Champions Cup Final 2020 (tix, travel, accom)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Champions Cup Final 2020 (tix, travel, accom)

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Hi Lads...

Notice the price of flights from dublin and london are already through the roof for Marseille. Already have me tix and accom sorted. Just wondering if anyone else has worked out a good route to get there..e.g. flying into a different city.
Serb
Mullet

Re: Champions Cup Final 2020 (tix, travel, accom)

Post by Serb »

I’m flying into Lyon (€130) and getting the train to Marseille. Station is in the airport and takes about 30 minutes. I’m flying out of Marseille (€70) on the way home.

I booked these a good while ago however and it was already on the relatively pricey side so not sure how much joy you’ll have with that route.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Serb wrote:I’m flying into Lyon (€130) and getting the train to Marseille. Station is in the airport and takes about 30 minutes. I’m flying out of Marseille (€70) on the way home.

I booked these a good while ago however and it was already on the relatively pricey side so not sure how much joy you’ll have with that route.
lyon is a good shout. When you say 30mins...did you mean 1hour and 30mins? TGV is coming up as that for me from lyon airport. https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lyon-Airport-LYS/Marseille
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Monaco grand prix is on the same weekend.
We had a look at some alternate routes but all airports to South of France very expensive that weekend.

In light of the draw we have decided to wait a get a charter if we qualify. As we have no away trips before possible final its not a bad option.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:lyon is a good shout. When you say 30mins...did you mean 1hour and 30mins? TGV is coming up as that for me from lyon airport. https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lyon-Airport-LYS/Marseille
Oh probably yeah [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] I didn’t double check the time, had remembered it as 30 mins.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

It's a three hour drive from Carcassone if you can rent a car.
Flying to somewhere on that train line is an option but the TGV is expensive.
There are direct TGVs from Brussels - a bunch of us here are going but not enough to affect the price...the Monaco Grand Prix is a curve ball though: a lot of petrolheads in Belgium.
Train tickets for May just went on sale at the weekend, so now is the time to book the train. It typically doesn't get cheaper.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Having done it for the SF vs Toulon in 2014, I'd happily recommend flying to Paris and TGV down to Marseillle. TGV was really nice experience and a very comfortable 4ish hours.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

the french just cancelled a big carnival/festival in Nice....not far from marseille. in switzerland where I am, they have cancelled all events with 1,000 people or more. And we all know what is happening in Italy.
I hate to say it but I think the champions cup semi finals, in france and final might not happen this year.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

On the off chance that the final proceeds :-

A group of us (10) are booked on the Friday afternoon flight into Lyon but are having problems booking seats on a train from Lyon to Marseilles, no direct trains on offer that day - they're normally at least hourly.
Anyone else have the same problem ?
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Barry wrote:On the off chance that the final proceeds :-

A group of us (10) are booked on the Friday afternoon flight into Lyon but are having problems booking seats on a train from Lyon to Marseilles, no direct trains on offer that day - they're normally at least hourly.
That is odd. thursday 21st may is a public holiday over there but friday is a normal day. only 1 direct train at 1407 on the friday from lyon to marseille.
If there's ten in the group...joe maxi an option? TVGs are great if it is direct route.
yellow vest guys were striking in jan which mucked up the rail network in france. joe maxi might be the safer option.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

That is odd. thursday 21st may is a public holiday over there but friday is a normal day. only 1 direct train at 1407 on the friday from lyon to marseille.
If there's ten in the group...joe maxi an option? TVGs are great if it is direct route.
yellow vest guys were striking in jan which mucked up the rail network in france. joe maxi might be the safer option.
thanks Myles - might give Joe a shout
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

I would wait a little before phoning for a joe maxi.
French just banned all "indoor events" with 5,000 or more. Might be lost in translation but I guess that means stadiums as well.
https://www.france24.com/en/20200229-fr ... rus-spread
If that is the case, the FRA v IRL game is in doubt as well....
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Stupid question but are they actually on sale yet?
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

kermischocolate wrote:

they go on sale 90 days before the date of travel so should have been available a week ago
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Barry wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

they go on sale 90 days before the date of travel so should have been available a week ago
I know but if they've gone from having an hourly service to none seems a bit odd.