Ulster v Leinster Sat 29th 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluemagic
Enlightened

Re: Ulster v Leinster Sat 29th 19:35

Post by bluemagic »

I honestly can’t get over how good porridge is every time I see him play. It’s getting hard to leave him out of our Heineken cup 23 these days. Is he ready for a big heineken cup game against a big pack?
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

bluemagic wrote: August 30th, 2020, 10:16 am I honestly can’t get over how good porridge is every time I see him play. It’s getting hard to leave him out of our Heineken cup 23 these days. Is he ready for a big heineken cup game against a big pack?
He was fairly dominant against a team in the QF and played a big role in restricting 2 big ball carriers.

He's ready, he's not the only one. He does offer something different.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 30th, 2020, 6:24 am
Blueberry wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:30 pm Fabulous!!!! Although Ulster were absolute pants.....absolute garbage....

Frawley was outstanding, Dev in fine form, Cian Kelleher did a lot of good stuff and nice cameos from Harry, Milne and Ruddock....Nice to see Rob in charge at the back.

Enjoyed that.....
+1
Leo and Stuart made and executed a very rare experiment in any professional sport by starting a team totally (perhaps bar Dev) composed of secondary selections, albeit in a dead rubber and defeated a team intent on winning for their own purposes. This was a demonstration of coaching expertise and providing opportunities of the highest calibre.

A number of Leinster players took the opportunity to demonstrate their rate of development over the pandemic period whilst other showed they have retained their core standards without any loss of quality.

Very impressive across the board and now wondering just how much of an impression those displays will make on selection over the next three weeks
When you factor in that it was their first run out in so long it really is incredibly impressive by all concerned.

Just to take one example, Frawley making his first start at 12 and first appearance in so long after he had had an injury disrupted spell anyway but still managing to play so well in every facet is just phenomenal.

I wonder how much Lancaster has even been around since the return to training, you’d imagine that he’s missed a fair bit of it with travel home, yet they’ve put this together.

No matter what happens from now on, it’s just really impressive.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Posted on MFans after the game
Honestly, if Leinser manage to keep the bulk of the younger talent coming thru while keeping the guys like Ruddock, JVDF, both Porter and Furlong, re-sign Sexton, etc, the other provinces should demand an opening of the books b/c something wouldn't be right. Most, if not all of Leinster's B team could be starting elsewhere in Europe, there's no way their budget isn't outsized compared to the other provinces, and that isn't right. If that's the case,that their budget is far above the others, be open about it, but it would sort of cheapen their success.
Bitter? :mullet 1:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

blockhead wrote: August 30th, 2020, 12:56 pm Posted on MFans after the game
Honestly, if Leinser manage to keep the bulk of the younger talent coming thru while keeping the guys like Ruddock, JVDF, both Porter and Furlong, re-sign Sexton, etc, the other provinces should demand an opening of the books b/c something wouldn't be right. Most, if not all of Leinster's B team could be starting elsewhere in Europe, there's no way their budget isn't outsized compared to the other provinces, and that isn't right. If that's the case,that their budget is far above the others, be open about it, but it would sort of cheapen their success.
Bitter as a Tesco bag of lemons
I’ve actually heard from a reliable enough source that some Munster players are on massive money compared to their Leinster counter parts which maybe in the Leinster players minds gets them even more fired up when playing the boys from Shelbyville
So their logic that Leinster are getting bank rolled is farcical
If anything we could be pointing the finger and asking where is the funding for 2 Saffers on 500K per year coming from???

They really have lost the plot down there coming out with this spew!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think we probably have a bigger overall budget.

And the reason for that is we have produced more players who are on central contracts than any other province by a distance. If the budget is significantly bigger it's BECAUSE of our success.

Like what exactly is the MF poster saying here?! That the budgets should be artificially set as equal across all provinces irrespective of what they're delivering in success and player quality? Nonsense. That would only de-incentivise us to develop players and incentivise Munster to go back to not producing.

Also, didn't Munster get private/outside investment for Snyman/DDA and the UL development?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Also Birch made an interesting point on de telly, when referring to this very aspect and the possibility last year of Will Connors moving to Connacht. Jackman reckons - and I too have long believed - that ambitious Leinster players, who've come through the academy etc. would prefer to be getting their five or six starts with a successful Leinster - and the best of training, S&C, living in your native province, studying in UCD, etc. etc. - than 10 or 15 in some other less successful club where they know no one and would only be journeymen. Last night and the opposition involved, with nearly half the Ulster team former Leinster players, was the proof of that particular pudding, IMO.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Gearzbox2 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Bitter as a Tesco bag of lemons
I’ve actually heard from a reliable enough source that some Munster players are on massive money compared to their Leinster counter parts which maybe in the Leinster players minds gets them even more fired up when playing the boys from Shelbyville
So their logic that Leinster are getting bank rolled is farcical
If anything we could be pointing the finger and asking where is the funding for 2 Saffers on 500K per year coming from???

They really have lost the plot down there coming out with this spew!!!!
Lemons are sour.

Munster senior players have been very effective at publicity playing the France card and getting media support for a bit of help.

Leinster have been trimming squad and relying on academy more. Cheaper than a conveyer belt of signings. Leinster have a few more high paid internationals like Henshaw, Healy, Furlong.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Not sure how one would go about levelling the playing field when it comes to IRFU subsidies between the 4 provinces.

Without knowing the exact figure, you would have to suspect that Leinster probably get more than the 3 other provinces combined when it comes to direct wage subsidies.
I am not taking the stance that this should not happen btw.

I would love to see the figures across the board when it comes to IRFU assistance for all 4 franchises.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

munster#1 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 2:44 pm Not sure how one would go about levelling the playing field when it comes to IRFU subsidies between the 4 provinces.

Without knowing the exact figure, you would have to suspect that Leinster probably get more than the 3 other provinces combined when it comes to direct wage subsidies.

I would love to see the figures across the board when it comes to IRFU assistance for all 4 franchises.
It's not the IRFU's job to level the playing field between provinces if one of them is producing far more players of international standard, and winning more trophies. Although they have arguably been trying to do anyway that via supporting the other provinces with more NIQ signings, pressurising Leinster-developed players to move, stadium bailouts, etc.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

munster#1 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 2:44 pm Not sure how one would go about levelling the playing field when it comes to IRFU subsidies between the 4 provinces.

No matter what way you look at it - it was a pathetic post - bitter and twisted - end of
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

alanair wrote: August 30th, 2020, 3:16 pm

No matter what way you look at it - it was a pathetic post - bitter and twisted - end of
Not saying that I disagree with you, but it is an interesting topic.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 3:35 pm

You might change your tune when you hear the answer
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

ronk wrote: August 30th, 2020, 4:00 pm
munster#1 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 3:35 pm

You might change your tune when you hear the answer

You’re some optimist :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Leinster certainly spend by far the most on community rugby that I'm aware.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Morf wrote: August 30th, 2020, 7:26 pm Leinster certainly spend by far the most on community rugby that I'm aware.
I've never seen community rugby lift a world cup trophy. "Munster" have chosen where to spend their money and the big shiny baubles on display in Japan were a far sounder investment.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Will connors performance for me on sat against coetze and his amazing ability to chop tackle has made a very strong arguement for him being our 7 against sarries. The only way to stop big bruisers like vunipola etc is to stop them behind the line with ankle tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote: August 31st, 2020, 8:16 am Will connors performance for me on sat against coetze and his amazing ability to chop tackle has made a very strong arguement for him being our 7 against sarries. The only way to stop big bruisers like vunipola etc is to stop them behind the line with ankle tackles
Really good piece on his showing at the weekend here - https://www.the42.ie/will-connors-leins ... /#comments

How he dealt with Big Marcel was interesting. Would be a big selection call to start him against Sarries but if any coaches have the sthones to do it, it's Leo/Stu.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Munster lose money, we don't. Our model is built on the academy and strong commercial practice not big money imports, lot of the lads who played this weekend would not be on big money. When things become unbalanced players leave, we retain the best of them that's why the model is so successful.

Bit much really for someone from Munster to complain about financial irregularites given hat the IRFU wrote of the mortgage on their stadium partly because they were too precious to sell the naming rights.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Flash Gordon wrote: August 31st, 2020, 9:40 am
Munster lose money, we don't.
Is Leinster Rugby a profitable entity in its own right?