Leinster v Connacht Sat 5.30

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Connacht Sat 5.30

Post by wixfjord »

Last interpro of the festive season. I assume we'll have most of the RWC guys back for this who didn't play in the first game?
(And not have Robbie, RK, Porter, Healy, JVDF as they did play the first one?)

So something like:
Dooley, Cronin, Furlong, Molony, Ryan, Rhys, Connors, Deegan, McGrath, Frawley, Kelleher, COB, Ringrose, DK, Larmour
Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Baird, Penny, JGP, R. Byrne, JOB/Ferg

Would like to see Kelleher get a run as I think he's in good form and will be up for Conn.

We probably don't need to start Ross and should give Frawley game time.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Connacht Sat 5.30

Post by leinsterforever »

I'd say Penny might start at openside. Connors has played two in a row and if they want to keep the option of selecting him for Europe open it might be better if he takes this one off. So Penny starting and Murphy benching, for me.

TOB might be an option on the left wing, but probably more likely to be Kelleher there.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tommy O'Brien on the left wing? Does he play much there?

Not sure why you'd stick him out there with Kelleher and plenty of other wingers available.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote:Tommy O'Brien on the left wing? Does he play much there?

Not sure why you'd stick him out there with Kelleher and plenty of other wingers available.
He started seven games on the left wing (plus one on the right) for Leinster A in the B&I Cup in 2017/18. As you say, though, we have better options there. Started five games at 12 in the Celtic Cup this season so they could try him there alongside Ringrose. Pretty sure that Aki will be rested for this one as he started against Munster last weekend.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Last interpro of the festive season. I assume we'll have most of the RWC guys back for this who didn't play in the first game?
(And not have Robbie, RK, Porter, Healy, JVDF as they did play the first one?)

So something like:
Dooley, Cronin, Furlong, Molony, Ryan, Rhys, Connors, Deegan, McGrath, Frawley, Kelleher, COB, Ringrose, DK, Larmour
Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Baird, Penny, JGP, R. Byrne, JOB/Ferg

Would like to see Kelleher get a run as I think he's in good form and will be up for Conn.

We probably don't need to start Ross and should give Frawley game time.
Like the team. Would give Connors a break as he has had back-to-back starts and Scott Penny only had 4mins against Munster.

I was very impressed with Ed Byrne's effort against Munster yesterday, after being impressed with Dooley against Ulster. The two back-up looseheads are pushing each other hard and posing a tough question for LC and SL.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote:

He started seven games on the left wing (plus one on the right) for Leinster A in the B&I Cup in 2017/18. As you say, though, we have better options there. Started five games at 12 in the Celtic Cup this season so they could try him there alongside Ringrose. Pretty sure that Aki will be rested for this one as he started against Munster last weekend.
Has he? Didn't know that i thought he was a 14!

Still I think Kelleher deserves a shot in a more full strength team (and against his former team!).
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

From watching him play Ireland U20s games I certainly think of him as someone who can play all across the three-quarter line. And, maybe a bit like Frawley, gametime is probably more important for him at this stage than settling on a single position. He looked pretty fast against Ulster anyway.

But, as I say, Kelleher is possibly more likely to get the nod. He's been delivering when he's got opportunities.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Sounds like Big Joe back for this one, shame ROL out for 12 weeks (plenty of opportunities for all the OCs) and turns out Bent was injured not just on a 7 day hangover. Bit disappointed to have no update on RK as was Hoping he would be close to being back. Would it be too much to ask for a new debutant this week .... maybe a hooker?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Sounds like Big Joe back for this one, shame ROL out for 12 weeks (plenty of opportunities for all the OCs) and turns out Bent was injured not just on a 7 day hangover. Bit disappointed to have no update on RK as was Hoping he would be close to being back. Would it be too much to ask for a new debutant this week .... maybe a hooker?
It's gonna be very tight to pull together a competitive team for our South African tour after the next three games. We won't have anyone from the Ireland squad, so every other player is critical.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

CiaranIrl wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:Sounds like Big Joe back for this one, shame ROL out for 12 weeks (plenty of opportunities for all the OCs) and turns out Bent was injured not just on a 7 day hangover. Bit disappointed to have no update on RK as was Hoping he would be close to being back. Would it be too much to ask for a new debutant this week .... maybe a hooker?
It's gonna be very tight to pull together a competitive team for our South African tour after the next three games. We won't have anyone from the Ireland squad, so every other player is critical.
The 6N ends the week before the tour so you would imagine we could bring all but the starters of the last game.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Leinster Rugby v Connacht Rugby – KO 17.30
RDS Arena, Dublin
Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU, 41st Championship appearance)
AR1: George Clancy (IRFU) AR2: Keith Allen (SRU)
TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Clancy will be sick of the site of us .... it’s mutual.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote:
I think you might be right re: Sheehan. He's been in sensational form over the first half of the season and it has been Leo's policy to give players their debuts in the RDS. James Tracy has once again been operating really diligently without drawing too much attention to himself - he has played in 12 of our 13 games thus far. He has nothing to prove, and there's nothing really for Leo to learn from sending him out again. He knows that he's playing well, he knows that he's fit, competitive and capable.

It seems obvious to me that Bryan Byrne is hanging on at this stage. He's a model pro and has done nothing wrong, but that doesn't mean that LC is obliged to pick him, or that his presence in the squad should impact on the progression of somebody else's career. He hasn't got the raw materials to compare with Sheehan, who looks to have a really high ceiling given his mixture of height, strength, pace, size and rugby intelligence.

With regards to the South African tour, I think we're going to be alright. We've got them directly after the Six Nations, Cheetahs first and then Kings. The Kings are tragic and the game is in Port Elizabeth. All teams are better at home, but it's not like they have that big home advantage of altitude, or the second advantage of a boisterous crowd; the game is at sea level, and nobody goes to watch them. So we'll have a tough game against the Cheetahs up front and beyond that, I'm not stressed by it.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Something like this:

1. Dooley
2. Cronin
3. Furlong
4. Molony
5. Ryan
6. Ruddock
7. Penny
8. Deegan
9. McGrath
10. Frawley
11. Kelleher
12. Tomane
13. Ringrose
14. Byrne
15. Larmour
16. Sheehan
17. Byrne
18. Aungier
19. Baird
20. Doris
21. JGP
22. Byrne
23. JOB
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Anyone know how to submit a photo on this?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Pilotman123 wrote:Anyone know how to submit a photo on this?
Yep. In the comments box there should be "more options" if you hit this you should see a list of ways to edit comments.

If you press "post less tripe and waste everyone's time" the photo submitter should come right up ;)
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Wouldn't mind seeing Frawley getting a start here - has looked 'interesting' in his recent cameos !!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I feel sorry for Frawley, he's done nothing wrong and generally looks good but seems to pick up injuries at terrible times and has serious competition for what appears to be his main position. Maybe he'll see more time at 12 given that ROL is out for a while and COB doesn't seem to be flavour of the month right now. He's the perfect bench player so I thought he'd see more game time recently but it's a tricky one.

We might see more of him at fullback when Rob retires too. I'm not saying they're similar players as such but I think he might go on to be the kind of player we hoped Mads would be.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I feel sorry for Frawley, he's done nothing wrong and generally looks good but seems to pick up injuries at terrible times and has serious competition for what appears to be his main position. Maybe he'll see more time at 12 given that ROL is out for a while and COB doesn't seem to be flavour of the month right now. He's the perfect bench player so I thought he'd see more game time recently but it's a tricky one.

We might see more of him at fullback when Rob retires too. I'm not saying they're similar players as such but I think he might go on to be the kind of player we hoped Mads would be.
Agree fully.

He has looked really solid & exciting in recent appearances, big unit too - if COB is out of flavour perhaps very worth looking at developing Frawley at 12.

I think Harry Byrne is gonna make a serious 10 so we are well covered there with Sexton, Ross and Harry and when Tomane leaves (presume this season is his last one) having Frawley and perhaps COB pushing for Henshaw's spot would make sense.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Something like this:

1. Dooley
2. Cronin
3. Furlong
4. Molony
5. Ryan
6. Ruddock
7. Penny