Leinster Team Of The Decade...

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster Team Of The Decade...

Post by wixfjord »

Edit - Jooooe's survey link here to decide it once and for all! https://s.surveyplanet.com/mKIUNaVg

I see the Bel Tel doing something similar for Ulster, so might be a bit of fun!

Some potential rules of engagement (but feel free to ignore!):
- Not about the best players overall, but those who gave the most to Leinster form 2010-2020 (so Fardy might lose out to Dev for eg).
- We talking about Leinster here, none of that Ireland cr@p.
- Utter bias and favouritism is allowed (nay welcomed), but please avoid picking your team based on which secondary school they attended!

My side:
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Dev, Leo, Rhys, SOB, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Isa, Darcy, BOD, Ferg, RK

Honorable mentions to Locky, Strauss, Ross!

Debate away!

*Adding our lord and saviour onto the left wing!
Last edited by wixfjord on December 3rd, 2019, 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster Team Of The Decade...

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:I see the Bel Tel doing something similar for Ulster, so might be a bit of fun!

- Not about the best players overall, but those who gave the most to Leinster form 2010-2020 (so Fardy might lose out to Dev for eg).
- Utter bias and favouritism is allowed (nay welcomed), but please avoid picking your team based on which secondary school they attended!

My side:
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Dev, Leo, Rhys, SOB, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Luke, Darcy, BOD, Ferg, RK

Debate away!

I think you'll want to revisit that :wink:
I have Bumbleflex
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Shocker of a start to this thread... let me just give my backline:
[9 - 15] Isa Nacewa
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:I see the Bel Tel doing something similar for Ulster, so might be a bit of fun!

My side:
Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Dev, Leo, Rhys, SOB, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Luke, Darcy, BOD, Ferg, RK

Debate away!

I'd have Isa instead of Luke at 11 and Jenno instead of Rhys at 6.
MadiganSquareGarden
Learner

Post by MadiganSquareGarden »

Leinster 2010-19

15 Rob Kearney
14 Isa Nacewa
13 Brian O'Driscoll
12 Garry Ringrose
11 James Lowe
10 Jonathan Sexton
9 Eoin Reddan

1 Cian Healy
2 Richardt Strauss
3 Tadhg Furlong
4 Devin Toner
5 James Ryan
6 Sean O’Brien
7 Dan Leavy
8 Jamie Heaslip

16 Sean Cronin
17 Jack McGrath
18 Mike Ross
19 Leo Cullen
20 Rhys Ruddock
21 Luke McGrath
22 Joey Carbery
23 Luke Fitzgerald
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:

My side:

Debate away!

I think you'll want to revisit that :wink:
Isa criost! I knew I'd forgotten someone!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

My team of players not picked in an XV so far (most of whom were central to Heineken cup winning teams within the past decade):

15 Larmour, 14 Shaggy, 13 Henshaw, 12 Madigan, 11 Luke, 10 Byrne (Carbery on a bench), 9 Boss, 8 Conan, 7 Jennings (VdF h/m), 6 McLaughlin, 5 Hines, 4 Thorn, 3 Ross (Wright if you include Ross on a bench), 2 weak link, 1 McGrath (Heinke if you include McGrath on a bench)
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Going purely on ability at whatever their peak year was in 2010s with Leinster (sorry Dev):...

1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Furlong

4.Hines 5.Ja.Ryan

6.Ruddock 8.Heaslip 7.SOB

9.Reddan 10.Sexton 12.D'Arcy 13.O'Driscoll 14.Horgan

11.Nacewa 15.R.Kearney

16.S.Cronin 17.J.McGrath 18.Ross 19.Thorn 20.Conan/McLaughlin 21.Boss 22.Madigan 23.Fitzgerald
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Leo, Hines, SO'B, Jenno, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Isa, D'Arcy, BO'D, Horgan, Rob K.

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Dev, Fardy, Boss, Madigan, Luke Fitz

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Statisitically in terms of appearances and then trophies for the 2010-2020 period I'd imagine something like

Healy 168(211-29-13-1) 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
Cronin 177 2HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14

Ross 152 3HEC, 1ACC, 2P14 Retired 2017
Dev 206(239-2-4-6-21) 3HEc, 1ACC, 4P14
Cullen 106(18+27+18+23+20) 2 HEC, 1ACC, 2P14 Retired 2014
Ruddock 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
SOB 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14 Soon to retire if rumours are to be believed
Heaslip Retired 2017 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
Reddan Retired 2016 2HEC, 1 ACC, 2P14

Sexton 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
Nasewa Retired 2018 3HEC, 1 ACC, 3P14
D'arcy Retired 2015 2HEC, 1 ACC, 2P14

Ringrose 1HEC, 2P14
McFadden 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
R. Kearney 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14

I got tired of copying it all down and the site stopped working for me for retired players. It's a good team, you could make a better team I'm sure but those are the lads with the body of work. Massively favours guys who bridged from the early to the late part of the decade. There's kind of three teams (peak- trough- peak to keep it simple). Ringrose is the only one of newer crop to make the cut and I suppose that's debatable. But he played more games in the decade than BOD and his contribution in helping us turn the corner post mocaplypse. My earliest memory of him starting was against a Welsh team on the wing and poleaxing some one in the tackle and after that you were kind of watching everything he did. We'd had the best of BOD by the time he hobbled off early doors in Pro14 final.

Ross over Furlong because we got so much out of him. He weathered the changing of the engagement laws when others withered and his scrummaging became what we expect from THPs. Furlong is clearly a much better all rounder but he doesn't need to be palyed into fitness :lol:

Healy's had quite the journey over the 10 years to nearly retiring and coming back to win all in 2018. Similar to SOB in some respects in that his middle years were so blighted by injury they were kind of forgettable. He was massive in the 2018 HEC win though with his performance in Exeter setting us up for the home run to the final.

Looking at that team, it seems we quite possibly are heading for another trough with the bolded soon to retire(maybe for the best). There's guys there to replace them but most don't have the body of work their predecessors do.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Not gonna lie: I was wondering why people were stuck on three European Cups!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:Statisitically in terms of appearances and then trophies for the 2010-2020 period I'd imagine something like

Healy 168(211-29-13-1) 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
Cronin 177 2HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14

Ross 152 3HEC, 1ACC, 2P14 Retired 2017
Dev 206(239-2-4-6-21) 3HEc, 1ACC, 4P14
Cullen 106(18+27+18+23+20) 2 HEC, 1ACC, 2P14 Retired 2014
Ruddock 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
SOB 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14 Soon to retire if rumours are to be believed
Heaslip Retired 2017 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
Reddan Retired 2016 2HEC, 1 ACC, 2P14

Sexton 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
Nasewa Retired 2018 3HEC, 1 ACC, 3P14
D'arcy Retired 2015 2HEC, 1 ACC, 2P14

Ringrose 1HEC, 2P14
McFadden 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14
R. Kearney 3HEC, 1 ACC, 4P14

It's a good team, you could make a better team I'm sure but those are the lads with the body of work. Massively favours guys who bridged from the early to the late part of the decade. There's kind of three teams (peak- trough- peak to keep it simple).
Looking at that team, it seems we quite possibly are heading for another trough with the bolded soon to retire(maybe for the best). There's guys there to replace them but most don't have the body of work their predecessors do.
Like the logic of your selection and the underlying rationale. However, somewhat disagree with the last sentence. Many of those in your selection had little or no back catalogue by the time it became evident that they would be strong contenders in any all-time ranking.

One of the key factors now is how proficent the guys in, and coming out of, the Academy are from the start. They have had a better grounding at National under-age and in the Academy and have largely trained with the senior players from age 19 or 20. Couple that with time in the Sub-Academy and we're almost getting 'fully formed' pros from the Academy.

When you look at Kelleher, Baird, Connors, Doris, Frawley, the O'Briens etc. the line is fairly extraordinary and we appear to be losing fewer of the really talented players to injury during their development.

So, lots of confidence that if there is to be a trough, it will be short-lived, or bridged by some of the experienced guys hanging tough for at extra year or two - Ferg, J10, Dev, RK etc.

Ryan and Ringrose are already in my 'all-time list'. Only RK, BO'D, SO'B & Jamie were in that list by age 23, the others in it joined by dint of their consistent brilliance. It's a high bar but that's my bias. However, the parameters for inclusion in this selection are clearly set out and your selection fits the bill well.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote:Not gonna lie: I was wondering why people were stuck on three European Cups!
I'm guessing that 2009 was toI long ago.

And how does BOD not make the team of the decade?

Most of the positions are fairly locked down because of the length of time someone was dominant.

There's a Furlong-Ross debate, a Ryan/Hines v Cullen (has to be Leo), Jennings-Ruddock (tough), D'Arcy-Ringrose (maybe) and Fitzgerald-McFadden (I'm leaning Luke)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

To meet the "Not the best, but did the most for Leinster" criteria as set out in the OP, here is my list of non negotiables:
Healy,
Leo,
Ruddock,
Jenno,
Heaslip,
Reddan,
Sexton,
D'Arce
BO'D
Ferg
Isa
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

ronk wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Not gonna lie: I was wondering why people were stuck on three European Cups!
I'm guessing that 2009 was toI long ago.

And how does BOD not make the team of the decade?

Most of the positions are fairly locked down because of the length of time someone was dominant.

There's a Furlong-Ross debate, a Ryan/Hines v Cullen (has to be Leo), Jennings-Ruddock (tough), D'Arcy-Ringrose (maybe) and Fitzgerald-McFadden (I'm leaning Luke)
Stan Wright left in 2011 so possibly not around long enough in this decade or the previous one to warrant inclusion, but I'm adding him to the conversation anyway. (He also scored 9 points for the Cook Islands according to Wikipedia, which is intriguing; a try and 2 conversions? A hat trick of drop goals?).

Another who bridged into this decade worthy of mention is Shane Horgan.

Finally, and it would probably require another thread, but with Stan still in mind,a Leinster team of unsung heroes would be good fun. Noel Reid and Michael Bent.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Coach: Schmidt or Cullen/Lancaster?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

joooooe wrote:Coach: Schmidt or Cullen/Lancaster?
Has to be "joooooe" :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Brad Thorn is a problem.

He was brilliant for us and a brilliant player all round, but when someone is here for such a short time can you include them? If the question is "Best Leinster players of the last 10 years" then yes. If it's "Best players for Leinster of the past 10 years" then no.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Twist wrote:Brad Thorn is a problem.

He was brilliant for us and a brilliant player all round, but when someone is here for such a short time can you include them? If the question is "Best Leinster players of the last 10 years" then yes. If it's "Best players for Leinster of the past 10 years" then no.
Like Robbie Keane: by any reasoned analysis he is Ireland's greatest player but he is by no means the best player to have played for Ireland.

When the powers that be picked a "best ever" team for the 20th anniversary of the Heineken Cup it included Rocky Elsom, who had only played one season in the competition. It jarred a bit with most people but particularly those based in the greater Limerick region, so that made it a fine pick for me.

Still, I would lean towards a "no" for Thorn and a "maybe" for Hines and an "absolutely" for Leo (Cullen, not Lion).
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Oldschool wrote:
joooooe wrote:Coach: Schmidt or Cullen/Lancaster?
Has to be "joooooe" :wink:
Matt O'Connor is sitting in an internet cafe in an outlying suburb of Melbourne, madly refreshing this thread and saying "ah shucks, come on Guys!"