Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by Pilotman123 »

ronk wrote:
Twist wrote:Yeah Fardy looks like he has at least a year left at this level, but it’s no reason not to strengthen the squad if the opportunity is there
Would Skelton be ahead of Ryan, Toner or Fardy. I am not sure.

A big signing should be a big improvement.
Obviously he won’t be ahead of Ryan, Ryan is second best lock in Europe behind Maro Itoje (could argue he’s better). JR has a much better work rate than Skelton...Skelton isn’t even that good he’s just big...yeah he’s good but he’s not world class, there’s much better 2nd Rows than Will Skelton, some people here seem to think size is everything which it is not
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
wixfjord wrote:With Saracens squad potentially breaking up, is there anyone that we could/would take?

Can't see any of the English lads moving over, but I would take a look at Will Skelton if Mr Fardy doesn't get another extension. Not sure the IRFU would be happy with that albeit, given the talent we have coming through at second row.
Heard over the weekend that Fardy contract for next Season has been approved and signed off by both parties. A nice piece of business, quietly done. Well done to Mrss Cullen, Easterby & Dawson.
Presumably at the expense of some young talent moving elsewhere.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Larmour 'left Treviso in a protective boot'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 75776.html
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
wixfjord wrote:With Saracens squad potentially breaking up, is there anyone that we could/would take?

Can't see any of the English lads moving over, but I would take a look at Will Skelton if Mr Fardy doesn't get another extension. Not sure the IRFU would be happy with that albeit, given the talent we have coming through at second row.
Heard over the weekend that Fardy contract for next Season has been approved and signed off by both parties. A nice piece of business, quietly done. Well done to Mrss Cullen, Easterby & Dawson.
A one year contract, so it's unlikely any of the young locks will lose out.
It's also an indication that Toner will be part of Farrell's plans for next season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:Larmour 'left Treviso in a protective boot'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 75776.html
RK is a more than adequate replacement if required.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

And that's it in a nutshell. We'll have to give up someone to keep Fardy. But at least these days we have leverage.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
gangseo

Post by gangseo »

From Saracens, I'd take either Ben Spencer.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

gangseo wrote:From Saracens, I'd take either Ben Spencer.
Do Saracens have two Ben Spencers?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Obviously it goes without saying that Fardy's a real asset, but I'd hate to lose Baird permanently or something just for one extra year out of Fardy. It's an exceptionally fine line to tread if you've got the Union looking to move on any promising Leinster players. Ryan, Toner, Molony, Baird, Dunne, Dowling, Charlie Ryan, Deeny would be a pretty good corps of locks.

Did I read somewhere Ruddock was roumoured to be leaving? Could be something to do with that and Fardy's gonna be playing more blindside?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

leinsterforever wrote:Obviously it goes without saying that Fardy's a real asset, but I'd hate to lose Baird permanently or something just for one extra year out of Fardy. It's an exceptionally fine line to tread if you've got the Union looking to move on any promising Leinster players. Ryan, Toner, Molony, Baird, Dunne, Dowling, Charlie Ryan, Deeny would be a pretty good corps of locks.

Did I read somewhere Ruddock was roumoured to be leaving? Could be something to do with that and Fardy's gonna be playing more blindside?
No. Someone on here was worrying that Ruddock might off to south Wales now that his international career was over.
If Fardy is being kept on for another year resulting in the loss of a young gun/s then it would have to be for more than on-pitch reasons. Some forward planning might be involved.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dwarf
Beginner

Post by Dwarf »

leinsterforever wrote:Obviously it goes without saying that Fardy's a real asset, but I'd hate to lose Baird permanently or something just for one extra year out of Fardy. It's an exceptionally fine line to tread if you've got the Union looking to move on any promising Leinster players. Ryan, Toner, Molony, Baird, Dunne, Dowling, Charlie Ryan, Deeny would be a pretty good corps of locks.

Baird not goin anywhere. From the horses mouth.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Even so- that’s a fair price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Yeah, great for the culture of nurturing talent alright.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Peg Leg wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote: Presumably at the expense of some young talent moving elsewhere.

Yeah, great for the culture of nurturing talent alright.
Great for creating a winning culture. That’s what we’re about- right, winning matches and trophies?

Unless you never want us to sign another player- still less not re-sign a great servant in a position that (despite the potential emerging) we don’t yet have cover of the requisite standard... then of course you’re right.

But personally I retain the seemingly unfashionable (expect with the team management) view that you don’t let a key player go unless you can replace them with the equivalent of the same or higher standard.

If Leo or Lancaster considered Baird or one of the other prospects up to it now, they’d let Fardy go. But if the rumour of a new contract is correct, it appears they don’t.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Yeah, great for the culture of nurturing talent alright.
Great for creating a winning culture. That’s what we’re about- right, winning matches and trophies?

Unless you never want us to sign another player- still less not re-sign a great servant in a position that (despite the potential emerging) we don’t yet have cover of the requisite standard... then of course you’re right.

But personally I retain the seemingly unfashionable (expect with the team management) view that you don’t let a key player go unless you can replace them with the equivalent of the same or higher standard.

If Leo or Lancaster considered Baird or one of the other prospects up to it now, they’d let Fardy go. But if the rumour of a new contract is correct, it appears they don’t.

I think both Mildly & I are presupposing the deal is based on Leinster "sharing" the young talent with our competitors as a quid pro quo for the Fardy deal. Not that he is blocking young second row talent.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I really don't want any Saracens players (or any signings at all) but the talk about it has got me thinking that it might be a good idea to loan them someone for a year. Obviously it depends on who they hold on to but playing week in week out in a well coached and driven team could be the making of some of our players. Jack Aungier and HOS spring to mind. Or someone like Charlie Ryan could end up running the lineout for a season and calling under pressure in places that are baying for blood.

It won't happen for a variety of reasons but I think there's merit in it.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Ruaidhrí O'Connor (who else?) was on OTB (where else?) last night proposing a draft system for young Irish players. Is Nucifora just working him like a sock puppet now?

Even when he's ready for Champions Cup standard I don't see Baird being a straight replacement for Fardy. He's more about athleticism than the nous and strength you get from Fardy. Whenever we lose Fardy we'll be losing a lot of rugby IQ. I don't see us ever getting a complete replacement for that, but the reason I mentioned Skelton earlier is that he gives us something we don't have and don't look likely to have any time soon - sheer weight. It's what cost us against Saracens last year, and what seemed to make Lyon and Benetton so hard to digest this year.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Twist wrote:Ruaidhrí O'Connor (who else?) was on OTB (where else?) last night proposing a draft system for young Irish players. Is Nucifora just working him like a sock puppet now?

Even when he's ready for Champions Cup standard I don't see Baird being a straight replacement for Fardy. He's more about athleticism than the nous and strength you get from Fardy. Whenever we lose Fardy we'll be losing a lot of rugby IQ. I don't see us ever getting a complete replacement for that, but the reason I mentioned Skelton earlier is that he gives us something we don't have and don't look likely to have any time soon - sheer weight. It's what cost us against Saracens last year, and what seemed to make Lyon and Benetton so hard to digest this year.
Ruaidhri is an awful Muppet. Wish he'd stick to Luke's bantercast as I'd never hear him then!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

@artaneboy wrote:

"Great for creating a winning culture. That’s what we’re about- right, winning matches and trophies?

If Leo or Lancaster considered Baird or one of the other prospects up to it now, they’d let Fardy go. But if the rumour of a new contract is correct, it appears they don’t."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Retaining Fardy will undoubtedly impact on others in Leinster but it would be more realistic to recognise that we are almost a full Season behind in the development of two of our "next generation" in Charlie Ryan and Jack Dunne - due to unanticipated injury.

Fardy has had a superb impact on the Squad, which may not have been as high profile as Brad Thorn but has been longer-term and thus more significant in the careers of these young players.

His availability provides another unique layer of player development which will be of huge benefit to guys like Josh Murphy, Ross Molony, Charlie Ryan, Ryan Baird. Jack Dunne & Dowling. He's not blocking opportunity, he's developing potential.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ed Byrne picked up a neck injury over the Christmas period. Requires a "period of rehabilitation".

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-iss ... ry-update/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish