Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:
neill_m wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Hasn't a deal been done where they are allowed keep the trophies as long as they aren't displayed anywhere public?
Indeed

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sara ... -z30ln5l8c
Getting a bit silly now.
What's the punishment if they display them?
public flogging
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Madser.
"My contract is up in Bristol at the end of the season," Madigan said.
"I'm going through that process at the moment and maybe potentially looking at coming back home, all the Irish provinces are going as strong as ever and you would love to be involved there again, but you just have to wait and see.
"I'd be open to playing at any of the provinces, be that Leinster, Munster, Connacht or Ulster. There are great things going on with Andy Friend in Connacht and Dan McFarland in Ulster. Munster and Leinster are strong as ever, it would be a joy to play with any of the provinces."
Connacht and Ulster look most likely considering the depth at Leinster and Munster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

That faint thud in the distance you heard just now was Stephen Jones's head exploding after the additional 70point deduction for Saracens*
(Stephen Jones with the Times - one of the only journalists to actually defend Saracans* https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rele ... -jhk5jp275)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:Madser.
"I'm going through that process at the moment and maybe potentially looking at coming back home, all the Irish provinces are going as strong as ever and you would love to be involved there again, but you just have to wait and see.
"I'd be open to playing at any of the provinces, be that Leinster, Munster, Connacht or Ulster. There are great things going on with Andy Friend in Connacht and Dan McFarland in Ulster. Munster and Leinster are strong as ever, it would be a joy to play with any of the provinces."
Connacht and Ulster look most likely considering the depth at Leinster and Munster.
He'd be a great signing for either, but I have the feeling he may have annoyed someone in the Union because the last time his contract was up he issued a "come and get me" series of interviews and no one bit - Connacht were particularly snooty about it if memory serves
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It amazes me how a paper of such repute would continue to employ such a colossal gobsh!te. Then it is all about the clicks these days, we have our own Ewan something or other.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

blockhead wrote:It amazes me how a paper of such repute would continue to employ such a colossal gobsh!te. Then it is all about the clicks these days, we have our own Ewan something or other.
that thatch he wears on his head co-sponsored by nigel wray, perhaps?
his logic for defending the sarashambles is jaw dropping.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:
blockhead wrote:Madser.
He'd be a great signing for either, but I have the feeling he may have annoyed someone in the Union because the last time his contract was up he issued a "come and get me" series of interviews and no one bit - Connacht were particularly snooty about it if memory serves
Willie Ruane said how happy he was with Moritz Boshoff. Idiot. If he had played his cards right the union would have signed Madigan for him.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by hugonaut

Willie Ruane said how happy he was with Moritz Boshoff. Idiot. If he had played his cards right the union would have signed Madigan for him.
No one knew what a disaster Boshoff would be but looking at it now its a shame. TBF I doubt Connacht could afford Madigan then or now.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by hugonaut

No one knew what a disaster Boshoff would be but looking at it now its a shame. TBF I doubt Connacht could afford Madigan then or now.
I would say Madser's salary expectations have reduced somewhat since his exit.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Peg Leg wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:
by hugonaut

I would say Madser's salary expectations have reduced somewhat since his exit.
You would think he'd have made enough by now, his last deal being £500k a year with Bristol, that he'd be happy to take €150-200k to come home with potential to make an Ireland squad or two.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Bit dismissive to talk about someone's wages that way, no?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Morf wrote:Bit dismissive to talk about someone's wages that way, no?
I stand by "somewhat reduced" based on his involvement with Brizzle this season.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Peg Leg wrote:
I stand by "somewhat reduced" based on his involvement with Brizzle this season.
I don't have an issue with your post.

Locho's suggestion 'he should accept 30-40% of wages to be in Ireland and be thankful for it' attitude was a bit off for me.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Morf wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
I don't have an issue with your post.

Locho's suggestion 'he should accept 30-40% of wages to be in Ireland and be thankful for it' attitude was a bit off for me.
I think he’ll be getting a pay cut wherever he goes. A substantial one and possibly of that order. He got 2 amazing deals and his stock has fallen hard. He’s a risk.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/matt-gal ... h-saracens

Gallagher... Irish qualified.... Leaving salarysins for munster.

Start of the exodus?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51460013

Some non-Sarries news, Dai Young is stepping back from first team duties for an interim period, with backs coach Lee Blackett taking over.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Back to Sarries.

Saracens sponsors Allianz are set to pull the plug after 8 years. Allianz's sponsorship was due to end in 2021 but it is understood that the club's principal partner will cut ties a year early. Worth £2M a year.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The English Championship has had its funding slashed by 50% from next season.
"The Championship is, and will continue to be, a useful way for players to get additional developmental experience, but we do not believe it is the primary place where Premiership and England players are discovered and developed.” Bill Sweeney RFU CEO
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

blockhead wrote:The English Championship has had its funding slashed by 50% from next season.
"The Championship is, and will continue to be, a useful way for players to get additional developmental experience, but we do not believe it is the primary place where Premiership and England players are discovered and developed.” Bill Sweeney RFU CEO
As much as the English Premiership clubs bleat about the danger of relegation, the truth is that they only go down for a 1 and bounce straight back up and with their golden share's they maintain their income. In reality they have ring fenced 13 teams for a 12 team league. This announcement further strengthens that position.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

TrapperChamonix wrote:
blockhead wrote:The English Championship has had its funding slashed by 50% from next season.
As much as the English Premiership clubs bleat about the danger of relegation, the truth is that they only go down for a 1 and bounce straight back up and with their golden share's they maintain their income. In reality they have ring fenced 13 teams for a 12 team league. This announcement further strengthens that position.
I hear saracens won't get the parachute payment normally given to relegated clubs and allianz have formally announced they're ending the sponsorship.
McCall was in an interview yesterday waxing lyrical about how the whole focus at the moment is the leinster game in April. https://www.rugbypass.com/news/mark-mcc ... pions-cup/

No pressure, then.