Leinster v Salarysins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Salarysins

Post by wixfjord »

elephantman wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 1:31 pm
wixfjord wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 1:16 pm Looking more and more likely we'll see a back three of Lowe, RK, Larmour for this one?

Both with DK's injury but also we could really do with some of RK's aerial threat and presence imo.

Hopefully he's up for a swansong...
Looks that way but wouldn’t be surprised to see Cian Kelleher play his way in there.

CK is certain to get some game time over the next few weeks. We’re looking a bit light in numbers in the back three.

Andrew Smith might be needed too.
Yeah Kelleher has a big opportunity now. He was going really well pre-lockdown so hopefully can step up.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Definitely think CK is in the hot seat now and in fairness him being as good as he has had pushed DK to playing the top rugby he was doing. Rob would be a safe safe choice with no attacking benefits whereas picking CK would Give us more attacking options in back 3
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

One more big game in the tank from Rob................
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Sarries look like a huge challenge a few weeks out.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 27th, 2020, 11:05 am Sarries look like a huge challenge a few weeks out.
That was always the case, seeing as how they're reigning European champions. Sure, they mullered Quins at the weekend and looked seriously impressive. Less impressive however was their performance against Bristol. I watched both matches and my current feeling is that they are by no means the unbeatable "wolf pack" of English rugby commentators' wet dreams. We should have enough to win this match - it will however be a more difficult task than two years ago.
Last edited by riocard911 on August 27th, 2020, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Some commentators continue to underate the attacking qualities of Rob Kearney. Let's hope that forthcoming opponents do likewise, as both will be mistaken.

Throughout his career with Leinster and Ireland, RK has contributed vital tries and numerous assists. True, there have been many occasions when he could have passed to a team-mate in setting up counter-attacks rather than carry back into contact, but inevitably when he took contact, his team regained possession in better shape than when he fielded the high kick or regained possession in glorious isolation.

Kearney's fielding and pitch coverage are imperious. The latter skill has been embellished by the experiences he has endured and thrived in. Certainly he is not a player for the future but his form immediately prior to Covid-19 showed that he is still very much a player of the present and one who can enhance any team in counteracting the most prevalent tactic of the modern era - The Box Kick.

Munster used it last week. Ulster will use it next Saturday and Sarries will certainly use it come September. I fervently hope Leinster use Rob to nullify the value of this tactic to Leinster's key opponents during this end-phase of the 2019-20 Season.
Wanderers FC
Beginner

Post by Wanderers FC »

There is a valid argument for bringing Kearney in against Saracens. Indeed I think he should be kept on another year or even two such is the youthful makeup of our current back 3 options. We need his experience to teach the upcoming players both his positioning skills and gathering/catching technique which he uses his body as a shield.

If we go with Keenan and Kelleher they will be targeted. Kelleher was shaky under the high ball at Connacht and even went with the terrible technique that Andrew Conway sometimes uses of catching the ball above the head like a GAA player. I won’t go into why it can work in GAA and not in rugby but you need a player to secure high balls in the basket and use their body as a shield for incoming impact. The body should be facing sideways so if they drop the ball it falls backwards. This is good technique that I wonder how some pros don’t action in games.

Kearney should be coaching these things to his understudies but I think either he isn’t telling them his trademark technique or they aren’t learning. I think it’s a mix of both
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Absolutely agree with the above, have to go with Kearney at FB. Watched Saracens V Bristol and even with their losses they are still the best defensive team in Europe. Their system is as difficult to break as ever and they advance inevitably 10/15m at a time through box kicks, Vunipolas, blockdowns, and I think we just have to go with RK to control the backfield like only he can. Larmour and Lowe on the wing still provides the attacking threat we need to break them down, but it will be our toughest challenge yet.

Again, to echo the above would love to see Kearney pass on his knowledge
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

McCall revealed that fly-half Owen Farrell and prop Mako Vunipola should recover from respective thigh and back injuries in time to face Wasps on Saturday, which he said would be treated as the final run-out for his first-choice XV before Leinster.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 27th, 2020, 11:57 am Certainly he is not a player for the future but his form immediately prior to Covid-19 showed that he is still very much a player of the present and one who can enhance any team in counteracting the most prevalent tactic of the modern era - The Box Kick.

I think there's solid logic to starting RK against Sarries.

But I'm not sure what 'form' prior to covid you're pointing to there RTB?

He has been pretty iffy all season and even last weekend was probably our most anonymous player at the weekend and hasn't shown much of those 'attacking qualities' since the WC.

Hopefully he has one or two last big performances in him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I imagine this isn't far off the side we will see in two weeks.
Saracens
15 Alex Goode (299)
14 Alex Lewington (50)
13 Elliot Daly (9)
12 Brad Barritt (259)
11 Sean Maitland (76)
10 Owen Farrell (200)
9 Aled Davies (3)
1 Richard Barrington (191)
2 Jamie George (229)
3 Vincent Koch (84)
4 Maro Itoje (122)
5 Tim Swinson (2)
6 Mike Rhodes (96)
7 Jackson Wray (248)
8 Billy Vunipola (113)
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Aled Davies has gone off injured on 29 minutes
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Farrell sent off for a high tackle. That should be more than a two week ban
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Awful tackle from Farrell - who had look seriously out of sorts up to then.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oh my goodness! That was awful from Farrell.
https://www.ruck.co.uk/watch-owen-farre ... -vs-wasps/
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

That is shocking hope Atkinson is ok
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

I seriously doubt he’ll miss the quarter
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Jonny tight lips wrote: September 5th, 2020, 2:35 pm I seriously doubt he’ll miss the quarter
Saracens don’t have the friends they used to.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

https://twitter.com/AndyGoode10/status/ ... 7987313664

Red card for Faz today, pretty shocking tackle. Could be a ban incoming.

Wasps beat them 28-18 away.
Last edited by wixfjord on September 5th, 2020, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Contrast the following from yesterday's Grauniad with the incessant denigration of the Pro 14 by the Nigels:

Exeter's seconds just too good for Saints as they march on towards title

- Northampton 19-22 Exeter
- Exeter win for fifth time in a row since restart

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ards-title