Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Connacht 2019/20

Post by JB1973 »

sunshiner1 wrote:Anyone see the red card that Peter Robb got this weekend? Talk about a home town decision, if that's the kind of refereeing teams are getting down there then the Pro 14 needs to take a long look at its rostering of officials because that's crazy all day long.
Thank goodness someone else agreed with me, v harsh call he certainly didn't lead with the elbow. Looked like hit the chest first to, I like that ref but he made a mess of that one

Good win for connact with 14 men for so long, scored some vs good trys to

Nice time for a break in the sun down in sa, get out of the wind and rain !
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

JB1973 wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Anyone see the red card that Peter Robb got this weekend? Talk about a home town decision, if that's the kind of refereeing teams are getting down there then the Pro 14 needs to take a long look at its rostering of officials because that's crazy all day long.
Thank goodness someone else agreed with me, v harsh call he certainly didn't lead with the elbow. Looked like hit the chest first to, I like that ref but he made a mess of that one

For sure not a red card, the TMO tried his best to direct him towards a yellow.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

JB1973 wrote:

There were some stats going around on Reddit with regards to SANZAR refs in the Super 15. Apparently SA teams have a much higher win rate under SA refs than any other nation does under their own refs.
Anyone But New Zealand
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by FLIP

There were some stats going around on Reddit with regards to SANZAR refs in the Super 15. Apparently SA teams have a much higher win rate under SA refs than any other nation does under their own refs.
That I would easily believe. I know it's all about saving money but it really doesn't say much for the prestige of the league if constant dodgy decisions are let go like this.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Rumour on MFs that Arnold and Oliver are going to Connacht.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by dropkick

Rumour on MFs that Arnold and Oliver are going to Connacht.
Interesting, both good players if they can stay fit which is doubtful. If I was Connacht I would be looking for players with less of an injury record. That said Daly has being chugging along nicely since he's moved west.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Heard that Oliver was off t'Ingland
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

FLIP wrote:
JB1973 wrote:

Yeah it’s mentioned here https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/i ... n-referees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Daragh Leader rumoured to be leaving Connacht next season for the good ol' US of A.

https://twitter.com/TadhgLeader/status/ ... 27267?s=20
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht rumoured to have signed Cheetahs number eight Jasper Wiese for next season.

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-rugby-3-5064891-Apr2020/
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Bernard Jackman on 42.ie podcast advocating a big splurge on signings from abroad to strengthen Connacht.

I appreciate it's a great time to get value in market but I'd rather money be kept in CCROs/development/homegrown players contracted elsewhere if money is going to be tight for IRFU/Connacht
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I do think they need at least a big name signing this next season. It's being a while since they had one and they something to energise the base again after a few fallow years.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Tom McCartney has announced his retirement from professional rugby.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Morf wrote:Bernard Jackman on 42.ie podcast advocating a big splurge on signings from abroad to strengthen Connacht.

I appreciate it's a great time to get value in market but I'd rather money be kept in CCROs/development/homegrown players contracted elsewhere if money is going to be tight for IRFU/Connacht

The goal should be champions cup qualification so that means being better than their mid table rivals. They need to just sign enough quality to stay there but it would probably be a waste of money to go on a spending spree.

If they're looking to challenge for the pro14 title then they would need to splash a lot of cash because they're far off their 2016 level.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Agreed. Arnold and Oliver are fine players but hardly world beaters. Don't know enough about Weise. None though are a big name signing like McCartney or Aki. Lam signed their first All-Black when he was there. Can't see that happening again.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Connacht in the market for at least one, if not two back three players with Leader possibly on his way to the US. I wonder might Ferg contemplate heading West
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

betty swallocks wrote:Connacht in the market for at least one, if not two back three players with Leader possibly on his way to the US. I wonder might Ferg contemplate heading West
Isn't Rob Kearney also out of contract? Might he also head west?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

betty swallocks wrote:Connacht in the market for at least one, if not two back three players with Leader possibly on his way to the US. I wonder might Ferg contemplate heading West
Would they be interested in a 34-year-old McFadden? Unfortunately I'd say they'd be more after a JOB, TOB, ROL profile of player..
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht are apparently going to release. up to 10 players this season with financial constraints being mentioned. They are only signing four/five so this is going to hurt.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht players set to depart as new squad takes shape
Linley MacKenzie Galway Advertiser, Thu, May 21, 2020

A host of players are set to leave Connacht Rugby, following Robin Copeland's announced departure to France this week.

The No 8 had been expected to retire at the end of the season, but was offered a chance to move to French ProD2 side Angouleme.

However, along with openside Colby Fainga'a's move to France and the expected departure of fellow backrow player Eoin McKeon, Connacht will be looking to add some strength, particularly at No 8, when the new season begins.

The four new young players from Munster and Leinster who are moving west to the Galway Sportsground will fill some of the void.

Munster's Sammy Arnold (centre ), Conor Oliver (backrow ), and Leinster's Jack Aungier (prop ), and Oisin Dowling (lock ) have all featured for Ireland at U20 level.

While Arnold, Aungier and Dowling have agreed two year deals, Oliver, a backrow player who has featured for Munster 28 times, is on a one-year contract.

All four talented players are expected to get game time in Connacht, particularly with the departure of some players in key positions. In addition to those already announced, two overseas players Kyle Godwin and David Horwitz are expected to be leaving.

Horwitz struggled to make a mark in the west, having been signed as a outhalf rather than a centre, while many will miss the versatile Godwin, who has delivered in every position and occasion in which he has played.

No doubt his departure, like that of McKeon, would be a tough call for Connacht, but given the current economic climate, and with five midfielders already on the books - in addition to newcomer Arnold, who made his international debut against USA in 2018 - Godwin appears to be the player who could lose out.

It is believed some 11 players could be departing the Sportsground when the new squad is revealed, including lock Joe Maksymiw and possibly crowd favourite Niyi Adeolokun.

Investing in Ireland's youth is a policy heightened by Covid-19 and the lack of revenue available to the sport. Thus the young quartet of Arnold, Dowling, Aungier and Oliver will be able to get game time in the west, a policy advocated by coach Andy Friend.