Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Connacht 2019/20

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote: July 17th, 2020, 7:15 am Glad all you guys are so optimistic. TBH I'm not but I hope it works out for Connacht.

I'm not optimistic that Connacht will be challenging for the pro14 for a while but I think they're doing the right thing. They're gambling on potential talent while possibly lowering the wage bill at the same time. They have to gamble and are in a good position to do so considering they're not really under too much pressure to win things.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 06343.html

Connacht article in the indo today. Andy Friend seems a genuine guy and an impressive, thoughful coach but he comes across as supplicant to the Irish coaching set up/Nucifora here. Are you guys getting a sense of this on the ground? Ive listened a lot to his interviews since he landed in Ireland and he seems very much in the Lancaster mold of being super skills orientated and having all aspects of the players lifestyle humming in order to produce on the pitch.

With the loss of Aki, Dillane and Roux I think there is a chance for a couple of Connact players to break through, the expectations have not been set yet so it is a chance to play with zero pressure. I can only speak for myself but Pat Lams Connacht was a real rugby team and if we had to loose to anyone in '16 at least it was ye. Is the plan as you see it to give Friend the time to emulate the Pat Lam ethos and system? And specifically with regard to the article and connacht centers, do you see Sammy Arnold as the replacement for Aki? I seem to remember there was and extremely jacked center (not sure if it was Peter Robb) coming through when I was last in the sportsgrounds a few years ago, is he still a prospect?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lam was a prestige coach on a mission to improve Connacht and had resources thrown at him.

Friend is in a different position and has more sustainable goals. He's an IRFU man and I think that's a good thing. Develop skills and players and see where that takes you. Connacht have built enough support that they can grow more organically.

Connacht have done well to add depth in the Irish setup and even a few of the guys who didn't get a look in were there is they were needed.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Up Wexford

I seem to remember there was and extremely jacked center (not sure if it was Peter Robb) coming through when I was last in the sportsgrounds a few years ago, is he still a prospect?
It was Peter Robb. He's a good player but incredibly injury prone.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

I think friend will do just grand but one of the biggest issues out west has been a crippling injury list. They’ve had no consistency of selection for almost 2 years. Unlikely to have bundee for all except big games. Actually think Farrell and Arnold could dovetail well.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Connacht may suffer from a lack of quality depth at Out Half, and Second Row - particularly on the tight head side. Of the players released this summer, Godwin will certainly be missed and was probably as influential to Connacht in the last two seasons as Fardy was to Leinster.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Ah cheers, I was reluctant to say it was Robb as he must have been only 21-22 at that stage and had biceps the size of popeye
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Sugary tae wrote: July 30th, 2020, 1:37 pm I think friend will do just grand but one of the biggest issues out west has been a crippling injury list. They’ve had no consistency of selection for almost 2 years. Unlikely to have bundee for all except big games. Actually think Farrell and Arnold could dovetail well.
We had a remarkably good run injury-wise in 2018/19.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Connacht looked good against Ulster. They look fresh and recharged after the long break and if any team needed it it was Connacht because of their small squad.

They have been very good in their signings. They've a big squad now, full of young players and there will be good competition for places. They were fairly ruthless in cutting some of the more established players like Niyi, McKeon, Leader etc and lost McCartney to retirement and Fainga'a but many players cut were injury prone with their best days behind them and many were squad players who probably were not at the level required. Theyve replaced them with quality youngsters and are benefitting from Leinsters strength in depth and even munsters strength in certain areas.

They definitely look like a team now who can be more consistent and will be a banana skin for many big sides.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Irish Times wrote: Potential landmark case

Not to put a dampener on the return of rugby but Dave McSharry’s legal action against the IRFU and Aviva could have massive ramifications for the sport, specifically for players seeking to insure themselves against concussion.

What we have learned over the years – Cillian Willis versus Sale Sharks and the family of 14-year-old Ben Robinson who died during a schools game in 2011 – is such proceedings take years to reach any sort of conclusion and that the cost is extremely high, financially and psychologically.

“Rugby players who leave the sport due to a career-ending injury can be paid multiples of their salary through their insurance policies,” wrote Aaron Rogan in the Sunday Business Post. “Players who retire due to concussion, however, generally only do so when they have suffered a number of head injuries, meaning their condition may instead be classified as a repetitive injury by insurers.”

McSharry – a talented centre who came through Templeogue College and UCD before Connacht snapped him up – was forced to retire in 2016 after sustaining four concussions over a 12-month period. A professional player taking the IRFU to court over head trauma would be a landmark case that will be watched with great interest by all, especially parents.
Ouch. Wonder how much this will cost the IRFU
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great team performance by Connacht - in absolutely stunning Galway weather in front of spectators - against a seriously experienced and hard-nosed Glasgow Warriors squad.

The transformation in performance after half-time was impressive and Andy Friend and Jaryd Butler deserve huge credit. Lots of really good performances but the overall impression was of teamwork and players with confiwithe in each other.

A good few Connacht players with international experience put up their hands. Marmion & Carty were impressive. Bealham & Roux were physical and skillful. Aki and Farrell imposed their strength and skills in mid-field. Connacht currently have two genuine contenders for the No 2 shirt.

Delighted for Butler & Friend and all that Squad. A really good start to their Season
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:43 am Great team performance by Connacht - in absolutely stunning Galway weather in front of spectators - against a seriously experienced and hard-nosed Glasgow Warriors squad.

The transformation in performance after half-time was impressive and Andy Friend and Jaryd Butler deserve huge credit. Lots of really good performances but the overall impression was of teamwork and players with confidence in each other.

A good few Connacht players with international experience put up their hands. Marmion & Carty were impressive. Bealham & Roux were physical and skillful. Aki and Farrell imposed their strength and skills in mid-field. Connacht currently have two genuine contenders for the No 2 shirt.

Delighted for Butler & Friend and all that Squad. A really good start to their Season
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

Great team performance by Connacht - in absolutely stunning Galway weather in front of spectators - against a seriously experienced and hard-nosed Glasgow Warriors squad.

The transformation in performance after half-time was impressive and Andy Friend and Jaryd Butler deserve huge credit. Lots of really good performances but the overall impression was of teamwork and players with confiwithe in each other.

Would definitely have Roux in my squad for the Internationals, just for his scrumaging abilities alone.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Tom Farrell is one of the most underrated players in Irish rugby imo. Would love to see him get a chance with Ireland.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

Marmion has to be the form 9 in the country now, with JGP not that far behind. But we all know that Murrray will get the nod when Farrell picks his team for the first international with Marmion on the bench. Cooney has to rediscover last year's form if he's to be in contention, sorry but Luke McG is way down the pecking order now and it's way too early to pitch Casey into an Ireland shirt.

Lot of Connacht lads put their hand up for the internationals. Obviously Bundee was outstanding, but Tom Farrell was also excellent and in the pack, Heffernan, Bealham, Roux and Thornbury did their prospects no harm
IanD
Official Mascot

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by IanD »

Connacht have scored 3 trys and with 36 minutes gone are 23 - 7 ahead.

The first try by Blade is a contender for try of the season. Great individual try.

The second try was created by great link play and a wonderful kick through.

Third try was great too. Line out turnover in their own half some great passing across the field and over in the corner.

Blade is having a Stormer. Passing in crisp and accurate and defence is great too.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Connacht are playing lovely enterprising rugby.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently Connacht are looking for dispensation to sign a short-term second row. I wonder will they be allowed between Covid and everything else? Or will it be 'suck it up your not Munster'.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Connacht Benetton on Sunday P-P due to you know what. Cases in Benetton camp.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Connacht Rugby can confirm Cormac Daly(North Kildare/Clontarf) has joined the province on a short-term deal.