Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'd expect to get at least one of Charlie Ryan or Jack Dunne into our 2nd Row stock next year and consequently move Josh Murphy in the backrow allocation. Not a game changer for Murphy but very significant for either Ryan or Dunne.

There's 45 listed in that group and it's possibly our strongest ever in depth and could probably extent to 48 / 50 with either, or both of the above being joined by such as David Hawkshaw, Dan Sheehan, Tom Clarkson all of whom are good quality candidates. Roman Solanao and Michael Milne are also prospective additions, in particularly the latter as LHP is not our strongest position.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Given Dunne/Ryan are injured at the moment i didn't want to push them up.

The academy players you've listed I think could get bumped post preseason but not announced as senior players at the end of the season. If you follow what I mean.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:Given Dunne/Ryan are injured at the moment i didn't want to push them up.

The academy players you've listed I think could get bumped post preseason but not announced as senior players at the end of the season. If you follow what I mean.
Totally understand your rationale.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

One of the most realistic player interviews for a while from The42. Cian's words and outlook really reflect the day to day outlook in a Leinster training week.

https://www.the42.ie/cian-healy-competi ... 6-Jan2020/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Is there talk of Bent retiring?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Do we know what's up with Dunne? I can't actually remember when he last played, hope it's not related (medically, not with regard to discipline) to the incident with Stan.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

He was in good form for Leinster A, not sure he got to play for Trinity this season
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Cheers.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Surly Josh is 6 playing second row as opposed to the other way around? Hopefully we get some promising loosheads into the academy next year as it’s the only spot we’re looking thin. I’d love to see Mullen givin a chance towards the end of the year to earn a contract after his heroics for the As. Dan might need a senior contract to prevent others sniffing around kind like Doris before him.

Do we expect O Sullivan or Silvester to come good, they’re doing sevens at the moment?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Josh Murphy is listed as a back row on the Leinster academy website. I know that’s not always correct but it might point to how we’re thinking about him — a backrower that can play lock, not that other way around.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Do we know what's up with Dunne? I can't actually remember when he last played, hope it's not related (medically, not with regard to discipline) to the incident with Stan.
He made four starts in the Celtic Cup including the Final this season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jonny tight lips wrote:Surly Josh is 6 playing second row as opposed to the other way around? Hopefully we get some promising loosheads into the academy next year as it’s the only spot we’re looking thin. I’d love to see Mullen givin a chance towards the end of the year to earn a contract after his heroics for the As. Dan might need a senior contract to prevent others sniffing around kind like Doris before him.

Do we expect O Sullivan or Silvester to come good, they’re doing sevens at the moment?
Well both 1st and 2nd choice LH props for the 20s this season are from Leinster, plus two very good looseheads 6th year playing schools rugby.

Plus someone like Clarkson could move over if they want to fast-track him. Still I'm confident Dooley can reach potential he displayed as a u20 over next 5 years.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Do we know what's up with Dunne? I can't actually remember when he last played, hope it's not related (medically, not with regard to discipline) to the incident with Stan.
He made four starts in the Celtic Cup including the Final this season.
Thanks, vaguely remembered one or two but not that many.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Should we not be targeting someone like Aaron Sexton?

DK is over 30, Lowe will be missing with the Ireland team one would persume, ditto Larmour. Kinda thin on wingers.
This lad could be special, developing down here could be whats best for everyone as they like to say.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

blockhead wrote:Should we not be targeting someone like Aaron Sexton?

DK is over 30, Lowe will be missing with the Ireland team one would persume, ditto Larmour. Kinda thin on wingers.
This lad could be special, developing down here could be whats best for everyone as they like to say.
We already have Andrew Smith
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pilotman123 wrote:
blockhead wrote:Should we not be targeting someone like Aaron Sexton?

We already have Andrew Smith
Y'know, Bangor Grammar is considered the Michaels of the north.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Ruaidhri O'Connor was on The Left Wing podcast this week and said that the 7's, 8's and 10's at Leinster are under pressure to move provinces.

Suppose that means Frawley/H Byrne, Doris/Deegan and Connors/Penny are the players being targeted by other provinces.

I fear this will become an annual occurrence from now on.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

With Deegan, Doris, VDF and Connors (dev) in the 6N squad our backrow will be tested for depth!

Lots of cover at 6 in Rhys and Josh, but would be good to get Jack Conan back to slot in at 8. Wonder how likely is that?

Is Watters still with the squad?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Our first choice side without the 6N guys could be something like

Dooley, Cronin/Tracy, Bent/Aungier, Molony, Fardy, Murphy, Penny, Rhys, JGP, Frawley, Lowe, Tomane, JOB, Ferg, RK

Still a fair bit of experience in there!

Backrow is a bit unbalanced, but we may get one of Deegan/Doris back to play 8, and potentially Connors too.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Wouldn’t be surprised if we got a backrow from the AIL during 6 nations