Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Sevens

Post by leinsterforever »

neiliog93 wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:He wouldn't leave either for dead.

Aaron Sexton's 100 metres PB is 10.48, Isles' 100 metres PB is 10.13 (he used to be a pro sprinter), and 0.35 seconds is a big difference for that distance. Conroy is almost as quick as Isles, actually has a higher 'fastest speed recorded' than Isles and matched him over 60 metres in scoring an intercept try last year. Conroy, for all his flaws, is in the top five quickest people ever to get paid to play a form of rugby.
That's quite a big claim.

Dwain Chambers 9.97 (9.87 discounted for drug use) https://worldathletics.org/athletes/gre ... bers-50331 also 5th fastest man and joint 10th fastest time in history over 60m with 6.42s http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m60mok.htm. Played two (?) games for Castleford's second team in rugby league.

Warren Weir 10.02 100m, 19.79 200m, 46.23 400m https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes ... eir-224247. Olympic 200m bronze medallist from London 2012 who has supposedly played 7s for Jamaica https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Weir

Trae Williams 10.10 https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes ... ams-278956 currently in the Aussie 7s set-up.

Carlin Isles 10.15 (10.13 was wind-assisted, has also run 6.65 60m and 21.04 200m) https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes ... les-246131 USA 7s player

Aaron Sexton 10.43 100m, 20.69 200m ttps://www.european-athletics.org/athletes/gro ... index.html

Nigel Walker 10.47 100m, 6.65 60m (10.35 100m wind-assisted) https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes ... alker-3069 Welsh 110m hurdler turned rugby winger

I'm probably forgetting somebody obvious. Any other verified fast times out there?
From the point at which both are sprinting, Isles gains a metre at most over 50 metres+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bJXVIqgLz0

Also, Conroy has the fastest max speed ever recorded in sevens (joint with Isles), at 37 km/hr.
Conroy is obviously very, very fast, but I wouldn't take that as conclusive proof that he's within a whisker of Isles.

- what kind of shape was Isles in? 10.15 form? - or would he have run something like 10.3 or 10.4 if he ran a 100m race that weekend?
- how fresh were both players at that point? how much running had they done in the game, and how recently?
- chasers sometimes can't commit full speed due to the danger of overshooting if the ball-carrier runs a curve
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland, playing some dreadful rugby, lose 28-21 to Canada in the opener in Hamilton
I have Bumbleflex
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ireland, playing some dreadful rugby, lose 28-21 to Canada in the opener in Hamilton
The women also lost their first game to Canada.
Next up Spain for the men and France for the women.

Because of scheduling problems aren't they doing away with the quarter finals for this tournament? Goes straight from group games to semis?
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ireland, playing some dreadful rugby, lose 28-21 to Canada in the opener in Hamilton
Very poor against France. Kennedy is incredibly frustrating, always seems to take a lot out of the ball. Just pass it to Conroy when he's in space FFS!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
kermischocolate
Mullet

So the women finished 11th and are currently sitting 10th in the table. But of a gap to Spain above them but equally there's the same amount to Brazil below them.
They now go to Sydney next week with a group of France, Australia and Spain.

The men finished 12th and are currently 11th in the table. Wales are the buttom team with 4 points so Ireland should hold onto their core team status fairly comfortably (barring any disasters).

They have England, Canada and Spain in their group in Sydney.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ireland Men finish in 7th place in Sydney with an excellent win against Argentina

Somewhat amazingly there was a weather delay for both Men and Women's Finals - due to torrential rain.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Ruckedtobits wrote:Ireland Men finish in 7th place in Sydney with an excellent win against Argentina

Somewhat amazingly there was a weather delay for both Men and Women's Finals - due to torrential rain.
Yep the women struggled again but beat Brasil in the 11th place play off.

I'm still not convinced by this no quarter finals melarkey.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

SHould have qualified as pool winners but we threw it away and snatched a draw from the jaws of victory. All we had to do was keep the ball for 10-20 seconds from a restart and kick it dead. Terry Kennedy ran towards his own goal line and booted the ball out before time was up about 5 metres out and SA scored from the LO.

Australia in the QFs
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland rinsed 36 - 0
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland lead 14-7 England at half time in the 5th place semi-final.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland win 26 - 7 to advance to the 5th place final
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Beaten by US in 5th Place game by 12-19.

Good performance overall although Q/F game v Oz was a disappointment.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Beaten by US in 5th Place game by 12-19.

Good performance overall although Q/F game v Oz was a disappointment.
It was 24-19 against the US. Some good and some very frustrating stuff, as ever.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Went 19-0 down, then pulled it back to 19 all before conceding a try with the clock in the red
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote:Went 19-0 down, then pulled it back to 19 all before conceding a try with the clock in the red

Apologies @Dave Cahill. I knew it was 24-19 but didn't even review my post! Too much late-night Sevens.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Dave Cahill wrote:Went 19-0 down, then pulled it back to 19 all before conceding a try with the clock in the red
Don't think the US try was with time gone, cos Ireland got the ball back and could have scored if they hadn't knocked on.

The Series is going pretty well so far, you'd have to say. 9th overall with some excellent performances and some not so good ones. Winning the ball back from restarts is tougher at this level.

Jack Kelly is looking quite good. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him and Leinster down the line.

Chance to knock over NZ next week in Vancouver. That probably hasn't happened since '73.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I didn’t see the game we lost against Spain or the narrow win against Kenya but did catch the game early am against NZ and the one just there against France. We are a decent side who show so much endeavor but we could have 75% of the ball and still lose a game by a few try’s. It’s frustrating to watch because they are trying so hard. We probably should have beaten NZ but there was always a feeling they just needed 30 seconds to get a couple of scores, which they got and against France we should have beaten them by a couple of scores but just couldn’t get away from them. We have a massive dependency on Conroy’s speed but it means because of that we actually under play him because we want him in the right position to exploit it. Terry Kennedy does some amazing things but he also is the cause of a try most games by a bad decision and that is true over nearly all the games I’ve seen through the different tournaments the last few months. This weekend so far Jack Kelly has been immense in defence and attack. He is a very good decision maker. We desperately need another speedster or two to get to the next level but not sure where they will come from.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Aaron Sexton?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

bgmusic wrote:Aaron Sexton?
Had a trial for the sevens team and didn't make the cut.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

decent brief report here on the Men's Sevens performance at the English National Training centre over the weekend. Competition included the English & US teams who are at the front rank of the World Men's Sevens.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/05/17/ed ... sa-and-gb/