for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: General GAA thread

Post by Avenger »

6 all Ireland’s. The first 5 in a row.
Talk about going out on top.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Looks that Tyrone Dublin game was a bit lively the weekend, the video doing the round of the half time punch up is very full on!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

JB1973 wrote:Looks that Tyrone Dublin game was a bit lively the weekend, the video doing the round of the half time punch up is very full on!
Media trying to blame Dublin for it, even naming Dublin players but no Tyrone ones :roll:
Owen Mulligan even chimed in. Pot kettle :roll:
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Laighin Break wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Looks that Tyrone Dublin game was a bit lively the weekend, the video doing the round of the half time punch up is very full on!
Media trying to blame Dublin for it, even naming Dublin players but no Tyrone ones :roll:
Owen Mulligan even chimed in. Pot kettle :roll:

I don't know that much about the GAA , the football is great to watch but the hurling (while skilful) I find hard to follow

Dublin recent record is fantastic no matter what sport your in to win 5 titles in a row is great going, but the law of averages says they are bound to slip up in a knock out game sooner or later, I thought Kerry could and proably should have won that first final last season.

Would they or one of the ulster teams be the biggest danger to Dublin this season?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

JB1973 wrote:
I don't know that much about the GAA , the football is great to watch but the hurling (while skilful) I find hard to follow

Dublin recent record is fantastic no matter what sport your in to win 5 titles in a row is great going, but the law of averages says they are bound to slip up in a knock out game sooner or later, I thought Kerry could and proably should have won that first final last season.

Would they or one of the ulster teams be the biggest danger to Dublin this season?
Kerry have everything it takes to beat Dublin - they have the players, the resources, the physical and mental strength and the heritage. They just haven't yet.

Tyrone can beat Dublin if Dublin aren't 100% on it. They have the system and the system is all, bow down before the system. They don't play much football - they play anti-football. Somewhat ironically they have a lot of really skilful players and some of their club sides are a joy to watch. The other thing about Tyrone is that, much as it has caused a crisis in football, they are possibly the only truely innovative team in gaelic games since the second world war.

Mayo have the players, but they have the mental fortitude and organisational backup of a slice of easi-single processed cheese food
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Quick gaa based question

1) can this be played in the winter months or would that make a sport like hurling impossible?

2) if it is played in the winter say alongside football and rugby will that have a major impact on spectators and players ?

3) do people play gaa as well as soccer and rugby or will it tend to be one or the other? (I'm thinking more of grass roots than elite level)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

1) It's not ideal, but it's doable

2) Massive - I'd hate to see the gate at a Munster game if it were up against a Limerick or Cork hurling match in the championship - same with Leinster up against the Dubs in football

3) it would depend on the level - a guy/girl who is playing senior club would tend not to play other sports simply because they wouldn't have time, but it wouldn't be unusual for intermediate, junior and social players to play multiple sports. As well, GAA is two sports (actually its more than that, Handball and Rounders are also GAA sports in Ireland, but for the purpose of this discussion we'll stick with Football and Hurling/Camogie*) so there would be a certain amount of dual-sports players.

*yes, I know it isn''t.
I have Bumbleflex
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Aren't club championships and county leagues played through the winter and county championships through summer?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

kermischocolate wrote:Aren't club championships and county leagues played through the winter and county championships through summer?
No. Club season (in Dublin at least) usually starts mid-Feb with some cup games; league starts late Feb/early March; Championship starts a bit later, April maybe.
Games are played through the summer, with a three week break in August, with an aim to finish up late September/early October. Things usually run on a little longer due to a backlog of games postponed due to weather/conflicts.
Then there's the club provincial/All Ireland championship which runs after the county championships have completed.

Intercounty calendar starts with Cups December - January; League January - March; Champo May - August.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Seriously impressed by the leadership shown by the GAA President and his colleagues this week. Very clearly they have their finger on the pulse of the nation and their rapid decision to call off all club games sends a very direct message as to the personal responsibility carried by every individual in society in the middle of a pandemic.

Well done.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Alarming/interesting comments from Bevan Duffy of Louth

"I don't understand, with the case numbers going up, the way things are all around the country, how GAA inter-county footballers are all of a sudden immune to this," he said.

"We've teachers in that dressing room. We've lads living at home, a lot of lads living at home with their elderly parents.

"It doesn't really make that much sense."

Expanding on current levels of testing in the inter-county sphere, Duffy said: "The protocols need to be better, without a doubt.

"There hasn't been any testing at all, which I can't get my head around.

"Surely before the start of the National League campaign every inter-county squad should have been tested. Simple as.

"That would take a lot of pressure off and put your mind at ease a bit, but you don't know.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1019/ ... n-testing/
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Are there still going to be qualifiers this year? If there are, it's not great having any of the Ulster counties bopping around the country
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

No qualifiers this time round. A straight old school knock out.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

John23 wrote: October 20th, 2020, 1:52 pm No qualifiers this time round. A straight old school knock out.
Cool, thanks
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 20th, 2020, 1:11 pm Are there still going to be qualifiers this year? If there are, it's not great having any of the Ulster counties bopping around the country
There are qualifiers in the hurling (doesn't affect Ulster) but none in the football.

There's a lot of fuss about this but the reality is that half the teams will have been knocked out within two weeks of it starting.

Edit: First match in the football championship is on 31st October and, by 8th of November, 17 of the 31 teams participating will have been knocked out of the competition.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Calling off the U.21 competition - according to RTE - because rugby, soccer etc don't consider that level as 'elite', is not a clever move. This was an opportunity to ensure theese guys were the exemplars for their peers, keeping in shape and behaving themselves post-match. They will all be well pissed off now and many on panels will jack in the game altogether.

Not an astute move.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Some sexist rant on the indo today.
Elite sport is only going ahead because its men making all the decisions. I want to see my grandparents etc etc. All men are b$&%@#ds yada yada yada.
Your standard daily indo misandristic shite.
The womens rugby and Gaa is still going ahead is it not?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I don't have premium access, but from the preview of the author's article 3 weeks ago :

"Student parties are not reckless - as long as they don't ask granny to come along
.... But the young people in that video know that the risk of their falling seriously ill, even if they do get Covid, is very small indeed. What would be really reckless is that if they then exposed other more vulnerable groups to the same risk. We don't know that they did that."

So students having parties and going home to their parents and grand parents aren't spreading the disease. But elite sports people who are being tested regularly are?
Why haven't I paid for access to this wonderful analysis?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: October 21st, 2020, 9:11 am Some sexist rant on the indo today.
Elite sport is only going ahead because its men making all the decisions. I want to see my grandparents etc etc. All men are b$&%@#ds yada yada yada.
Your standard daily indo misandristic shite.
The womens rugby and Gaa is still going ahead is it not?
is it behind the paywall?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Wonder if we'll see James Lowe playing a bit of junior football in the off season like SOB:

https://twitter.com/NaomhOlaf/status/13 ... 5591984128