Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wouldn't be as pessimistic as that just yet. I would imagine things will get much worse over the coming weeks and have written off this game but there's no particular cut off point that we have to stick to in order to finish the season.

Personally I'd be in favour of calling a halt to everything for the next month/6 weeks or so and then if the virus looks to be under control you could start to play games BCD again and start to clear the backlog. There's no reason we can't finish the league or CC in August if needs be. Ireland play Australia on the 4th and 11th July. I haven't checked the fixtures for the other countries but obviously they'll be playing around then too and presumably we can't move them because tv money will dictate that we can't.

I'm not downplaying the logistical nightmare that this would be for everyone involved but to me it makes perfect sense to try and plan for it. There would need to be a date whereby there's no coming back and we do have to write off the season, or at least prioritise what can and can't be done e.g. no Pro14 games before the 1st June means we write that off but the CC could be finished in a three week block in August etc etc.

It would also mean that things like that UEFA b*%&!cks about having the Aviva weeks in advance of the Euros goes out the window but there should be an appetite to remove any shitty obstacles like that in the circumstances. I believe SKY and BT were already sounded out about broadcasting Premier League matches at 3pm on Saturdays in the UK (currently not allowed over there to protect attendances) so I'd imagine lots of red tape will be removed.

Look if we have Gards roaming the streets telling everyone to stay inside in two months time then the game is up, but right now I'd be very much of the mindset that we can pencil in alternative arrangements and revisit the situation on a weekly basis.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Look if we have Gards roaming the streets telling everyone to stay inside in two months time....
Christ that sounds awful dystopian.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

FLIP wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Look if we have Gards roaming the streets telling everyone to stay inside in two months time....
It is but that's what's happening in Italy I'm afraid.

I read earlier that one of the towns on lockdown didn't have any new cases yesterday. A long long way to go but at least that's somewhat promising.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote:
First covid-19 death in Ireland; meanwhile the W.H.O. has just declared a pandemic, bemoaning *alarming levels of inaction". All bets are off re Pro 14, Heino etc......
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

I think it is very unlikely that this game goes ahead on April 4.

Restrictions will almost certainly be in place by the end of this month.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

The redistribution continues - Jack Singleton: Saracens' England hooker to join Gloucester on season-long loan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51726397
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And the further complication is that different countries are in different phases of dealing with Covid 19 and will continue to be in the future. I would be writing off major sports events in NH until end of April at the earliest and more likely the end of May.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Wish they would make a decision asap. I've flights, hotel and match tickets all paid for. So looking forward to coming over for it but looks like its def going to be played behind closed doors at the least. No point coming home to watch it in the pub next to the ground. May aswell stay at home (Northamptonshire) watch it there! It's the not knowing that's killing me! No pun intended!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

carlow man wrote:Wish they would make a decision asap. I've flights, hotel and match tickets all paid for. So looking forward to coming over for it but looks like its def going to be played behind closed doors at the least. No point coming home to watch it in the pub next to the ground. May aswell stay at home (Northamptonshire) watch it there! It's the not knowing that's killing me! No pun intended!
With the governments announcement today I would think it's safe to assume the match will at least be behind closed doors.
Anyone But New Zealand
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Recommendation is to suspend all sporting events until 29th March. There's hope yet!!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

FLIP wrote:
carlow man wrote:Wish they would make a decision asap. I've flights, hotel and match tickets all paid for. So looking forward to coming over for it but looks like its def going to be played behind closed doors at the least. No point coming home to watch it in the pub next to the ground. May aswell stay at home (Northamptonshire) watch it there! It's the not knowing that's killing me! No pun intended!
With the governments announcement today I would think it's safe to assume the match will at least be behind closed doors.
Noticed an Interesting problem with the BCD match with PSG and Dortmund last night. Thousands of PSG supporters turned up anyway and were outside the ground singing and cheering the team on, thus defeating the purpose somewhat. I don't see it being a huge problem at our QF (I'd say most people would stay away if that was the instruction) but it is Something else for the authorities to consider if going that route.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

LeinsterLeader wrote: Noticed an Interesting problem with the BCD match with PSG and Dortmund last night. Thousands of PSG supporters turned up anyway and were outside the ground singing and cheering the team on, thus defeating the purpose somewhat. I don't see it being a huge problem at our QF (I'd say most people would stay away if that was the instruction) but it is Something else for the authorities to consider if going that route.
In Ireland, we all will likely go to the pub instead to watch it. Again negating the effect.
At least (I believe) today's announcement means pubs have to enforce the 1m separation.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It sounds like the Euros are being deferred for a year. That news obliterates most of the optimism I had about finishing this season at a later date.

At least not the league, still think a three week block could be found for the CC.

The big picture is the important thing but this would be such a harsh blow on the squad and everyone who prepared them for such a brilliant season. A real opportunity to do something really special and now it looks unlikely.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

The Coaches Q&A scheduled for tonight in the intercontinental hotel has obviously also been postponed/cancelled
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Noticed an Interesting problem with the BCD match with PSG and Dortmund last night. Thousands of PSG supporters turned up anyway and were outside the ground singing and cheering the team on, thus defeating the purpose somewhat. I don't see it being a huge problem at our QF (I'd say most people would stay away if that was the instruction) but it is Something else for the authorities to consider if going that route.
That was the PSG fans declaring themselves a protest. Political protests are exempt from the ban on mass gatherings
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dunno. EPRC still seemingly trying to keep their options open.
If the lockdown is only as long as announced, there’s no reason it couldn’t go ahead behind closed doors.
https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/03/12/epcr-statement/

The Pro14 have understandably thrown in the towel. They can’t lose a month and be viable.
The Heineken cup could weather it though.
Looking less likely but they could play for time.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

If the competition is suspended should Leinster not just be declared as winners because they finished top after the group stage?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Angelsea Angst wrote:If the competition is suspended should Leinster not just be declared as winners because they finished top after the group stage?
My feelings entirely!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FLIP wrote:
Probably. This government cancelled the Italy game without telling the IRFU and closed schools without telling the cabinet so its probably also safe to assume that they could change anything at any time suddenly.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

curates_egg wrote:Dunno. EPRC still seemingly trying to keep their options open.
If the lockdown is only as long as announced, there’s no reason it couldn’t go ahead behind closed doors.
https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/03/12/epcr-statement/

The Pro14 have understandably thrown in the towel. They can’t lose a month and be viable.
The Heineken cup could weather it though.
Looking less likely but they could play for time.
They could lose a month I reckon, divide the points between the teams and go from there. But this is going to go on longer than a month especially in Italy. You won’t be getting in there until May at the earliest. The only fair way to finish the season is revise results vs Italians to 2-2 draws and finish the season without them. It’s a mess. That’s said I think even the welsh would accept it as something other than Irish skullduggery if a truncated closing was agreed.

FWIW I think the UK and France will be in crisis by this time next week. That being the case I think they’d prioritise finishing their own league even in truncates form over the HCC.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles