Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster, The Money Pit Province 2019/2020

Post by ronk »

I remember people telling me the Thomond brand was more valuable than a sponsor. They released a Thomond clothing line and were going to make loads out of that.

I think I'm happier not knowing how much they were offered.

At this stage they probably arent pushed for what little they could get.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I heard that Munster Branch had a good deal on the table, but instead opted to change tack and instead sell Gold partner sponsorship to multiple brands, thus tripling the value available to them. There was talk about moving the head office to Zurich at the time as well iirc.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Alex Wooten has joined Connacht on a season long loan
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 12:28 pm Alex Wooten has joined Connacht on a season long loan
Never recovered from that scorching he got from TeddyT in the semi, the season before last, having been picked ahead of Zebo.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 12:28 pm Alex Wooten has joined Connacht on a season long loan
Ah so players can go on lone ........... just not "to" Munster? :shock:
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Sugary tae wrote: July 1st, 2020, 1:35 pm I find that suggestion humorous tbh lads. I’d suggest there’s no more or less likely to be doping in one province than another. I think it’s very naive to think that There aren’t players doping as much as I hope there aren’t. Be careful about smirking too much.

Regarding grobler I think Munster and irfu tried to pull a fast one. They got caught with donnacha Ryan refusing his contract when they thought it was a banker. They went to the open market and didn’t have the funds to pay the going rate and found grobler, a very handy player at a good age and tried to see could they get him under the media radar. Initial one year deal but with a second 2 year deal already on the table if it worked out. Both Munster and irfu planned it as a poach. A very cheap poach. Wages were supposed to be very low. How in the name of god they thought they’d get away with it is beyond me. It was a constant nagging shiiiteshow on social media all year. Irfu messes up badly. They lowballed Ryan, who’s played the best rugby of his career in France and would definitely have travelled to japan. While Erasmus signed grobler nucifora signs off on all. That’s where the ultimate blame goes in my opinion.

I felt certain sympathy to grobler himself. If it a 2 year ban by the authorities you have to assume He’ll play again. However it wasn’t a good image. A longer ban is far more effective in my opinion.

God knows re Cronin. Only the doc the pharmacist and James himself know the truth. I’m in the medical line myself. Mistakes happen and it would shock you how many people of the same name are present in small town Ireland. On my patient list I counted 22 of the same male name. Is it possible I’d be treating two at the same week...very much so. I don’t know. It’s possible

Regarding the argument about why TP hasn’t got a sponsor by now. I really don’t know. I think there’s a couple of things at play. Firstly the first deal is the big ticket. The millennium stadium is still that In common parlance even with It’s new shiny name. Are the next sponsors going to cough up as much?? TP opened in the midst of a massive recession. Limerick has been hit terribly and was only recovering in the last few years far behind Dublin or even cork. I think they’ve probably over estimated it’s worth. It’s like an old stately home that has an imaginary worth by country gentry in my opinion. The biggest problem is the fact that Munster branch and the irfu as a whole are co guarantors.
Considering rugby players only are tested from academy level up, none at all at schools cup level, there's massive opportunity for boys to become more of a man at just the right age and physical growth development
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Connacht have done a great bit of business over the course of the lockdown.
I have been very impressed by the 3 Munster players heading Up to Galway.
Arnold is obviously a serious talent, and had he been fit you’d imagine that he would have gathered a few more caps over the last year.

Oliver is a very good openside, a real groundhog and has good gas. Might never be international level but a good addition to their squad.

Wooton is a great player, real spark about him. Has a great turn of pace and an ability to make something of nothing.
I do hope that we see Wooton back in red. A good run of games with Connacht will really help his development, and with Earls coming to the end of his career, wooton might find himself slotting in there.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Loans in Ireland are one way moves rather than sitting out the end of a contract.

We should automatically plan for loan players not coming back.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: July 4th, 2020, 10:42 am Connacht have done a great bit of business over the course of the lockdown.
I have been very impressed by the 3 Munster players heading Up to Galway.
Arnold is obviously a serious talent, and had he been fit you’d imagine that he would have gathered a few more caps over the last year.

Oliver is a very good openside, a real groundhog and has good gas. Might never be international level but a good addition to their squad.

Wooton is a great player, real spark about him. Has a great turn of pace and an ability to make something of nothing.
I do hope that we see Wooton back in red. A good run of games with Connacht will really help his development, and with Earls coming to the end of his career, wooton might find himself slotting in there.
Connacht have gutted their squad and signed young very much surplus talent. There are 2 24 year old journeymen already on their 3rd province. These guys have more rugby to give and are somewhat talented but it’s hard to go anywhere living on scraps.

If these guys improve with quality game time/responsibility they can supplement the Connacht academy.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by ronk

Connacht have gutted their squad and signed young very much surplus talent. There are 2 24 year old journeymen already on their 3rd province. These guys have more rugby to give and are somewhat talented but it’s hard to go anywhere living on scraps.

If these guys improve with quality game time/responsibility they can supplement the Connacht academy.
Agreed. The new stadium build is eating into the budget. The hope is to find some diamonds in the rough, keep being competitive and when the new stadium is built kick on from there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Their response to a wide budget crisis is to cut costs and accelerate rebuilding from the academy.

It's probably the right move whether forced or not. Really tough on a load of guys released in their prime but it can't be helped.

Connacht wont get a better opportunity for a reset to youth.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: July 6th, 2020, 6:21 am
by ronk

Agreed. The new stadium build is eating into the budget. The hope is to find some diamonds in the rough, keep being competitive and when the new stadium is built kick on from there.
I would not look negatively on anything that Connacht have done so far.
They have been fairly ruthless with cutting lads they seem as surplus, and have signed some very talented players.
If Arnold can stay fit, I definitely think that he will add to his cap count. As a Munster fan I am sorry to see him go, but I can see why he didn’t stay.

If they use Oliver to his strengths, which is as a groundhog 7, then that will definitely improve their breakdown.

The 2 Fitzgerald’s have bags of talent, and look like Connacht is the perfect fit for them.

IMO, if they can get their hands on a top class 8 then they have the makings of a very competitive team, all while having a wage bill which is a fraction of most other teams.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm Some good news

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home ... m=facebook
5,000-capacity arena. Finally, somewhere to play their Pro14 games.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

John Ryan out injured for the next while. Looks like Salanoa might get some gametime sooner than he hoped for.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Yup
Last edited by munster#1 on July 15th, 2020, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

munster#1 wrote: July 15th, 2020, 8:03 pm
blockhead wrote: July 14th, 2020, 11:48 pm
munster#1 wrote: July 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm Some good news

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home ... m=facebook
5,000-capacity arena. Finally, somewhere to play their Pro14 games.
Not a bad idea
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _transfers

Just looking at the munster ins and outs. It's been a good transfer window. De Allende for Arnold and Snyman for DOS are big upgrades.

Knox and Salanoa are replacing Parker and injury hit Scott so that's another area upgraded. Not sure what Salanoa is like yet but theres plenty of hype around him.

Gallagher could be decent. Stood out for Saracens in Thomond last year but he was only their 4th or 5th choice fullback.

Botha is a loss but the backrow looks healthy now with plenty of options. Jack O'Sullivan looks good athlete though he is not be the biggest.

Of the others, McHenry might surprise people. He looks quick and has some talent. Same with Barron. I think the 4 hookers are all different types but no stand outs in terms of challenging for an ireland spot. Hopefully Barron can. He looks like he has a bit of pace. Liam Coombes looks interesting too. He's big and he's fast but what his all round game is like I dont know.

So munster will be stronger when the season resumes. Synman for me is the best signing in a long long time. Holland has been great and is a good squad man but we needed some more size in the second row. Ahern and Synman in 2021 would be great to see.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Definite improvements alright. The squad looks much stronger.

Pressure is on JVG now to deliver something.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: July 15th, 2020, 8:31 pm Definite improvements alright. The squad looks much stronger.

Pressure is on JVG now to deliver something.
Most teams in Europe will sign some big names over the next few months, but only one team can win the European Cup.
Munster have all of the ingredients to win a European Cup, but so will a number of other clubs.

I hope that the rugby public do not turn into soccer fans and try run him Van Grann out if Munster do not have instant success.