Penny
McGrath
Byrne
JOB
joooooe
Enlightened

Re: Ulster v Leinster Sat 29th 19:35

Post by joooooe »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:24 am Possible bench?

Dooley
Tracey
Bent
Doris
Penny
McGrath
Byrne
JOB
There's something comforting about a bench that begins "Dooley, Tracy, Bent,..."

My dad can list off the starting XI from the Shamrock Rovers team that won 6 FAI Cups in a row in the 60s: It begins "Dunne, Keogh,..." and ends "...Bailham, Ambrose and Touhy".

In 50 years my kids will be reminding people how their dad could list off the Leinster starters and bench from their glorious COVID-interrupted 2017 to 2020 (and beyond) seasons: "Dooley, Tracy, Bent,..."
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Rob Kearney (218)
14. Hugo Keenan (14)
13. Rory O’Loughlin (67)
12. Ciarán Frawley (25)
11. Cian Kelleher (14)
10. Ross Byrne (85)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (89)
1. Ed Byrne (53) CAPTAIN
2. Seán Cronin (182)
3. Michael Bent (136)
4. Devin Toner (245)
5. Ross Molony (95)
6. Josh Murphy (32)
7. Will Connors (16)
8. Max Deegan (63)

16. James Tracy (108)
17. Michael Milne (8)
18. Tom Clarkson (0)
19. Rhys Ruddock (172)
20. Scott Penny (13)
21. Rowan Osborne (4)
22. Harry Byrne (9)
23. Jimmy O’Brien (17)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on August 28th, 2020, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ulster team to play Leinster, Guinness PRO14 Round 15, Saturday 29 August at Aviva Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm, live on Premier Sports & eir Sport):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Rob Lyttle, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter (Capt.), Kieran Treadwell, Matthew Rea, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Kyle McCall, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Louis Ludik.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

No Furlong...back issues persist, worrying.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 28th, 2020, 12:02 pm No Furlong...back issues persist, worrying.
very
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Ulster at near full strength v leinster seconds. But a very good seconds!!! Should be interesting as if ulster lose this one then they are heading into a couple of massive weeks in poor enough form. Madigan and cooney will be good to watch if they click. Our back row will need big games up against a first choice ulster back row. Cant wait!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

could very easily lose this.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Some comeback for Ed Byrne to be captaining us in a game like this after all this injury problems, must be a very impressive guy. Excited to see Clarkson make his debut too. Famous last words but he just seems like someone who’ll be able to slot in very quickly. I’m not saying he’ll be as prominent as he was for the 20s and I’m sure he’ll have bad days in the scrum, but I’m certainly not worried about him.

I’d have picked Rhys but the pack has a nice balance to it and that back row looks really good. Very physical on the flanks and then you’ve got Max’s footballing ability.

Not sure what the forecast is like but if it doesn’t improve significantly then I think we’ll have a big advantage at ten. Can’t wait to see Harry off the bench too.

I’d have liked to have seen TOB on the bench but that starting back line looks excellent. Hope Frawley goes well and becomes a real option at 12, and that Rob hits the ground running and signs off in style.

Ulster will be very fired up after getting a bollocking last weekend but it’ll be good to see Josh, Connors, and ROL trying to smash them back.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

This is gonna be a tough one, excited to see Keenan at 14. I see Munster went full bore against Connacht, hopefully the 5 day turnaround catches up with them next week. Furlong a big worry
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Very interesting choice of Captain and no room for Rhys in the starting XV.

We have enough up front to get sufficient ball if our line-out functions. Excellent prospects in the back-line but JGP only operates at optimum level when the ball is good quality.

A tasty encounter is in prospect.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Osborne an interesting selection too. He really seems to have jumped the queue to be third choice now.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

This looks great - little nervous about Toner in there as he is now gold dust important for Sarries (assuming Ryan isn't back) but he has to get some pitch time.....Will be very interested to see how Rob goes.......
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Now this is a massive test of our unbeaten record!

Big opportunity for guys to stick the lamh up here. Hopefully the coaches have them chomping and ready to go.

Really interested again to see our attacking kicking game with Byrne and Frawley.

I assume the plan is to have Dev off at 55/60 and then stick Josh into the second row with the other two lads coming in?

Also very excited to see how Deegan goes against Coetzee. These are the types of games we need to see him put in dominant performances if he's to come good on his potential.

Overall, I think I'd be delighted to win this rather than being overly confident...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

No game time for Dooley either. strange.
meathman3
Bookworm

Post by meathman3 »

Big risk being taken with our unbeaten record. Reckon after Fardy and Lowe's performances last week both should have gotten extra gametime.

Toner and Kearney will be both looking for big performances but both will be up against it surrounded by inexperienced players.

Kearney could be playing for last time so shocked but not surprised he wasn't given the chance to captain.

Ulster looking to right the wrongs of last week and practically at full strength, so can't see this going well.

Madigan back in a 10 jersey - renewing his one time dynamic partnership with Cooney who himself has improved so much - one to watch.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leo Cullen says tomorrow’s game was too soon for Tadhg Furlong, who is carrying a back injury.

Good news for Dave Kearney whose hamstring injury is not as bad as first feared. Will be out for a few weeks as opposed to months.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

As they say, would be a good one to win.....these winning records can become a yoke around your neck so important not to get too stressed about it !!

Still think we might have just enough to get across the line - Deegan, Frawley , ROL, Connors etc will be busting a gut to make an impression......

Hopefully Furlong not being involved is 'erring on the safe' side......
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 28th, 2020, 12:30 pm Osborne an interesting selection too. He really seems to have jumped the queue to be third choice now.
He showed great temprament down in Thomond Park
I have Bumbleflex
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Well that match was far, far better than it had any right to be!

After a six month break from competitive rugby, you expected some rust and there were some early knock-ons from both sides. But once the game got going it was a bloody good contest which strangely still followed the pattern of recent games at the Aviva between the two teams. It was tight enough for the first quarter but then Leinster took a decent lead after half-time but then had to struggle to hold on at the end.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.