Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by Oldschool »

Munster's game against Racing was like a throw back to bad old days of the Ireland international teams playing against the French.
Munster gave it everything for 60 minutes and then ran out of steam as Racing blew them away in the last 20.
In addition Munster didn't help themselves with those two passes out the back to nowhere.
The moral of that story is twofold.
When you are in front or the game is tight cut out the fancy stuff, particularly if there is no supporting evidence that you have that ability.
Secondly a man has got to know his limitations.
It's also noteworthy that the French teams fitness levels have improved since last season.
The notion that if you stick with them for the first 65 then they will run out of steam doesn't seem to apply anymore.
Ireland's game in Paris could be a tough one.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Teddy's try was fine, it's just the standard reaction down at Shelbyville to try and blame someone or something other than their players. We can be guilty of it at times I seem to remember, its been a while. ;)
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:Looking at the Racing 4th try. Lovely slow-mo of Imhoff crossing the line from a camera in the very corner were Thomas had scored a few mins earlier. Why did they not show us that angle for Teddy's try?
I'd hate to think that any shennanigans were going on with hometown TV directors.

Because it wasn't pointing at it, it was pointing at where the kick came from. In the replay you can see the camera man swinging his camera around to try to get there, but when the ball is touched down, he hasn't quite managed it

I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Wow! Well spotted.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Post match comments:
POM
“This group has always had huge belief and you talk financially but we always have something different in that we have a huge group of players who have come from the province and who have come through our academy system,” said captain Peter O’Mahony yesterday.
“It always has made a difference and we’ve always complemented that by signing some excellent players from overseas and we have that mix now, and that’s always a dangerous mix, the guys who we have here and signing well, which we have done.”
“That’s what makes our club special, what I’ve just said… They didn’t all come from Racing. It’s a different dynamic
That's just plain oul mis-information at this stage.

Van gram.
I am never a man to make excuses but unfortunately one or two guys are injured at this stage
:lol:

Munster are 19th in tries scored in the group phase so far with 8 in 5 games.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I saw POM's post-match comments, and my first thought was that he's ignoring the players they've poached from other provinces. Or maybe he doesn't think they've complemented the team.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

POM has hit the nail on the head TBF to him.
Quantity isn't Munster's problem, they've a "huge group" of players, but quality is and that's implicit in what he is saying.
Obviously he's not going to come right out with it but he's basically implying that while the academy is producing enough players they are not of the right quality.
That's pointing the finger at the coaching system and a lack of willingness to blood them and give them the experience that they need.
It's worth bearing in mind that Joe Schmidt and Stuart are both exceptional coaches and we're lucky to have them. We might not be so smug if we hadn't been so "lucky" to have recruited them.
Part of me feels sorry for the likes of POM who gives it everything even though he knows better than we do that Munster have been let down by management.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote: Part of me feels sorry for the likes of POM who gives it everything
Does he though? Highlight reels and angry face aside, the stats don't lie.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Part of me feels sorry for the likes of POM who gives it everything
Ah here now you don't want to let a few stats get in the way of a good narrative.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

FLIP wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamLStandsUp ... 6409125888
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Ah here now you don't want to let a few stats get in the way of a good narrative.
Did you check the stats or are you guessing?

10 tackles and 10 carries is nothing special, but it's hardly damning.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: Did you check the stats or are you guessing?

10 tackles and 10 carries is nothing special, but it's hardly damning.
Of course I didn't.
I've stated many times that stats are meaningless unless you know how to interpret them.
People who truly understand stats are rare and extremely well paid as a result. I don't and never have claimed to be one of those people.
My regard for POM is also well documented.
He didn't make my 23 for the forthcoming 6Ns game against Scotland.
For what it's worth he didn't make my RWC squad either.
In conclusion perhaps we need a "crocodile tears" smiley.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

dropkick wrote:
FLIP wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamLStandsUp ... 6409125888
Yeah, I’ve seen that graphic what does it mean - what is being measured ?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sam Larner
@SamLStandsUp
·
Jan 9
Not quite. Defence includes tackles, turnovers, lineout steals, and removes points for missed tackles. SOme are weighted.
Attack is metres made, tries, try assists, passes, offloads etc again some are weighted.

What's being measures is Sam's biases. That's all, he's multiplied his biases by a bumch of player stats.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:
Said this before but POM's main issue is one of stamina.
He doesn't IMHO have the kind of work horse stamina that your typical 6 has.
He's like Rocky, good at the big play but not able to do the unseen work for 80 minutes that a CJ or Ruddock gives you.
So on that basis he gives what he's able to.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Strength in depth did for us imo, we didn't have good enough replacements. Still though, if that game had been in Limerick we'd have won. No criticism of wayne Barnes implied there but even the best referees cant help but give the home team the benefit of the doubt more often than not. Happy to give this coaching team a couple of more years. Enjoy the schadenfreude while it lasts
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

tomthefan wrote: Still though, if that game had been in Limerick we'd have won.

That game was in Limerick in November and you didn’t win. The results in the fortress are why you are almost out.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

OTT wrote:
tomthefan wrote: Still though, if that game had been in Limerick we'd have won.

That game was in Limerick in November and you didn’t win. The results in the fortress are why you are almost out.
Nov was affected by their RWC hangover. Sure evenone had one, they got it wrong and they had less margin for error than most.

I still have some questions about van Graan aside from that. They had a good chance as long as the game was tight.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Munster rumoured to be interested in signing (Irish qualified) Gallagher from Saracens. They don't need a fullback though so this would mean shunted development for Daly or another up and comer.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

fourthirtythree wrote:Sam Larner
@SamLStandsUp
·
Jan 9
Not quite. Defence includes tackles, turnovers, lineout steals, and removes points for missed tackles. SOme are weighted.
Attack is metres made, tries, try assists, passes, offloads etc again some are weighted.

What's being measures is Sam's biases. That's all, he's multiplied his biases by a bumch of player stats.
Exactly, as soon as you add some mysterious weighting then those stats become opinion.

JvDF made more carries, more meters, more clean breaks and beat more defenders over the course of the tournament than POM (not even accounting for the fact that VdF didn't feature vs. Russia where as POM played in all with one sub appearance) yet POM lands higher on the attack "score"... Similarly in defence he made more tackles, misses fewer tackles, conceded fewer penalties...