A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by curates_egg »

The Doc wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:30 am
curates_egg wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 9:28 am
What you are suggesting would not comply with the current guidelines on people arriving into Ireland: I know because I went through them.
So what you are suggesting is an exception for a rugby team.
How does it not comply with current guidelines....
HSE wrote: Most people who arrive in Ireland from another country need to restrict their movements for 14 days.

This includes:
Irish citizens coming home
people with no symptoms
people who have tested negative for the virus in another country

Restricting your movements means staying at home and avoiding contact with other people and social situations as much as possible.

Do not:
use public transport
visit others
meet face-to-face with anyone who is at higher risk from coronavirus
go to the shop unless absolutely necessary - wear a face covering if you do

You can travel to where you plan to restrict your movements. But avoid using public transport if possible. Ask a relative or household member to collect you when you arrive in Ireland. Household members who were not travelling with you do not need to restrict their movements.
McCann Fitzgerald legal advice wrote: If an international passenger’s stay in the State will be for less than 14 days, the residence at the specified temporary “place of residence” is to be for the entire duration of the person’s stay in the State.
Because playing a rugby game is not restricting your movement and avoiding social situations.
It also absolutely definitely involves doing two of the 'do nots'.
'Do not visit others,' being the blindingly obvious one.
'Do not meet face-to-face with anyone who is at higher risk from coronavirus to you,' given the different health issues affecting rugby players (e.g. those with asthma) and the different age levels of match officials.

So, what you are in favour of is an exception. And I would support you in that.
However, I don't think that rugby should be the top priority for exceptions. I believe family visits, for example, should certainly take preference.
I am also pretty sure the general public does not agree with easing travel restrictions, because they have not even been presented with it as an option yet.

It is pretty clear that rugby players travelling to Ireland from a high-risk region like England, to play a rugby game, in which they will be in close physical and social contact with at least 24 members of the Irish public, pose a greater risk than many other potential visitors to the country.
If I socially isolate for two weeks before visiting Ireland from south Brussels, a region with far lower infection rates than most English regions, I am far less of a risk...but I am expected to observe the guidelines.
Last edited by curates_egg on July 22nd, 2020, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:27 am The final stages of the Champions League and Europa League (from the quarter-finals onwards) will be played in one country next month. CL in Portugal, EL in Germany.
That, to me, seems like the logical solution for the champions cup.

It doesn't solve the problem of the Pro14 for Irish teams though.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

curates_egg wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 1:00 pm
Because playing a rugby game is not restricting your movement and avoiding social situations.
'Do not meet face-to-face with anyone who is at higher risk from coronavirus to you,' given the different health issues affecting rugby players (e.g. those with asthma) and the different age levels of match officials.

However, I don't think that rugby should be the top priority for exceptions. I believe family visits, for example, should certainly take preference.
I am also pretty sure the general public does not agree with easing travel restrictions, because they have not even been presented with it as an option yet.

It is pretty clear that rugby players travelling to Ireland from a high-risk region like England, to play a rugby game, in which they will be in close physical and social contact with at least 24 members of the Irish public, pose a greater risk than many other potential visitors to the country.
If I socially isolate for two weeks before visiting Ireland from south Brussels, a region with far lower infection rates than most English regions, I am far less of a risk...but I am expected to observe the guidelines.
Did you miss the bit where I said this...
The Doc wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:30 am ...
A separate question is about playing a game - and given the IRFU have agreed a schedule with the HSE then I have to assume there is an agreed protocol around the ongoing environment of continuous checks on both teams.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

The Doc wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 1:14 pm
curates_egg wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 1:00 pm

Did you miss the bit where I said this...
The Doc wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:30 am ...
A separate question is about playing a game - and given the IRFU have agreed a schedule with the HSE then I have to assume there is an agreed protocol around the ongoing environment of continuous checks on both teams.
Such a protocol would - by definition - be an exception to the current rules.
Again, you and I are in favour of that. I am in favour of it, so long as visiting family members have a similar protocol.
However, I am not convinced the general public, which has been told that international travel is a grave threat to Ireland's policy of coronavirus elimination, will accept such exceptions.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

They could come over on the ferry Stranraer-Larne and then truck down the A1, as Arlene is keeping the sea border and Michelle the land one open.
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

curates_egg wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 1:03 pm
cormac wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:27 am The final stages of the Champions League and Europa League (from the quarter-finals onwards) will be played in one country next month. CL in Portugal, EL in Germany.

That is literally what I suggested and you said it wouldn't work
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Workhorse wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 4:36 pm
curates_egg wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 1:03 pm

That is literally what I suggested and you said it wouldn't work
It can work only for a limited number of teams. So it could work for knockout rounds, if the teams agree on a venue.
For the Champions Cup, they only just reconfirmed the venues - all separate.

Even if they change tack and agree that all eight teams go to one jurisdiction, and you want that venue to be Ireland, then you still need an exception to the travel guidance. If it’s not Ireland, the returning Irish teams will also need exceptions.
So, we start going round in circles again. I’m in favour of it, and so are you.

However, it cannot work for the coming season of the Pro14 or Champions Cup.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Everyone know the difference between a guideline and a law, right? There's nothing to stop an eu citizen from coming here. Other than pre existing laws.

Also there's nothing in the guidelines to stop a team coming over here and training in carton House for 3 days.

All that's needed is a protocol to govern the game. Restriction of movement (apart from the travel) and testing before and after should cover it. Would the government approve such a thing? I think the moral boost to the population would be a high priority.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

curates_egg wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 8:13 pm
It can work only for a limited number of teams. So it could work for knockout rounds, if the teams agree on a venue.
For the Champions Cup, they only just reconfirmed the venues - all separate.

Even if they change tack and agree that all eight teams go to one jurisdiction, and you want that venue to be Ireland, then you still need an exception to the travel guidance. If it’s not Ireland, the returning Irish teams will also need exceptions.
So, we start going round in circles again. I’m in favour of it, and so are you.

However, it cannot work for the coming season of the Pro14 or Champions Cup.
I suggested it for the remaining knockout European games...

We wouldn't be going around in circles if you didn't shoot something down the agree to the exact same thing not 5 posts later
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Watching Hurricanes v Crusaders, I'm struck (yet again) by the effectiveness of Arnie Savea off the back of the Hurricanes scrum and how much we need to see that from Conan or Doris -whoever gets the 8 jersey.

Our scrum should be solid against Sarries and if we can get our No 8 making serious ground behind their back-row and also commiting their mid-field to defending against our back-row, it really can create opportunities.

The entire Hurricanes back-row have explosive pace over 10-15m and there's no reason why we can't duplicate that and use it offensively.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

So this is gonna be on 7 days after the Pro14 final? If so and we make the final I guess we’re resting players in the final for this one?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

James Ryan has dislocated his shoulder in training. Massive blow for us.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

bluemagic wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:34 pm James Ryan has dislocated his shoulder in training. Massive blow for us.
That's a fuppin' disaster alright :(
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Balls that's a huge blow.

Be interesting to see how Baird steps up, big opportunity for him now.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: July 27th, 2020, 6:36 pm Balls that's a huge blow.

Be interesting to see how Baird steps up, big opportunity for him now.
Yeah, it's small crumbs of comfort but at least we get to plan without him (JR) now, which is better then a week or two before the game.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

bluemagic wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:34 pm James Ryan has dislocated his shoulder in training. Massive blow for us.
Is this confirmed?

He was out riding a horse at the weekend. Would hardly be doing that if he had dislocated his shoulder. Or maybe he would. Never rode a horse in my life!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

elephantman wrote: July 27th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Is this confirmed?

He was out riding a horse at the weekend. Would hardly be doing that if he had dislocated his shoulder. Or maybe he would. Never rode a horse in my life!
How'd ye know about the horse riding em?
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

LeinsterLeader wrote: July 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm
elephantman wrote: July 27th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Is this confirmed?

How'd ye know about the horse riding em?
My brother told me. He saw it on social media. I’m allergic to social media so not sure which platform.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Yeah JR doesn't look like his injured going by recent social media.. but then who knows.. maybe we will get an injury update today.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I imagine James Ryan's horse must be an animal of some substance.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.