatar
Serb
Knowledgeable
Posts: 278
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Serb »

desperado wrote:You're very harsh there on Adam Byrne; when we needed a bit of spark in the first half he provided it a few times. Gathered well in the air; didn't die with the ball, made yards. Kelleher finished 2 tries well. Talking about concern for quality on the wing. Lowe, Larmour, Daly, Byrne, Kearney, McFadden,Kelleher, O'Loughlin. Opinions only; but I'm not sure I'd be concerned, and after a team performance like that I'd be saving concern for another day.
Yeah, maybe a bit harsh on A. Byrne, I like him but don’t think he delivers consistently at all, similar to Dave Kearney.

I think we’re just about ok for this season, assuming Lowe and Larmour stay fit, but come next season, Larmour is likely to be a full back, and all the other players mentioned, apart from O’Loughin who’s not a winger, are exactly what I’m complaining about: bang average. Take Larmour out of the list and suddenly it’s looking pretty fallow.

A lot of people questioned why we took Kelleher back from Connacht considering he didn’t exactly shine out west, but I think management is worried about exactly this - a lack of wing talent that’s only getting weaker with players on the cusp of retiring (McFadden) or permanently crocked (Daly).

I think it’s very much up in the air who takes the 14 jersey come this time next year. I really hope it’s someone a lot better than Adam Byrne.

User avatar
curates_egg
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2536
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Benty has hands like tits tonight
Is this a compliment or a criticism? I honestly don’t know: I haven’t yet watched the game.
There are a few ways to interpret it.

Looking forward to seeing the game. What an epic result from a scratch side.

User avatar
ronk
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10542
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by ronk »

curates_egg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Benty has hands like tits tonight
Is this a compliment or a criticism? I honestly don’t know: I haven’t yet watched the game.
There are a few ways to interpret it.

Looking forward to seeing the game. What an epic result from a scratch side.
The comment is in the context of catching a rugby ball.

I wouldn't say it was a scratch side. This is a young squad and the units have been together for a while.

User avatar
ronk
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10542
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by ronk »

Glasgow played well and were dangerous. I like how we adjusted and took away quality possession from them.

Molony and Toner were great in the engine room. Connors is looking like an international. Doris was super.

Ross Byrne could have been man of the match on another day. Some good moments from the back 3 but they lost the kicking duel overall.

tingman
Knowledgeable
Posts: 396
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by tingman »

Serb wrote:
desperado wrote:You're very harsh there on Adam Byrne; when we needed a bit of spark in the first half he provided it a few times. Gathered well in the air; didn't die with the ball, made yards. Kelleher finished 2 tries well. Talking about concern for quality on the wing. Lowe, Larmour, Daly, Byrne, Kearney, McFadden,Kelleher, O'Loughlin. Opinions only; but I'm not sure I'd be concerned, and after a team performance like that I'd be saving concern for another day.
Yeah, maybe a bit harsh on A. Byrne, I like him but don’t think he delivers consistently at all, similar to Dave Kearney.

I think we’re just about ok for this season, assuming Lowe and Larmour stay fit, but come next season, Larmour is likely to be a full back, and all the other players mentioned, apart from O’Loughin who’s not a winger, are exactly what I’m complaining about: bang average. Take Larmour out of the list and suddenly it’s looking pretty fallow.

A lot of people questioned why we took Kelleher back from Connacht considering he didn’t exactly shine out west, but I think management is worried about exactly this - a lack of wing talent that’s only getting weaker with players on the cusp of retiring (McFadden) or permanently crocked (Daly).

I think it’s very much up in the air who takes the 14 jersey come this time next year. I really hope it’s someone a lot better than Adam Byrne.
Im not convinced at wing...its one of the areas (the other at 9) where I feel we are not at top level. Adam B is honest but I think he is more athlete than a real rugby win - I hope im proved wrong.... All of our other wings, bar Lowe, tend to be decidedly agricultural.....oh for a Denis hickie!!!

Keith
Enlightened
Posts: 987
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 9:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Keith »

Serb wrote:
desperado wrote:You're very harsh there on Adam Byrne; when we needed a bit of spark in the first half he provided it a few times. Gathered well in the air; didn't die with the ball, made yards. Kelleher finished 2 tries well. Talking about concern for quality on the wing. Lowe, Larmour, Daly, Byrne, Kearney, McFadden,Kelleher, O'Loughlin. Opinions only; but I'm not sure I'd be concerned, and after a team performance like that I'd be saving concern for another day.
Yeah, maybe a bit harsh on A. Byrne, I like him but don’t think he delivers consistently at all, similar to Dave Kearney.

I think we’re just about ok for this season, assuming Lowe and Larmour stay fit, but come next season, Larmour is likely to be a full back, and all the other players mentioned, apart from O’Loughin who’s not a winger, are exactly what I’m complaining about: bang average. Take Larmour out of the list and suddenly it’s looking pretty fallow.

A lot of people questioned why we took Kelleher back from Connacht considering he didn’t exactly shine out west, but I think management is worried about exactly this - a lack of wing talent that’s only getting weaker with players on the cusp of retiring (McFadden) or permanently crocked (Daly).

I think it’s very much up in the air who takes the 14 jersey come this time next year. I really hope it’s someone a lot better than Adam Byrne.
Hugo Keenan will have something to say about that 15 jersey, I've been so impressed by him everytime I've seen him. To be honest our depth at wing has been fallow for a good few seasons now. I actually think this is the healthiest we've been in that area in quite some time.

joooooe
Knowledgeable
Posts: 433
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by joooooe »

tingman wrote:
Serb wrote:
desperado wrote:You're very harsh there on Adam Byrne; when we needed a bit of spark in the first half he provided it a few times. Gathered well in the air; didn't die with the ball, made yards. Kelleher finished 2 tries well. Talking about concern for quality on the wing. Lowe, Larmour, Daly, Byrne, Kearney, McFadden,Kelleher, O'Loughlin. Opinions only; but I'm not sure I'd be concerned, and after a team performance like that I'd be saving concern for another day.
Yeah, maybe a bit harsh on A. Byrne, I like him but don’t think he delivers consistently at all, similar to Dave Kearney.

I think we’re just about ok for this season, assuming Lowe and Larmour stay fit, but come next season, Larmour is likely to be a full back, and all the other players mentioned, apart from O’Loughin who’s not a winger, are exactly what I’m complaining about: bang average. Take Larmour out of the list and suddenly it’s looking pretty fallow.

A lot of people questioned why we took Kelleher back from Connacht considering he didn’t exactly shine out west, but I think management is worried about exactly this - a lack of wing talent that’s only getting weaker with players on the cusp of retiring (McFadden) or permanently crocked (Daly).

I think it’s very much up in the air who takes the 14 jersey come this time next year. I really hope it’s someone a lot better than Adam Byrne.
Im not convinced at wing...its one of the areas (the other at 9) where I feel we are not at top level. Adam B is honest but I think he is more athlete than a real rugby win - I hope im proved wrong.... All of our other wings, bar Lowe, tend to be decidedly agricultural.....oh for a Denis hickie!!!
We were spoiled for a few years with Hickie and Horgan, Nacewa and Fitzgerald. But thinking back on the squads they played in there was never too much depth. The World Cup was an eye opener in terms of wing play, perhaps only Lowe is anywhere close to Bridge, Reece, Smith, Radradra, Nowell, Huget, Koroibete, Adams, North, Petaia and even Fukuoka.

I'm not suggesting we try to sign these lads btw, just that that's the standard we should be aiming for whether we're signing or developing/coaching.

As for last night, that was one of the best and most enjoyable Leinster victories in a while. 9-0-0 now with two biggies in the next fortnight.

Jonny tight lips
Knowledgeable
Posts: 403
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster 30/11/2019

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Anybody’s else’s recording disappear this morning? I know it was definitely recoding because I started watching it 30 mins behind live, no replays scheduled at all next week either, just the Munster and ulster games several times.

Post Reply