Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th. Live on TG4 & EirSport

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Pro 14 final, Sept 12th.

Post by riocard911 »

Blueberry wrote: September 5th, 2020, 9:30 pm Delighted for Mads :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mise freisin! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:

I would absolutely love Leavy to take part in this match - seeing as it was vs Ulster last season in the Heino QF that he got crocked -, be it even from the bench. Hopefully JR and Tadhg will be back too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Watching Ulster's first two games since the re-start, it looked like Ulster had gone through a real S&C preparation targeted on endurance rather than explosion. Last night, their final quarter may have given them the reward for this approach. Edinburgh looked quicker and sharper for the first half of a game played with much more pace and movement than even Leinster v Munster, first time around.

Ulster's stamina and pace in the last quarter was the difference between the teams. Certainly, McFarland's substitutions were significant, and brave, but the Red Hand conditioning was superb and should certainly give us food for thought.

Leiinster's selection and preparation may be influenced by Ulster's fitness and phyicality and certainly their pace in defence and attack will definitely provide a bigger test than a fortnight ago.

Obviously as a Leinster fan, I expect us to be able to beat them, but we're certainly going to have to play well to do so. The confidence that Ulster gained last night as a group will have given them a real boost and playing a team who believe in themselves is always dangerous in a knock-out game. Playing a team who have invested in a very arduous pre-season and are just beginning to see the benefits may also be more difficult than anticipated.

Last night'game was a very decent standard and even the Sarries management may now be more wary of the prospect of playing a Pro 14 team in a European Q/F.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

It will be strong for ulster as well in their away QF in champions cup knowing they went away in knockout rugby and managed to win. Empty grounds will help that
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hard to know which way Leo & Stu will go for this.

I think I'd go for something like:

Byrne, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Doris, Connors, Deegan, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Keenan, Larmour

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Fardy, VDF, McGrath, Byrne, ROL

With the likes of Healy, Tadhg, VDF coming on early to get 30 mins before Sarries.

Am assuming our Sarries starting side will be:
Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Doris, VDF, Conan

So getting as close to that to end the game might be a good strategy.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: September 6th, 2020, 10:59 am Hard to know which way Leo & Stu will go for this.

Byrne, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Doris, Connors, Deegan, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Keenan, Larmour

With the likes of Healy, Tadhg, VDF coming on early to get 30 mins before Sarries.

A strong bench might be a good idea against this lot.
Look, one way or another, there are going to be a lot of happy Leinster guys in the Aviva next weekend.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:11 am
wixfjord wrote: September 6th, 2020, 10:59 am Hard to know which way Leo & Stu will go for this.

A strong bench might be a good idea against this lot.
Look, one way or another, there are going to be a lot of happy Leinster guys in the Aviva next weekend.
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Anyone know if this is only on Eir again?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Have to take your hat off to the decisiveness of Dan McFarland's changes at halftime - Jordi, Cooney and Ludik off, with Reidy, Mathewson and Lowry on. Very, very rare that you see a coach make three changes at halftime.I actually can't remember having seen it at all in a match of any consequence.
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

hugonaut wrote: September 6th, 2020, 8:17 pm Have to take your hat off to the decisiveness of Dan McFarland's changes at halftime - Jordi, Cooney and Ludik off, with Reidy, Mathewson and Lowry on. Very, very rare that you see a coach make three changes at halftime.I actually can't remember having seen it at all in a match of any consequence.
Very bold calls. I thought Cooney was having a bad game, Jordi was ineffective, but am very impressed/surprised any coach would bench senior players like that at half time in a final. He got it right as well, which helps.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Logorrhea wrote:Anyone know if this is only on Eir again?
Beo ar TG4
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Twist wrote: September 6th, 2020, 9:24 pm
Logorrhea wrote:Anyone know if this is only on Eir again?
Beo ar TG4
Hurá!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

This is our 5th Final in a row btw.
PLUMBER record
semi
semi
winner
winner
runner-up
winner
finalist next weekend

Hands up for the Plumber. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 6th, 2020, 9:09 am Watching Ulster's first two games since the re-start, it looked like Ulster had gone through a real S&C preparation targeted on endurance rather than explosion. Last night, their final quarter may have given them the reward for this approach. Edinburgh looked quicker and sharper for the first half of a game played with much more pace and movement than even Leinster v Munster, first time around.

Ulster's stamina and pace in the last quarter was the difference between the teams. Certainly, McFarland's substitutions were significant, and brave, but the Red Hand conditioning was superb and should certainly give us food for thought.
Interesting. I had thought that we’re looking good later in the game against us. That would be one explanation, and clever if true. Most teams would naturally bulk in the gym with lockdown. Bucking the trend could be very advantageous.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th.

Post by mildlyinterested »

What a club Ulster are transforming into. Avoid a heavy defeat this Saturday against Leinster at the Aviva and McFarland’s young coaching ticket can point to genuine progress.

It’s the first professional ‘club’ in Irish rugby, rather than a province, since Pat Lam’s Connacht captured the Pro 12 title in 2016. Leinster are still a province, a well-oiled machine evolving in a similar vein to big football university environments like Penn State or Alabama.

While Munster plunge into all sorts of turmoil, and an identity crisis they seem to have no idea how to solve, McFarland has methodically added and tended to a squad of players from all over the place. Seven locals and seven Leinster recruits were fielded alongside three South Africans, two Kiwis, two Aussies and two English men.

That’s what a modern club looks like. Ulster are alive again and heading south with a squadron of Dubliners who no longer feel the need to prove themselves against their former team. The prodigal son line is getting old to the likes of Madigan and Jordi Murphy. They’re just teak tough professionals in search of contact extensions and perhaps the chance to leave a legacy worth remembering.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4347938
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Kicker accuracy is massively overdone by some pundits.

Everyone misses kicks, it’s easy to build a narrative on top of nothing. Kicks ca NB be measured by someone with almost no understanding of the game. Madigan did well but he’s been a good kicker for a long time. Munster didn’t lose because JJ missed 2 kicks, especially when Sexton missed one anyway.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:38 am
What a club Ulster are transforming into. Avoid a heavy defeat this Saturday against Leinster at the Aviva and McFarland’s young coaching ticket can point to genuine progress.

It’s the first professional ‘club’ in Irish rugby, rather than a province, since Pat Lam’s Connacht captured the Pro 12 title in 2016. Leinster are still a province, a well-oiled machine evolving in a similar vein to big football university environments like Penn State or Alabama.

While Munster plunge into all sorts of turmoil, and an identity crisis they seem to have no idea how to solve, McFarland has methodically added and tended to a squad of players from all over the place. Seven locals and seven Leinster recruits were fielded alongside three South Africans, two Kiwis, two Aussies and two English men.

That’s what a modern club looks like. Ulster are alive again and heading south with a squadron of Dubliners who no longer feel the need to prove themselves against their former team. The prodigal son line is getting old to the likes of Madigan and Jordi Murphy. They’re just teak tough professionals in search of contact extensions and perhaps the chance to leave a legacy worth remembering.
That's certainly one point of view but up until the 54th min of Saturdays game would the narrative have been same?

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Ulster in the slightest for this moment (and certainly not Ian M) but I'm not sure about this 'Modern Club' stuff! :shock:
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Logorrhea wrote: September 6th, 2020, 8:14 pm Anyone know if this is only on Eir again?
Live on TG4
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

The prodigal son line is getting old to the likes of Madigan...who played his first and only match against Leinster a week ago . Cheers Gav. Think he just wanted to name check a few of the goys.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:38 am

Ulster showed significant improvement last season and we were lucky to beat them. Their attendances are creeping up too - they were the second best attended club in the Pro 14 after us. They have a pretty large underage playing base albeit with an academy that doesn't seem to be working. They were also the biggest and most successful team in Ireland in the 80's and 90's and were, of course, the first Irish club to win the Champions Cup. Perhaps there's a changing of the guard happening.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Pro 14 final vs Ulster, Sept 12th. Live on TG4 & EirSport

Post by blockhead »

That was a brilliant bit of footwork by Lyttle for the 1st try, but he had a limp at the end of the match. Any news on Hendo, Addison, Faddes? Baloucoune is out for bit too is he not?
Their squad is quite decent when all fit, especially at half back.