Recent Technical Issues

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Recent Technical Issues

Post by FLIP »

Hi all,

First up, I want to make sure my intent in this is taken correctly. I'm not taking a dig at those who run and maintain this forum - they have their own lives and do this on a voluntary basis. This post is merely meant to discuss the technical issues and maybe find a way forward to prevent them in future.

There are a few areas of concern.

One is that the version of PHPBB in use (3.0.9) is almost 9 years old. The v3.0.x family of phpbb is no longer supported, and so any new security holes and bugs won't be fixed. It's probably long overdue an update.

Secondly, the site is sometimes down due to MySQL errors. Looking at the error codes returned, some of this seems to be down do the use of MyISAM as the storage engine. All recent versions of MySQL have moved to use InnoDB as the default as the continued use of MyISAM caused issues. I would recommend that the MySQL system backing the database is updated, and that it is changed to use the InnoDB storage engine.

Without access to the backing systems I can't tell - but I imagine that the versions of PHP and other scripting languages used by the site are probably quite out of date too.

There are also some idiosyncrasies baked into the site from the early ages - I seem to remember that quote chains are limited to 3 quotes so that the forum was viewable on early Blackberrys. Images that are larger than the width of the screen are merely cut off, instead of being made to fit the size available. Some of these probably need to come out.

Now again I appreciate that those who can do this don't have the time to help. I would be willing to give some help with this, and would be willing to share professional credentials etc with Limecat etc in private to show that I'm able to help with this.

Thanks,

FLIP
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Recent Technical Issues

Post by Peg Leg »

I would happily donate a paltry monthly sub
If that helps
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

FLIP wrote: I would be willing to give some help with this,
I can't offer the sort of support/help offered by Flip but like Peg Leg I would also be prepared to offer help/support in the form of a donation.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Xanthippe wrote:
I can't offer the sort of support/help offered by Flip but like Peg Leg I would also be prepared to offer help/support in the form of a donation.
+1... Patreon or something similar? Or a one off if that was needed

I won't offer to help technically - unless you want the whole place deleted
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

The only technical support I could offer is, if there is anything that needs plugging in or out of a power source I am willing to oblige. Otherwise more than happy to make a donation to the cause.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote:
+1.
And there was me thinking that I was the only one noticing that the system is creaking.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

There have been a couple of "small" outages in the last couple of weeks, but usually it's fairly stable.

That said, there are definitely improvements and upgrades that could and should be made around the place.

Thanks for the offer FLIP, but I should have the requisite skills to make any required upgrades, it's mostly the getting up off my fat arse to do them part that holds me back.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

limecat wrote:There have been a couple of "small" outages in the last couple of weeks, but usually it's fairly stable.

That said, there are definitely improvements and upgrades that could and should be made around the place.

Thanks for the offer FLIP, but I should have the requisite skills to make any required upgrades, it's mostly the getting up off my fat arse to do them part that holds me back.
No worries - the offer remains available should you change your mind. Given the amount I'm on here it'd only be fair to give back.
Anyone But New Zealand
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Just as an update on this, recent outages were caused by a fairly significant DDOS attack, which has been impacting on many phpbb based forums worldwide over the last few weeks.

Hopefully changes we've now implemented have stopped the attack on our servers, but we'll keep monitoring over the next while.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

limecat wrote:Just as an update on this, recent outages were caused by a fairly significant DDOS attack, which has been impacting on many phpbb based forums worldwide over the last few weeks.

Hopefully changes we've now implemented have stopped the attack on our servers, but we'll keep monitoring over the next while.
Thanks
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

limecat wrote:Just as an update on this, recent outages were caused by a fairly significant DDOS attack, which has been impacting on many phpbb based forums worldwide over the last few weeks.

Thanks Limecat. Have experienced the breakdown a couple of times but as I was travelling (and thus using various host wifi access) I assumed the problem was mine. Great to hear you're on top of it.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

limecat wrote: November 13th, 2018, 3:50 pmThanks for the offer FLIP, but I should have the requisite skills to make any required upgrades, it's mostly the getting up off my fat arse to do them part that holds me back.
As a fellow owner of a fat arse I compliment you on your getting off it. Shiny new upgrade!
Anyone But New Zealand
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

FLIP wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:23 pm
limecat wrote: November 13th, 2018, 3:50 pmThanks for the offer FLIP, but I should have the requisite skills to make any required upgrades, it's mostly the getting up off my fat arse to do them part that holds me back.
As a fellow owner of a fat arse I compliment you on your getting off it. Shiny new upgrade!
Finally made a start on things. Still a lot to be done though.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Don't know if this an option, but other forums have a feature that if I click on a thread with unread posts, it brings me straight to the last post I read rather than me having to work out where I left off. If that was on the list it would be great.

And in 5 mins - knowing my history - someone is going to point me to an option for me to do that already

Thanks for the update btw.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

The Doc wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:47 am Don't know if this an option, but other forums have a feature that if I click on a thread with unread posts, it brings me straight to the last post I read rather than me having to work out where I left off. If that was on the list it would be great.

And in 5 mins - knowing my history - someone is going to point me to an option for me to do that already

You'd be right. :D This was already a feature in the old version, but heres how.

Just click on the red icon and it should take you to the first unread post.
Anyone But New Zealand
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Slick new upgrade! Nice work!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Doc wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:47 am Don't know if this an option, but other forums have a feature that if I click on a thread with unread posts, it brings me straight to the last post I read rather than me having to work out where I left off. If that was on the list it would be great.

Yeah. Been doing that for years.... :)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

limecat wrote: June 30th, 2020, 9:11 am
Looks slicker and presumably is more secure etc. What is left to do next?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

johng wrote: June 30th, 2020, 11:38 am
limecat wrote: June 30th, 2020, 9:11 am

Looks slicker and presumably is more secure etc. What is left to do next?
Change the "unread" icons from red to a more Leinster colour
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

FLIP wrote: June 30th, 2020, 10:59 am

You'd be right. :D This was already a feature in the old version, but heres how.

Just click on the red icon and it should take you to the first unread post.
Cheers