Treviso v Leinster - Sat 18/1; 1pm your time

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Treviso v Leinster - Sat 18/1; 1pm your time

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Credit to Bennetton they're an incredibly determined team and play very effective.

Don't quite have the European credentials. But excited to see what this team can do in the coming years
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Very disappointed in the discipline today.
Ryan with two incredibly stupid Penalties, Porter continues when referee is shouting at him to leave the ball, too many penalties when they weren’t justified.

Will admit referee was awful, I saw two occasions where their 7, actually dived over a ruck to stop us getting near the ball, but referee and his assistants totally missed it
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
riocard911 wrote:I reckon that's the "Leinster could arrive in the knock out stages without having been properly tested" put to bed..... #silverlining.....
Nah, that's not the narrative. It's usually one of 3:

1. We win - the opposition where shite
2. We win by a small margin - both us and the opposition where shite
3. We lose - we were shite

:wink:
It's the lack of relegation.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

bails wrote:Very disappointed in the discipline today.
Ryan with two incredibly stupid Penalties, Porter continues when referee is shouting at him to leave the ball, too many penalties when they weren’t justified.

Will admit referee was awful, I saw two occasions where their 7, actually dived over a ruck to stop us getting near the ball, but referee and his assistants totally missed it
TBF to Porter, the ref was shouting "tackler away" and Healy was the tackler so he may have thought he was ok.
Dont Panic!
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Dexter wrote:

TBF to Porter, the ref was shouting "tackler away" and Healy was the tackler so he may have thought he was ok.
Call was correct - he was ‘tackle assist ‘ so treated same as tackler as such
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

alanair wrote:
Dexter wrote:

Call was correct - he was ‘tackle assist ‘ so treated same as tackler as such
Very generous to call him tackler assist. Porter is going to that breakdown with the intent of a poach.

Different day and different ref that's given as Healy had that tackle well and truly complete.

Still need to be careful with involvements like that in the red zone. Having said that Cronins turnover could have easily gone the other way
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

The Ryan in from the side of the maul was border line. the one of tackling the scrum half was very unlucky. He had timed it perfectly except the scrum half made a mess of collecting it. I love how he tries to make things happen with big plays all the time. Needs to learn that the sharpness isn't fully there when returning from injury.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ribs wrote:

The Ryan in from the side of the maul was border line. the one of tackling the scrum half was very unlucky. He had timed it perfectly except the scrum half made a mess of collecting it. I love how he tries to make things happen with big plays all the time. Needs to learn that the sharpness isn't fully there when returning from injury.
Yeah, he was my MOTM. Always impresses- but today particularly for a first match back, even given the penalties I though he was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Lots of people have name checked Luke, Ryan and Doris, who had great games.

I thought Dave Kearney had another excellent performance. On one of the defensive sequences in the second half, he put in two great tackles in succession that drove them back ten yards. His draw and pass back in to Henshaw, off THAT Ringrose pass, was very clever too. A similar logic to Lowe’s assist last week but much more technical.
He’s in some form, but that back three for Ireland is very competitive.

Worst I have seen Byrne play. He’s usually so reliable. Distracted by the 6 nations?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Club record 16th win in a row I hear.
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Or 18th if you count from our last loss.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Very noticeable that the hard work and effort was mentioned in every post match interview (Maloney, Dave and Leo) and discipline and lack of omitted.

I'd say they're satisfied in general but the video review will be a pretty tasty affair.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Lots of little things for the video review....but what a professional performance in poor conditions, looked totally in control for the entire game despite the nonsense the commentators on BT spent the entire game spouting.....

Doris looks like a seasoned pro, he is a real find. Luke exceptional and despite the two silly penalties at the end thought Ryan was great too, endless carries. Ruddock very good when he came on, how Farrell has Angry Face in the squad ahead of him is beyond me anyway. I really wonder sometimes....

Not worried about getting Sarries in the quarters if that comes to pass, in fact not worried about anyone. If we can keep.at this level it's gonna take some truly extraordinary team or set of circumstances to beat us.....Allez
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:Or 18th if you count from our last loss.
True, but is that a record?
16 wins in a row from start of season seems to be.

Our run began with a hosing of the Dothraki in the RDS

Come to think of it, Dothraki is too cool, more like Frey
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote:

Up until now our best ‘winning’ run was 15 - however these were all in the 01/02 season.
Our best ‘unbeaten’ run is 20 (18 wins and 2 draws) in the 11/12 season

So yes, the 16 is a new record but 18 is ‘technically’ not!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

If those on the verge of Ireland selection, Ross had a poor (he’s due one) match.
Rhys showed his great value and POM had better have a stormer today, if he’s to quieten the grumblings.
Doris got better as the match went on- while
Max was a bit off- maybe the “not big enough” thing has merit here.
Luke played very well overall- his breaks were the highlight of the first half- his passing was okay, fast- but not as consistently accurate as last week. Tackling very good. Overall Cooney would still be ahead of him- if not Murray.
Dave was excellent again- great inside pass for that second try. Showed why he’s selected fir the squad.
Cronin demonstrated the good and bad of his game: throwing a bit wonky, carrying very good. Farrell would not doubt his decision on that evidence.
Rob did nothing in his cameo to change minds.

Overall- not terminal or defining for anyone, but Deegan will probably be slightly disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Xanthippe wrote:
blockhead wrote:

Up until now our best ‘winning’ run was 15 - however these were all in the 01/02 season.
Our best ‘unbeaten’ run is 20 (18 wins and 2 draws) in the 11/12 season

So yes, the 16 is a new record but 18 is ‘technically’ not!
What am i missing? There are no draws in the 18. Semi and final of the pro 14. Both of which we won.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd love to know how many tackles Luke has made, lots of them have been big hits as well.
He's done the opposite of Ross, Luke is having one of his best games of the season the week he gets into the Irish squad
McGrath's passing throughout the the game was poor AGAIN.
Given the conditions that kind of service is going to put your ball receiver under pressure.
Byrne is a tall OH and even at that the ball was coming at head height to him.
McGrath's box kicking was way too short.
He probably just about deserved his MOM but mainly because of his defensive excellence and the breaking.
Unless and until McGrath sorts out his passing he shouldn't be getting byes from anyone.
Passing properly is his primary duty and it's the poorest facet of his game. His box kicking also leaves a lot to be desired.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd love to know how many tackles Luke has made, lots of them have been big hits as well.
He's done the opposite of Ross, Luke is having one of his best games of the season the week he gets into the Irish squad
McGrath's passing throughout the the game was poor AGAIN.
Given the conditions that kind of service is going to put your ball receiver under pressure.
Byrne is a tall OH and even at that the ball was coming at head height to him.
McGrath's box kicking was way too short.
He probably just about deserved his MOM but mainly because of his defensive excellence and the breaking.
Unless and until McGrath sorts out his passing he shouldn't be getting byes from anyone.
Passing properly is his primary duty and it's the poorest facet of his game. His box kicking also leaves a lot to be desired.
Thought his box kicking was great tbh. Great hang time and distance, not retaining/retrieving some of them was disappointing but nearly all of them provided good gains and put pressure on Benetton to retain possession.
His breaks around the ruck were very well taken too, only space for a mouse to pass through the way he did.
But yeah his passing was a bit erratic at times. Although most on the team were guilty of that. Disagree that passing is his primary function though, it's one of the methods available to him to fulfill his primary function.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

One thing that I've noticed about our attack from deep this season is the inside angles Ringrose and Henshaw are taking off each other.

Instead of going wide we're regularly seeing both pick a sharp line back into traffic off a pop pass. I assume it's designed to keep inside forward defenders honest.

We did it at least twice yesterday and a good few times last week - one of which lead to a big Henshaw break.

Ringer is particularly good at this step inside (a bit like his try in 2017 against Clermont). He seems to be able to bounce off players in traffic.