Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:The content of this article could apply to most countries.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06- ... eater.html

The general public may not know when the first case was, in Ireland, but the government and NPHET surely have a fairly accurate idea.
Added to that it seems odd that sampling using both antigen and antibody tests haven't already been carried out.
Reliability of both antigen and antibody test results is a significant factor in decisions on sampling. Hospital analyses suggest that false positive rate of 30% for Covid has changed much in a month. Antibody testing in France suggests a false NEGATIVE rate of c. 24%.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oronavirus

Fascinating stuff here:
...As a viral immunologist, I see immunity in Covid-19 as a puzzle that we have yet to solve. But every week, new publications add new pieces to the jigsaw. When vaccines become widely available, protection will be much easier to assess using serology and lab-based tests. Right now, antibody tests do not confirm protection – it is just too early to know the quantity and type that would be necessary for that....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

500,000 DEAD.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Is it all about communication?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06- ... ntial.html

Wear Your Mask
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Do you know what is hilarious? People driving cars on their own with a mask on. Who are they trying to protect themselves from? Themselves?

Fairly tough as they ARE themselves. :)
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There have been 2.3m new cases of Covid-19 in the past 14 days. A country-by-country review from the John Hopkins recognised data source shows that 90 countries reported more that 1,000 new cases during the past 14 days (during which time Ireland reported 139 new cases).

Just because our deaths and new cases have fallen dramatically, nobody in Ireland should believe that this Pandemic is waning. Whether you look East towards Russia and the former Soviet states, or a little south from there into the Gulf States & Middle East, or west & south west to North & South America, there are vast numbers of very populous countries reporting their highest ever incidence of cases and a greater variety of mortal symptoms of Covid-19.

South Korea has formally confirmed that it is now subject to a second wave with as many deaths reported since 24th June as in the previous four-month period.

International travel has resumed in many countries. Lockdowns have been abandoned in many others. Social distancing has entered the international vocabulary, masks are no longer worn predominantly by robbers, but by concerned citizens.

Here in Ireland it is essential that, having now reduced the incidence of the virus in the Community and properly equipped our Care Homes & Hospitals with the tools to protect against infection, we must strictly maintain the protocols which have helped us since mid-April and optimise our island status to STRICTLY SCREEN ALL ARRIVALS - WITHOUT EXCEPTION. That's the only way we will avoid a second wave, which is undoubtedly expanding across the globe.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 1st, 2020, 9:59 pm There have been 2.3m new cases of Covid-19 in the past 14 days. A country-by-country review from the John Hopkins recognised data source shows that 90 countries reported more that 1,000 new cases during the past 14 days (during which time Ireland reported 139 new cases).

Just because our deaths and new cases have fallen dramatically, nobody in Ireland should believe that this Pandemic is waning. Whether you look East towards Russia and the former Soviet states, or a little south from there into the Gulf States & Middle East, or west & south west to North & South America, there are vast numbers of very populous countries reporting their highest ever incidence of cases and a greater variety of mortal symptoms of Covid-19.

South Korea has formally confirmed that it is now subject to a second wave with as many deaths reported since 24th June as in the previous four-month period.

International travel has resumed in many countries. Lockdowns have been abandoned in many others. Social distancing has entered the international vocabulary, masks are no longer worn predominantly by robbers, but by concerned citizens.

Here in Ireland it is essential that, having now reduced the incidence of the virus in the Community and properly equipped our Care Homes & Hospitals with the tools to protect against infection, we must strictly maintain the protocols which have helped us since mid-April and optimise our island status to STRICTLY SCREEN ALL ARRIVALS - WITHOUT EXCEPTION. That's the only way we will avoid a second wave, which is undoubtedly expanding across the globe.
Unfortunately it is not a second wave at all. It is merely a continuation of the international spread, there has been no "flattening of the curve" when viewed as a whole. f%~king idiots in a small number of countries are to blame for that and I think the Nuremberg trials are a pretty good template to follow after the recovery.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Education.
The stats indicate that children of school going age are at very low risk in relation to COVID.
The teachers, depending on age, are at higher risk.
That being the case, the issue is or should be about how to reduce the risk to them.
This should be relatively easy to do for secondary school goers. It's simply a case of the teacher maintaining the two (at the moment) meter guideline.
Pupils wearing masks would give additional protection.

Something that is being completely ignored is the fact that there is virtually no virus circulating at the moment which makes school going very safe
Ergo the risks in school are minimal.

There is also a case for upgrading ventilation systems.

Teachers are not being asked to take the kind of risks that health care workers have been asked to.
Suggestions that they have been or are being asked to is simple exaggeration.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Feel like a break, how about a bit of mountain climbing.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-epo-covid-.html
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

johng wrote:Do you know what is hilarious? People driving cars on their own with a mask on. Who are they trying to protect themselves from? Themselves?

In fairness, if I'm heading out I try hit a few places to avoid going out again for as long as possible. So mask goes on at the door of the first place and off at the end of the last, after I've sanitised my hands. So driving in between with mask on is perfectly logical.
Also consider.. (I agree the primary use of the mask is to protect others) but by wearing one you make all hand face contact more conscious. You can use that to try control and reduce hand face contact thus protecting yourself. So my parents put on mask before leaving house and don't take it off until they are home endeavoring to not touch face at all for the duration.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... tals-fees/

Prices ranging between €75 and €250 for a COVID test before attending a private hospital for a procedure.

Kinda feels like gouging you me
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

heno wrote: July 5th, 2020, 11:21 am
johng wrote:Do you know what is hilarious? People driving cars on their own with a mask on. Who are they trying to protect themselves from? Themselves?

In fairness, if I'm heading out I try hit a few places to avoid going out again for as long as possible. So mask goes on at the door of the first place and off at the end of the last, after I've sanitised my hands. So driving in between with mask on is perfectly logical.
Also consider.. (I agree the primary use of the mask is to protect others) but by wearing one you make all hand face contact more conscious. You can use that to try control and reduce hand face contact thus protecting yourself. So my parents put on mask before leaving house and don't take it off until they are home endeavoring to not touch face at all for the duration.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I got a bus for the first time in ages last week. While I haven't been wearing a mask I figured that I didn't want to freak out other people on public transport. So I wore one.

On the way in, about 60% of the people on the bus (inc the driver) were not wearing masks.

On the way back the next day we were the only 2 people wearing them.

It is amazing the range of different attitudes about. Some people going round out doors in full masks and gloves and jumping out of your way if you go near them and others not bothering at all even on public transport. Some of the people on the bus were quite elderly (80+) without masks.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A very bad call on the wearing of masks was made early on.
It can be argued that there were good reasons for it at the time.
The really bad decision was to continue making that bad call when the reasons no longer pertained.
The CMO should have come into every press conference wearing a mask and taken it off once he was seated.
His temporary successor should start doing it forthwith.
It's called leading by example.
Ditto for the politicians.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

johng wrote: July 5th, 2020, 3:34 pm
I got a bus for the first time in ages last week. While I haven't been wearing a mask I figured that I didn't want to freak out other people on public transport. So I wore one.

On the way in, about 60% of the people on the bus (inc the driver) were not wearing masks.

On the way back the next day we were the only 2 people wearing them.

It is amazing the range of different attitudes about. Some people going round out doors in full masks and gloves and jumping out of your way if you go near them and others not bothering at all even on public transport. Some of the people on the bus were quite elderly (80+) without masks.
Honestly curious johng, would you wear a mask when grocery shopping or in a public indoor place?

And if not, why not?

Honestly curious, I can’t find a way to ask the question without appearing snarky - but I’m not being snarky. Or judgey or preachy
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

My daughters do. Tbh i don't go shopping often generally. And the odd time I have I haven't worn a mask.

My feeling on it is. It's fairly tough to get the virus these days with only about 300 active cases in the state.

However. If we all start ignoring the rules then chaos ensues. So follow the rules even if they seem silly to you.

I'm not going on any holidays. I don't interact physically with people a huge amount in my work. I feel I am being reasonably sensible.

I don't feel you are being judgmental or snarky. However there are a lot of judgemental people about.

Do you encounter many people without masks in your shopping? I'm guessing yes..
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I take it back. We are now over 400 active cases
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

johng wrote: July 5th, 2020, 8:31 pm My daughters do. Tbh i don't go shopping often generally. And the odd time I have I haven't worn a mask.

My feeling on it is. It's fairly tough to get the virus these days with only about 300 active cases in the state.

However. If we all start ignoring the rules then chaos ensues. So follow the rules even if they seem silly to you.

I'm not going on any holidays. I don't interact physically with people a huge amount in my work. I feel I am being reasonably sensible.

I don't feel you are being judgmental or snarky. However there are a lot of judgemental people about.

Do you encounter many people without masks in your shopping? I'm guessing yes..
In general I’m in the small minority of mask wearers, I don’t understand why people in general don’t wear them.

It seems like a small inconvenience to have to wear a mask indoors in public, and the whole social distancing thing seems to be gone by the wayside. I’ve asked people politely to move back and I get what I call the “you’re not the Gardai” look, as if I’m being unreasonable or judgemental...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

My attitude is. You don't know if people have high risk factors or are related to people with them or are just paranoid. And tbh it doesn't matter. Just go with it if they want you to move.

It's like dog owners (and I am a dog owner) who laugh and say "he won't touch you" when they encounter people who are scared of dogs. Or cyclists (and I am a cyclist) who rush past old people at speed from behind.

The point is not that you know that you don't have the virus or.... know that your dog won't touch them or.... know that you won't hit them with your bike. The point is how you make them feel.

And yes. I know i made fun of people who wear masks alone in cars.....
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

johng wrote: July 5th, 2020, 10:10 pm My attitude is. You don't know if people have high risk factors or are related to people with them or are just paranoid. And tbh it doesn't matter. Just go with it if they want you to move.

It's like dog owners (and I am a dog owner) who laugh and say "he won't touch you" when they encounter people who are scared of dogs. Or cyclists (and I am a cyclist) who rush past old people at speed from behind.

The point is not that you know that you don't have the virus or.... know that your dog won't touch them or.... know that you won't hit them with your bike. The point is how you make them feel.

And yes. I know i made fun of people who wear masks alone in cars.....
fair enough, my attitude is that experts of some description have published a list of recommendations to slow down the spread of the virus which include maintaining a distance, wearing a mask and washing your hands properly and often.

neither me nor my immediate family are in a risk group, we just feel we are doing our civic duty in wearing masks in public and maintaining distance.

but I do get the whole "how you make them feel thing", maybe next time I'll try the "Hi :), you may not have realised that you are actually standing quite close to me", and take it from there
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Not as catchy as how Sting put it
I have Bumbleflex