A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster in the Aviva, August 22nd, 7.35pm KO

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote: August 17th, 2020, 11:41 am
munster#1 wrote: August 17th, 2020, 11:33 am
bluemagic wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:54 am You’d wonder how long Munsters reliance on foreign players is sustainable. If you look at their match day 23 who is the young top talent they’re getting through. I reckon if they don’t win a trophy in the next 2 years they’ll be in big trouble
Munster’s current model of player salary is probably as Financially sustainable as any with the exception of Leinster, who are close to self sustaining, and are massively subsidised through central contracts.

Of the for foreign players that Munster have on their books, CJ is centrally contracted, the 2 World Cup winners are also free as they are paid by private money, the rest are likely to be on fairly low salaries (I personally don’t know the figures) as most of them were project players.
You could argue that Munster saved money on signing foreign project players, as they didn’t have to invest money in them during their early careers.

Munster have also significantly reduced their player numbers by about 8 senior contracted players, as well as stream lining the academy, which surely brought about large savings.

It would be interesting to compare the salaries of the four provinces to see how the stack up.

Of course, there are issues outside of the financial impact, but that is a separate conversation.
"FREE"
The most abused word in the English language.
Ok, free is maybe a poor choice of word.
Probably should have said that the 2 new saffers do not have a direct implication on the player salary budget, as their salaries are covered by outside investment.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of Saturday’s eagerly-anticipated Guinness PRO14 game against Munster Rugby at the Aviva Stadium (Kick-Off: 7.35pm – Live on eir Sport & RTÉ Radio).

Unfortunately, the update is not positive for a number of players with both Fergus McFadden and Conor O’Brien ruled out of contention.

McFadden picked up a calf injury and will be unavailable for up to six weeks, while O’Brien had a procedure last week on a long-standing hamstring issue and is expected to be unavailable for a number of months.

There was also an update on Vakh Abdaladze’s long-standing back issue with the 24-year-old prop due to have a procedure this week to address the injury. There will be clarity on his expected return to play time following the procedure.

There was some positive news on the injury front with Peter Dooley expected to return to training this week after a shoulder injury, with Dan Leavy also continuing his progress and his gradual exposure to rugby training as he recovers from his knee injury.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

b*%&!cks. That's not good news on Ferg & COB.
Two guys who would've seen a good bit of gametime in the next few weeks/months.

Shocker for Ferg, hope this isn't the last we see of him in blue.

We're very light at 12 now with Tomane & COB gone.
Might see ROL slot in there a bit.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gutted for Ferg, but his face is okay then he should still be able to tackle really!

Huge opportunity for Frawley at 12 and TOB at 13, plus ROL of course.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 17th, 2020, 3:11 pm Gutted for Ferg, but his face is okay then he should still be able to tackle really!

Are Tommy and Jimmy O'Brien 13's only?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: August 17th, 2020, 3:16 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 17th, 2020, 3:11 pm Gutted for Ferg, but his face is okay then he should still be able to tackle really!

Are Tommy and Jimmy O'Brien 13's only?
Tommy can play 12/13

Jimmy could play 12 but i'd say it's unlikely.

Henshaw, ROL, Frawley, TOB.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Well, win, lose or draw, I can not wait for this game.
To finally be able to sit and watch a game of rugby again can not come soon enough.

Given the large break since the last game, and the ins and outs of both provinces, this game is very hard to call.
Sure Munster have made 2 great signings, but with no game time under their belts and limited time learning how Munster play I think that they will have little impact.

Leinster losing Ferg and ryan will be a bit of a hit, and given that they have 2 to 3 more games than Munster have, Leinster will most likely be managing players game time, meaning that we may see an almost full Munster team and a slightly less than full Leinster team.

One interesting thing will be injuries.
I was talking with a physio who has a couple of practices in Cork.
They were saying that they are seeing a phenomenal number of players coming in with injuries.
The lack of full on training and going straight into competitive games is taking its toll.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 17th, 2020, 2:51 pm ... O’Brien had a procedure last week on a long-standing hamstring issue and is expected to be unavailable for a number of months.
If this was, as quoted above,a 'long-standing hamstring issue' why oh why oh why do you wait until the week before the season restarts to have it looked at! Maybe it's just me but surely he could have had the procedure 20 odd weeks ago?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Xanthippe wrote: August 17th, 2020, 4:12 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: August 17th, 2020, 2:51 pm ... O’Brien had a procedure last week on a long-standing hamstring issue and is expected to be unavailable for a number of months.
If this was, as quoted above,a 'long-standing hamstring issue' why oh why oh why do you wait until the week before the season restarts to have it looked at! Maybe it's just me but surely he could have had the procedure 20 odd weeks ago?
Yeah that sounds a bit weird to me too.

Was it to do with 'elective' surgery being stopped in covid times?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Because the hospitals have been empty for months. Elective surgery was not an option until about a month ago.

As frustrating as it is for athletes, there is a looming crisis of delayed diagnoses and treatments of serious illnesses. Depending on your perspective, it’s a scandal/tragedy.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

It can be adopting less invasive rehab/individual loading/S&C plans for a period of time and hoping the issue will resolve.

It's not like a car where a part is f*&ked and you can drive it put you're only putting off the inevitable.

Depending on the issue surgery can have a long rehabilitation time with middling chance of improvement too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: August 17th, 2020, 11:33 am
You could argue that Munster saved money on signing foreign project players, as they didn’t have to invest money in them during their early careers.

..., as well as stream lining the academy, which surely brought about large savings.
A good wind up can be a priority, but did you not feel dirty writing that?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Munster are going to announce soon that Carbery will be our for an indefinite period. I have to say I feel sorry for him....

Expect Munster to come sniffing from our stock now though with bleyndall and carbery potentially not being available next year
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

bluemagic wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:25 am Munster are going to announce soon that Carbery will be our for an indefinite period. I have to say I feel sorry for him....

Expect Munster to come sniffing from our stock now though with bleyndall and carbery potentially not being available next year

Watch now as all the blame gets put on Joe Schmidt by the red army.

That is a big blow though if true. JJ is nowhere near that level.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

bluemagic wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:25 am Munster are going to announce soon that Carbery will be our for an indefinite period. I have to say I feel sorry for him....

This is getting worrying now tbh.

I don’t think the IRFU have handled Carbery very well.

From the pressure to move province when he was progressing very nicely at Leinster to being taken to the World Cup when he clearly wasn’t fit.

Not good at all. Let’s hope he gets back playing soon.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

All Limerick refereeing team for Saturday. Andy Brace in the middle with George Clancy and Joy Neville doing the line.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:53 am All Limerick refereeing team for Saturday. Andy Brace in the middle with George Clancy and Joy Neville doing the line.

Hmm where did you spot that one Mildly? :lol:
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Confirmed.

https://twitter.com/munsterrugby/status ... 38848?s=21
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

bluemagic wrote: August 18th, 2020, 11:36 am

Confirmed.

https://twitter.com/munsterrugby/status ... 38848?s=21
No more toys for Munster until they stop breaking them.
mildlyinterested wrote: August 18th, 2020, 10:53 am All Limerick refereeing team for Saturday. Andy Brace in the middle with George Clancy and Joy Neville doing the line.
Would be fairly shocking if true - if there's any credibility gap for this league it's allowing referees from a place to referee that place as a matter of course.
Anyone But New Zealand
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Kind of odd statement from Munster.

It’s a bit unusual to see a player quoted on an injury update.